Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on December 6, 2009
Quite good as reference, even if sometimes you can get the information faster by just googling it, often the book gives you a more reasoned explanation and better pointers to related topics.
on June 17, 2008
It is an excellent book for people new to Ruby, or having previous background in ObjectOriented languages. It provides detailed write ups with working examples.
on March 27, 2007
This book has a very good design. In each chapter, one aspect of Ruby is explained in great detail. The examples also help a lot on comprehending the language.
on August 4, 2008
This book is very thorough and a pleasure to read- there are great code examples in it as well.
on November 9, 2006
Just to say I have almost every Ruby and every Rails book out here,

To me, his one is by far the best.

The writing style is very good, and even if the author says it's not intended as a tutorial, you could definitively use it to learn Ruby from scratch too.
on February 18, 2012
The Ruby Way is a cookbook. I knew that before I bought it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with the format. But it has to be judged in context - it was one of the first English-language Ruby texts, which is nice, but it currently coexists with hundreds of Ruby references and several million Google results. So what does it offer over the competition? Not much!

Basically, what's wrong with this book is the superficiality and specificity of all the examples. I know that sounds contradictory, but in fact the problem is that all the topic areas are covered too shallowly to be of any real use, and the examples provided are dubiously useful. The worst point in the book may be when Fulton spends a page or two explaining how to find the date of Easter in an arbitrary year. For the 1% of Ruby programmers who need to determine when Easter occurs (and can't just look at a calendar for some reason, I guess), wouldn't they find it easy to just look up an algorithm and take a minute converting it to Ruby? Lots of the examples are super-specific like this and Fulton seems rather uninterested in explaining interesting technical tricks about them, or showing how to adapt them to non-hypothetical problems. When I say coverage is superficial, this is what I mean - every topic gets twenty or so examples, but some of them are so simple that they're useless to anyone who's read "Programming Ruby", while there are lots of super-specialized options that totally fail to cover the topics in depth. For another example, the chapter on graphics covers a handful of toolkit options but someone who read the chapter wouldn't be able to build a useful application in any of them, because only the absolute basics for each toolkit are covered. Again and again Fulton makes this same mistake.

The more I think about it the more I wonder if there's a kind of incompatibility between Ruby and this book format - Ruby is so easy and intuitive that you don't really need to memorize or write huge blocks of code to do basic stuff, and so much of this text is wasted on just that kind of thing. On the plus side, the code seems correct and competently designed, but I find it hard to care when I have no use for it. As an intermediate programmer, the ostensible target audience for this book, I am clueless as to who would find this book worthwhile.
on August 25, 2010
It is written well and in a simple style so readers can understand easily. And it is very complete -- I searched online for Iconv info but this book provided the best and correct information. If only the author can write about Relativity as well, then I am sure it will be more understandable.
on September 6, 2008
I am thrilled by this book. So many books cover things like sockets without going into detail on important things like non-blocking I/O... which is what you usually need. There's enough detail and especially sensible code to make it an excellent reference even thougn it covers many topics.

A real treasure, and very readable as well as insightful. I've still got a lot of material to cover, and I'm looking forward to every minute of it.
on May 12, 2007
Rdoc is great, and deeper than this book, but The Ruby Way is better in terms of examples. O'Reilly books really don't do it for me with Ruby, and I don't even know if they have a Ruby Cookbook, but it doesn't even matter.

This is the only Ruby book I have that isn't from the Pragmatic Programmer's publishing company. I recommend starting with this book, then working your way through the Pragmatic series if you want to get your black belt in Ruby.