Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 100 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 152 reviews
on July 10, 2016
Major waste of time. Watched it after a friend recommended it to me when I told her that I'd never had a crazy roommate.
I spent the first 1 hour and 10 minutes basically admiring how beautiful the main characters were, wishing I could have such feminine features, and shaking my head at how unrealistically polite those college girls were-- while simultaneously being bored to death. A couple of good suspense scenes towards the last 15 minutes. Would recommend for the insomniac.
on January 3, 2017
Love Minka Kelly and her style in this movie, very tasteful and builds dignity within the thinking of the viewer as they watch the movie! I really feel for her roommate who starts to lose it bit by bit. It makes me wonder how many young women are out there who are just like her. Who just need someone to be there for them, give them hugs, pay attention to them, emotionally build them up. That's all her roommate really wants deep down inside. Obviously counseling, and talking about what happened to her would work her through a healing process but she seems to be a person who lacks having a family life, and emotional love which every human being needs. That's what I chose to see in the roommate. I girl starving for attention, nurturing, and love in an non sick way.
on June 12, 2011
I do not understand all the criticism this movie is getting. Perhaps it is because I have never seen the often mentioned "Single White Female" and therefore haven't seen how heavily this movie is plagiarized, but in any event that type of thing is common in Hollywood. Also I prefer more "conservative" movies so if SWF was R and this was PG-13, I would inevitably prefer "The Roommate." I have some experience with both mental illness and social isolation and could therefore relate to this movie, although it was certainly not perfect.
I recognized Minka Kelly from the TV show "Parenthood" but I did not recognize any of the other cast members. I'm only 28 but I guess I am not that hip apparently. The Tracy character reminded me of Paris Hilton. Was that intentional?
It appears that Sara is about to start college and has a very troubled roommate with a very serious case of bi-polar disorder (Rebecca). Rebecca also appears to be struggling with lesbianism which is possibly in conflict with her religious beliefs. Rebecca is glad to have a roommate as maybe now she can finally have a friend. She clearly hasn't had very many. There seem to be some very genuine BFF like moments. The point where Sara looks at Rebecca's Facebook page and announces that she is Rebecca's best friend is very touching.
However it was not meant to be. Although Sara initially is very friendly toward Rebecca, as her mental condition becomes more and more obvious, Sara eventually wants to break off all communication with Rebecca. This leads to the climactic scene where Rebecca is killed in self-defense.
I found the movie to be thoroughly interesting from beginning to end. The soundtrack worked well for the movie. The haunting scenes had very good music. I had to look away when Rebecca was cutting herself and when she killed Cuddles. Ironically her murder of Jason was easier to take. I guess that's the liberal media for you LOL.
The film certainly has holes, such as why Tracy didn't call the police, how the police dealt with Rebecca's death, and was Rebecca a lesbian struggling with her sexual orientation? She did want to date one of her high school classmates, the one "she was never friends with", didn't she? Also I was a bit confused about the scene where Rebecca catches Sara's design professor. How did Rebecca know how to trap him so easily? Why did he think the tape would get him? Well it got him somehow.
I also don't understand Rebecca and Irene's relationship. They made out in a lesbian bar restroom and then went to Irene's apartment. Is that when Irene was tied up or did they have sex that night? If the kiss was insincere, wouldn't Irene have been able to snuff it out? Rebecca does not show any interest in a heterosexual romantic relationship in the film. Was Rebecca trying to make out with Sara in the fight scene? It seemed like she was.
Despite confusing moments, this was a very interesting and compelling film.
on November 23, 2012
The Roomate is quite an entertaining movie if you want to know how someone can be so obsessed over her best friend's private life. The story is somewhat pretty old but when it comes to murder, then people start paying more attention to the main character as much as the others. I know that these kind of movies are B-grade and better off just watching with your close college friends. Hey, but at least you won't get bored and doze off if the story is this interesting, right guys.
on October 17, 2015
The quality of this DVD is exceptional—not a single mark on it, as if brand new. This is a great / suspenseful movie to watch, especially around Halloween. Very happy with this purchase.
on March 19, 2017
Works great no scratches or anything
on July 29, 2010
Childhood friends who now room together and have an intense, loving bond (but not the lesbian lover relationship that's in the product details) are the focus of this derivitive J-Horror entry from Cinema Epoch. As a fan of most of their releases, something told me this one wasn't going to rate high on the production value meter, and I was right. Sometimes, it sucks to be right... It's a familiar formula with an over-used storyline akin to dozens of other Asian horror flicks, and it's a tired one with stretch marks and liver spots that's been done better many times before. Being shot on video, there's no room for post-production special effects, which bodes poorly for horror films. So there's no palpable terror, shocks or WTF moments we've come to expect from this genre. As a result, there are too many predictible scenes and a ghost spirit we're way familiar with to derive any horror from, kinda like a dreadful relative that makes holiday visits. Was it painfully bad? No. But you won't be sad to see this 'Roommate' pack their bags either...
on March 21, 2017
Cool!
on April 23, 2017
Nice twist.
on February 1, 2017
Suspense at a top notch level