Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 155 reviews
on May 24, 2013
The definitive story about the Rolling Stones ends on the "Some Girls" songs showing how the guys made it to mainstream popularity. I find that strange since the band played another thirty plus years. As a documentary too much time is spent on out of control audiences and the Stones being bad boys with the law and drugs. What about the music? The positives are excellent, vintage clips throughout and the band members interviews. Keith Richards as usual is funny, slurred voice and all. Some other good stuff is in detail: Brian Jones death/Hyde Park concert; Altamont; And why all the personnel changes. (Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood). Ian Stewart isn't mentioned which is a major blunder if were talking Rolling Stones. The bonus section is really good, showing lots of complete songs from the mid-1960s. As a story it is no "25 X 5 The Continuing Adventures Of The Rolling Stones" in any shape or form. (That film covers the very beginning by far better; the fallout of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards; Rock Hall of Fame induction; their wives; Blues influences of Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf in film; Clips with the Beatles, other groups and much more thru 1989). So in summary "Crossfire Hurricane" has its moments, but I wouldn't tag this DVD as the definitive story. Maybe "Prime Years" or "1963 to 1978". I guess another DVD will be in the making for the 2nd half. If any fans out there own "25 X 5", my advice is hold on to it. "Crossfire Hurricane" is good, not great.
on June 5, 2017
Fun and concise history of the stones. Lots of interviews mixed with some good concert footage. If you are a Stone's fan you should have it. I saw them get tear gassed in Lynn MA at the Manning Bowl during Satisfaction in 1966. Concert lasted maybe 20 minutes in the rain before the crowd rushed through the perimeter gating and the kids up front rushed the stage. Cops were trying to drag Keith off the stage and he was running around hitting them with his guitar. Saw them three years later at the Boston Garden during the Get yer ya ya's out tour in '69 again in 72 and 75 then twice for Steel Wheels in Foxboro, Ma. I could feel the heat from the gas torch explosions while sitting in the fifth row. and one more time where the Florida Panthers play NHL hockey. I AM A STONES FAN. If you are buy this and put up with vintage footage.
on May 14, 2013
With the risk of sounding obsessed, I have watched this documentary over 70X!!!! I DVR'd it when HBO first showed it, and I watch it over and over whenever I have free time. This documentary should be nominated for awards with the way Bret Morgan has brilliantly put this masterpiece together. He chronicles the Stones from the beginning with great footage with Brian all the way until when Woody joins the group. He does a wonderful job covering the problems with Brian, Altamont, the Stones' exile to France and so much more. The music is so perfect that was chosen for each part of this documentary. Lots of focus on the Exile to Main Street days with Mick Taylor, when I think the band was at it's best!
Amazon is offering this excellent DVD for only $9.99!!! Trust me if you are a Stones fan or know someone who is, this is a must have for their collection!!!
I have enjoyed the art of the Rolling Stones for four decades. So, on the one hand, I enjoy this. On the other hand, it is a bit disappointing in its scope.

My notes show a wide range of events that struck me on this DVD: Dick Cavett's presence on the DVD, the concert footage ("Street Fighting Man," for instance), life on tours, audiences and their reaction to the Stones, Andrew Loog Oldham, media interviews (e.g., someone asking Charlie Watts about why the Stones were successful and his succinct answer--"The music!"), Brian Jones and his role with the Stones and with his demise, the Hyde Park concert and Jones, Mick Taylor and Ron Woods taking over Jones' role, Altamount and its horror, Kaith Richards' legal troubles in Canada. . .

My only wish? The story ends too early. We do not really get a view of the Stones later on. Bill Wyman's departure, Keith's and Mick's on and off relationship, the ambitious world tours, the challenges (Charlie's health problems), and so on.

So, the bottom line? I really enjoyed this. But it felt incomplete. . . .
on September 27, 2015
In the time space of a documentary Crossfire Hurricane covers the history of the RR so well that even young fans growing up in the 2000s can appreciate and come to love this long standing band that has worked its way through a lot of adversity over the years. In spite of the difficulties of drug abuse, the hells angels and other asides the band has created and continues to create rock and roll of the highest caliber with fine instrument work and good . And they still move around, not fossilized nor forgotten with no excuse for age. Love the movie and feel that all music lovers of the 20th century took take a look, and the young kids too.
on February 17, 2014
As a lifelong Stones fan, having instantly switched allegiance from The Beatles with the release of "Satisfaction," I was hoping that this project would be the unvarnished account of the Stones' fifty-year history that all the others haven't been. While it is better than most (while maintaining that current annoying fascination with quick-cutting that doesn't allow your eye to rest on anything), it is still being seen through the sanitizing eyes of Mick Jagger, who was a producer on the film. It's brilliant at covering the first seven or eight years of the band, but then underplays Brian Jones' death by misadventure, the huge contribution of Mick Taylor, Keith's addictions and the impact that had on the band, the feud between Mick and Keith in the early 1980s, and basically the entire history of the band for the last thirty years, which is a pretty deep trench.

Still, there is archival footage here that I've never seen, particularly from the first five years, and the delivery of the story is well-told and well-paced for what it is. And yet, I still have this hope that a great director like Martin Scorsese will come along and do for the Stones what Scorsese did for George Harrison and Bob Dylan, and give us a real warts-and-all comprehensive study of this greatest rock and roll back of all time. That probably means waiting until Mick doesn't exercise control over content, which mean I could be very old by then.
on June 26, 2017
crappy filming - like Blair Witch Project - not very clear who was videotaping but looked like amateur filming - still a very interesting story!
on January 9, 2014
My Daughter's 1st concert @ 16 I took her to see The Stones @ Shea Stadium in NY, we had grass seats. I heard on the phone talking to a friend, she said " My Mom is taking me to see The Rolling Fossles, @ least Living Color is opening for them" I screamed "Sacralege!" How a 1 hit wonder could compare to this band??
Anyway 1/2 way thru Honkey Tonk Woman, I looked @ my daughter & she was standing on her chair DANCING! I tugged @ her & sais "Not bad for a bunch of fossles?"
She replied, "Mom They Are Great!"
After that she was all in my cassests of Janis, Jimmy & OMG! The Doors! After the movie came out MIND NUMBING!
I introduced her to my young world, which I lived thru my older Sister. & she LOVED IT!
Music, real music & there's Blues, R&B, Rock, Pop & Soft Rock that is just the Joint! & Not's forget Pastey Cline! That Woman could Wail!
on February 1, 2014
I would have thought this documentary would go to the current day but it stops shortly after Ronnie joined the band which was the Black & Blue album in the mid seventies. I was expecting to see the Bigger Bang Tour. I also expected a lot more current in depth interviews from everyone in the band. It's heavily weighted to the early Stones and is probably the most comprehensive piece you could view from that era including a lot on Brian Jones. So if your primary focus is the early Stones you'll like this but if you're like me and expected a complete history you'll be disappointed.
on December 16, 2014
This documentary covers almost exclusively the first 20 years of the Stones' career. For real Stones fans this is not what they hoped for. Almost nothing of the periode 1983-2012. But, this USA re-release is far better than the European release, as it has unique extra's: shows from the early 60's (NME Pollwinner concerts and more). Although mentioned here as region A, my copy was region free. So a good buy for European fans.