Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick New Salon & Spa Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on April 13, 2013
Excellent source for weightlifting information for beginners and experienced lifters. I work out with a trainer, and many of the exercises she has showed me are in this book. They are well-illustrated and explained (why you should do them).
on April 19, 2013
I saw this book at an out of town book store, and when I read the back cover and it started with "Aching shoulders, creaky knees, ......" I was immediately interested.it looked like just what I was looking for. I leafed through the book and it looked so promising. Structured warm ups and recovery work, functional push, pull, squat, hip hinge, and split stance movements. It used a lot of equipment but I already had accumulated most of it as I had been working out at home for a year. I didn't have the extra cash that trip so when I got home I looked it up on amazon. The only unfavorable review was about the equipment needed so I ordered it, and did my best to follow the program to the letter for 5 weeks before my knees and shoulders wouldn't let me continue.
I don't get the RAMP at all, you start with a static hip flexor stretch, no warm up at all?Then a couple other movements but nothing that really got you ready for the squat to stand. I believe this was the first major issue that began making my knees from just creaky to downright painful. The wall slide stretches for the shoulders didn't seem to help my painful shoulders but instead aggravated and made them worse.
Then you start the actual "workout" section. It's confusing! The first 2 weeks it took me 2+ hours per workout trying to figure out what I should be doing, not including all the time I spent re reading after the workouts trying to figure out what I was missing. Then at the 4 week and 8 week mark the program changes and you have to take time to tweak things again. The description for all the exercises are very brief, usually a short paragraph and two still pictures. Little to no info on proper form. Someone complained about this point in the official forum for the program to which Lou Schuler replied "I'm not Mark Rippetoe, we don't have 80 pages to explain how to squat..... that's not our audience" . Umm, I am your audience and though 80 pages might be excessive, at least a full page on each with pics from a different angles would have been nice!
Still not sure if the stabilization part of the workout if your supposed to each exercise once and repeat like the strength section, or if you were supposed to do each exercise twice then move to the next. Then the second level of progression in the stability is a side plank on one leg. That was a definite learning experience. I was able to easily complete the first progression with my legs together, but I now know for sure that if your middle aged and overweight that your knees are not meant to bear weight in that direction. After doing this exercise only twice my knees still are recovering. Let me also state that there are a number of inconsistencies in the all of the exercise progressions, of which the side plank is good example. As I said level 2 is bearing the weight on one knee, level 3 is both knees together again, but with feet elevated slightly. Level 3 is much easier.
After stability you move to a power move. So you ramp up, then do 8-10 minutes of mostly static exercise, and then do an explosive movement. ???
There are some positives, Lou Schuler does give some good solid down to earth advice as far as fitness and nutrition, and he does it personably and with a lot of humor and he is fairly active in the forum. The book also introduced me to foam roller work for recovery. That's pretty much it though.
I know I have been very critical about this book but I truly believe its well deserved. Before you think I'm just a complainer I'd like state that over the past year I've done Jillian Michaels beginner front and back workouts 5 days a week for a couple months, RIP:60 also for two months, a 9 week couch to 5k app, and Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" 10 weeks of basic, and 4 weeks of the first class (2nd level), and would recommend any of those home fitness programs.
I even went last week and tried a crossfit class, and although there were many similarities to this workout, the RAMP was structured much better and there was a great deal of emphasis on form first. I thought my heart might blow out my chest, but it was much easier on the joints. I liked it so much better I signed up for the month long fundamentals program!
on April 1, 2014
Really interesting approach to fitness. The assessment reminds me of Framework and The Men's Health Better Body Book; find out where you are, evaluate weaknesses, then a (unique) stepwise exercise plan. Not really simple, but looks easy to follow (have had for a few days only). I'm somewhat older, but enjoy the gym, and more than ever realize the need to preserve/increase strength, muscle, and balance (there is a strong emphasis on strength exercises with a balance component, but nut just BOSU/balance ball exercises, but more functional ones); this looks like a great approach. Wide variety of exercises, most have about five degrees of difficulty, working up throught each cycle, but allowing you to start higher if appropriate.
on August 25, 2013
I have been working out since I was 17 and am a researcher by nature. After I went through Menopause (I'm David's wife :))everything I thought I knew kind of didn't work so well anymore. Then I met a woman on a cruise that (she looked fabulous at 41) told me about this book and I came home and borrowed it from my local library. My results came fairly quickly which boosted my confidence. I bought the book to ensure I would continue to do it correctly.

I have been doing this work out for a little over 2 months and love how much stronger I feel and look. My diet has been very good for 10 years (low carb) so now with this book I feel like I have the other piece of the puzzle.
on April 26, 2012
One of the best parts of this book is that you get to pick your own exercises. No, you don't have to be your own trainer, but you get to participate in your own program design. Other programs might tell you to do an exercise that you just can't do because of an injury or lack of equipment OR because it's simply too hard or too easy. Not a problem with NROL4L because there are a ton of alternate exercise from which to choose.

Also, because it's a template, you don't have to stop after you're done with the program; simply choose new, different, or tougher exercises and get back at it! The book delivers more exercises than any previous volume of NROL, and in a way that makes it easy to follow and learn.

New Rules of Lifting for Life is one of those books that every fitness enthusiast needs to read. The advice is golden, straight shooting, and as funny as Lou Schuler can be. The book has sound advice for all of us, man or woman, including how to get lean, get strong, get or stay healthy, and look good. I don't know about you, but I want to look good for years to come. ;)

While it can be hard to see exercises, charts, and tables on a kindle screen, Lou provides access to downloadable form and workout logs, so that's not a problem with ANY New Rules of Lifting book! In fact, the forms make the training process that much better! Great idea!
on June 11, 2012
I found "The New Rules of Lifting for Life .." to be an excellent book. However, I wish I had purchased a hard copy instead of down loading the book to my Kindle (the reason for the four stars). I've been looking for a fitness book that considers aging issues as an important factor for training. I'm not 30, and I can't lift and run as I could at 30. The authors recognized that physical decline is inevitable, but how fast one declines depends on the individual. Their program is designed to help one become a stronger and healthier 50 year-old or 55 year-old, etc. But, since "The New Rules..." contains photos of men and women performing various exercises as well as program charts, they can be access quickly with a hard copy and much easier than one can navigate with Kindle controls.[[ASIN:1583334610 The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams].
on May 16, 2013
I have been working out and designing my own workouts for decades. I found this book to be an excellent update for me, and it helped me create a sensible workout for my older years that is more in line with current research. I felt very energized after the first workout from this book. The author stresses the importance of making modifications to suit your individual physical quirks and includes important cautions that help exercisers avoid injury.
on April 26, 2012

on December 20, 2012
This program is perfect for those of us approaching (or in) middle age.

No nonsense, simple to follow and interesting enough to keep you going.

I am four weeks into the program and seeing great results plus feeling great.
on September 2, 2013
The book was very informative and will written. I felt like the author was talking directly to me and addressing many of my concerns regarding training. Diagrams were sufficient to understand the various exercises.