Industrial Deals Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on May 19, 2016
I find Heschel’s writings timeless and classic and The Sabbath is no exception. Though this book is dedicated to Jewish followers, I do not think that it is exclusive for them. The Sabbath or day of rest has a powerful meaning regardless of your religious belief or philosophy. A spiritual rest day has a deep and penetrating significance and Heschel mystically touches on all aspects of it. There is a major focus on Time which brought a whole new meaning to me. For those that believe in G-d, this book brings out G-d’s intention for the Sabbath. I highly recommend to read this and even practice.
VINE VOICEon September 11, 2013
I expected this book to be about Sabbath observations, about lighting candles and saying prayers, and refraining from work. Or at least I expected it to be purely nostalgic, evoking the penetrating smell of warm challah or the memory of being young and having everyone in your family around. But Abraham Joshua Heschel was having none of the usual expectations. He wanted nothing less than a re-thinking of what time meant in relation to space, in particular the one-seventh of the week that constitutes the Jewish Sabbath. The Sabbath, that "island in time," that foretaste of heaven requires a readjustment of how we see and experience reality. Heschel forces us to remove the blindfold placed over our eyes by society and our own limitations. We see anew. We have a fresh vision of the possibilities not just of the Sabbath but of life itself. Now this is a book.
on November 9, 2017
This was my first introduction to the writing of A.J. Heschel after seeing some of his prose in another book. This slim book is easy to read and contains such beautiful prose. A wonderful addition to any Jewish library and a great gift for those who love to read. This edition has a beautiful cover and the quality of the book and binding are excellent. I would order this again just to share copies with friends.
on February 16, 2016
An impressive mind, and great writing for a philosopher. I probably highlighted a third of the book, there are so many insights and quotables in it. I also found the forward by Heschel's daughter to be exceptionally well conceived. I mean, it's so poignant and evocative that a movie could/should be made about her family's celebration of the Sabbath, so as to bring this man's wisdom to today's world. Heschel really has caused me to think about Sabbath in a wholly different way. He's at least caused me to ponder the relationship of—and distinction between—space and time. It seems to me that the greatest need of knowledge workers anymore is to find soul rest. Everybody's so damn busy and stressed. And everybody's trying to become optimally "effective," all the while pining away for significance in what they do. What a profoundly freeing thought it is that "in the realm of spirit, there is no difference between a second and a century, between an hour and an age."
on September 26, 2017
Learning how to observe Shabbat after not being so observant for many years is a challenge
and most instruction is about 'do's and mostly don'ts" with little spiritually deep learning.
However, this book is wonderful for having Shabbats that are deeply meaningful
and restful
on October 12, 2017
Everyone needs to read this for a better understanding of what God meant when He said to keep His Sabbath holy. The churches through history has distorted the meaning and then employed anti-Jewish concepts to move His Sabbath to Sundays, the day ancients gave service to the sun god.
on March 1, 2018
I LOVED this book so much that I bought it for my children. I'm not Jewish but as a Christian it helped me understand the Sabbath more fully and I committed to strive to make it even more holy than we have in the past. The beginning is so "deep" that I had to read it slowly and am going to read it again so that I can speak to others accurately about the information he teaches us.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 30, 2017
One of my favorites, and I keep a few copies on hand to share with friends. I'm Jewish so I'm always interested to see what my non-Jewish friends take away.

R Heschel (z'l) was a brilliant scholar, which makes this very approachable, readable text that much more valuable to an average reader. Every time I dip back in, for a chapter or even just a few paragraphs, I find some new insight.
on November 20, 2017
The book is great, everyone should read it, yes yes yes.

Now onto the PRODUCT review. I like the large margins as they are great for taking notes and such. The paper backing is very soft, I could easily bend the book in half on accident. I would have liked the paperback to be a little more durable.
review image
on January 27, 2001
Dipping into the pages of this thin volume is like drinking from a fresh spring in an oasis; it satisfies, but never stops bubbling up from below, refreshing again and again. Though it might not affect others as it did me, this work launches my mind off on a chain of speculations. And "The Sabbath" is quite poetic! Every (!) page is filled with gems like the following (p67): "A thought has blown the market place away. There is a song in the wind and joy in the trees. The Sabbath arrives in the world, scattering a song in the silence of the night: eternity utters a day." Another: "Israel is engaged to eternity. Even if they dedicate six days of the week to worldly pursuits, their soul is claimed by the seventh day."
"The Sabbath" is also intellectually satisfying. Heschel offers fresh ways of looking at existence: "...time is that which never is the world of space which is rolling through the infinite expanse of time."
At the level of daily existence, this work challenges a common perspective, asserting: "Labor is the means toward an end, and the Sabbath as a day of rest, as a day of abstaining from toil, is not for the purpose of becoming fit for the forthcoming labor. The Sabbath is a day for the sake of life. Man is not for the purpose of enhancing the efficiency of his work."
I mentioned that "The Sabbath" unleashed my speculative mind. For example, I tried to imagine the bubble of space-time suspended in an otherness we call God. Space is visible, filled with things; time is invisible but no less real. We and all around us float atop the river of time.... It occurred to me that at all instants, we are supported by the otherness that is in front of us in time, as well behind us in time. I drifted into another rumination: The First and Second Temples were works of men. While wandering in Sinai, tents were sufficient. And today, with neither temple nor tent, our new temple is one of temporal structures, carried inside each of us from place to place. Then, thinking of thingness, it occurred to me that Moses destroyed the tablets upon which the Divine laws were inscribed. He left the broken slabs where they fell. The stone was merely a tool - not the substance. The words (seemingly evanescent) were the truly enduring element.
I hope other readers of this volume will find it the springboard for meditation that I found it to be. I recommend it in the belief that it will.