Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on May 15, 2010
I bought this book because it focused on the fascinating "lost weekend" of Steve Jobs, starting from his ejection from Apple in 1985 to his return 11 years later. While I devoured the book quickly, the entire work has a stench about it - it reeks of a rushed, vindictive flame job. The book falls apart completely at the end, the author rushes so badly. Almost all sources are individuals thrown out of the Kingdom of Steve (people who have failed him in some way or another) with hardly any input from current Apple directors and executives who have worked successfully with Jobs for decades. By the end I found myself questioning every conclusion the author reaches (which was easy considering he predicted defeat and disgrace that never happened) and wondering to myself, "What's the point?" The general tone is that the author doesn't like Jobs but he also doesn't "get" the man either, and neither do many of the author's sources. One former executive of Applecare described Jobs complaining about tech support at Apple as being a bunch of clueless idiots (at which point the executive is removed from the company) and I thought to myself, tech support at most companies are the rudest people I've ever talked to, yet Apple has ranked #1 in that area for 10 years? Maybe Jobs understands something this author doesn't.
on September 18, 2015
My favorite book on Steve Jobs. I have recently read a ton of them while working on a recent project and will probably plow through a bunch more. Unlike other viewers, I just don't see the "flaming" here. It seems any time an author is less than adoring — almost canonizing, really — about Jobs, someone calls foul. Or if they include any personal details, it's criticized as "gossip." It's called "rounding out the character," and really, what a unique character. Yes, the end is rushed and some future assumptions are way off base, but that's part of what makes connecting the dots in hindsight so much fun.
on December 14, 2015
Very dated book at this point as it covers up to about 2001-2002 and starts right after Jobs left Apple. Still, a good read and worth my money!
on November 24, 2000
I'm going to have to re-read this book as a result of some of the glowing comments by the other reviewers. My first take on "Second Coming of Steve Jobs" left me with a negative impression. I know more about Mr. Jobs than most I must admit, I expected to find an indepth biography about a man who shaped our lives in more ways than you'd care to admit. Instead I sensed a bias and a deep dislike from the author for his subject matter. I agree with the other reviewer, I found the writing to be choppy, jumping from one period to another resulting in a blurred and confused picture. You'd think that over the span of 15 years, that Steve Jobs has matured or changed very little. I find that immensely difficult to believe. While it is true Seve Jobs is intense, his vision has not changed and that we average blokes would not begin to appreciate. I don't know about you, but he's changed my life profoundly and I thank him for it. As for Mr. Deutschman of magazine fame, I always thought writers were supposed to be unbias and impartial. Not so with this writing.
on December 14, 2016
I've read a few Steve Jobs book. This isn't bad.
on October 22, 2000
If you want juicy tidbits about personal moments with Steve Jobs - then this is a good fast read - if you want any insight into Steve Jobs - this is a even faster read because there isn't any. Don't buy this book if you want any depth - analysis - insight - anything other than personal moments with Steve Jobs.
This biographical thing (let's not say a book) is a mish mash of accounts of Steve Jobs actions and non-action. There is the tyrannical BAD STEVE and the benevolent GOOD STEVE - but then there is the horrible writing of the author and lack of any direction - or any support to the conclusion of the book.
My Positive Note: The one good thing I would have to say about this book is all the history on Pixar and Next that I didn't know about....other than that....stay away and wait until someone comes out with a book that Steve Jobs can at least admit has some interesting - fairly portrayed points about his life or he writes his own book.
on October 23, 2000
Must admit I thought this book would be harder on Steve Jobs than it turned out. All the pre-published rumors and ?efforts to stop it made me think it would be real anti-Jobs. While I wouldn't like the book if I was Steve Jobs, I must say that Deutschman brings makes some aspects of the Jobs story quite positive in my mind. He paints a complex individual who truly has accomplished a lot in such a short time. I do hope that someday Steve Jobs tells the story from his view.
on March 9, 2013
I have read different Jobs biographies. I admire him and wanted to know more about the person. This biography was not liked by Jobs, as it did go into fields or opinion he did not like at all.

But after reading four biographies including the official one, i would say they are all similar, but this one is the most easy reading one and absorbing.

It lacks the last years, which is a lot, so you need a complementary biography for them.

In any case, I do not think we will have perspective of the inherotance of Steve Jobs till a decade has elapsed. They we will look back in wonder and the full story will have real dimension.

A good book,Ii bought for my ipad, obviously.

Do not get upset Amazon. There are two kindles in my family, as well.
on January 24, 2005
It's great to see a different perspective on Jobs. So many books are either too nice to him, or too mean. This one is much more balanced than most, and has testaments from all sorts of people in Steve's life, and covers the bases as well as is possible without Steve participating. The best part is that it really focuses in on a portion of Steve's life that is often ignored in stories about Apple and Steve- NeXT and Pixar.
on September 4, 2014