Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon counterpart counterpart counterpart  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on January 2, 2018
So so
on December 3, 2009
This book is an encyclopedia format, in your face, right to the facts book about; food, cooking methods, techniques, meat identification, and basically anything you need or want to know with anything that has anything to do with food. I can honestly say it has made an impact on the way I cook and think about food. Some of the reading is hard to follow, for instance when they describe the exact molecules that produce flavor (amexlycyclitecaratine) that is not a real word but they do appear like that in the book.
on November 16, 2008
I bought the book for a friend of mine who was a chemistry major. He loves it! We started cooking gourmet meals together as a hobby, and he always had a lot of questions that I could not answer. "What's the difference between searing and browning?" "What's the difference between baking powder and baking soda?"
This book gives very detailed break down of food and ingredients. You will love it if you enjoy watching Alton Brown's food science show.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2015
Great for anybody who wants to know how and why things work in the kitchen.
on December 26, 2009
Very well written and full of useful information.
I always wanted to understand how the ingredients interacted with themselves in the recipes. It is such an easy and enjoyable reading that I could bet that everyone (even people that do not like cooking) would like this book.
on June 28, 2015
The binding was broken, but I can still read it
on July 23, 2014
Excellent companion to your kitchen cookbooks. Explains different ingredients and cooking methods in a fun, easy-to-understand way.
on March 11, 2013
My wife and I both cook ( I was an Army cook for two years, back in the day) and find this to be a useful and fascinating reference.
on January 11, 2009
This was purchased as a gift for my son, the geeky gourmet, and he likes it. It's a big, thick book that works and reads rather like an encyclopedia. In my quick review of it I found it does cover the science of food and cooking in a detailed and thorough way. However the format of the pages and presentation of the information is a bit dull. Alton Brown's books (I'm Just Here for the Food, for example) cover similar, though less scientific, ground and make it more fun.
on April 1, 2012
This is an expensive book. I decided to purchase it based on the reviews I read thinking it would be worth the price. I found the information not to be interesting nor useful so it will be sent back. I have Harold McGee's "Keys to Good Cooking" and think that book is much more useful (also his book will stay open when it is laid down, very helpful when you are trying to look at the book and prepare food at the same time!)