Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 98 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on April 16, 2016
I had read references to this book for many years. I had even thought that I must have read it in those heady years when "women's lib" was so widely discussed. Recently, I came across a few more references, and decided that the Kindle version would allow me to peruse it without committing myself to something that might be beyond my interest or my tolerance for boredom. I found it fascinating up as far as Book Two. I highlighted numerous passages for further thought and possible use in my own writing. Then the sheer weight of her arguments and the interminable repetitions got to me. I found myself skimming. Okay, I get it, I kept thinking. Enough already. It's not that I found a lot to argue about; she's right, for the most part. Maybe I'm just past the age where some of her assertions matter much to me personally.
I recommend it to anyone, especial males, as a thorough introduction to the question of gender equality, as pertinent today as it was in the years it appeared.
on December 20, 2016
This should be a must-read for any woman starting out on adult life, because it clearly lays out the forks in the road we will experience, and explores the human condition of half the population with a relatively objective eye. I found it stunningly relevant today, to my life, as a professional woman in technology.
on June 21, 2016
Simone de Beauvoir makes her points very well. She does get a bit over-done with biology is destiny. Because women are burdened with being the mothers of any clan, they allegedly are destined to be subordinate to men. Really? But she does think technology will liberate women to a degree. I want to re-read this book. It's a lot to take in the first time.
on September 19, 2016
My husband says, "Every man should put down his gun and read this."
on February 8, 2017
Blending Philosophy, literature, and her own brand of Feminism, this edition, the better of the two translations of "The Second Sex" is a well written, and insightful look into the condition of Women, the Second Sex.

Though it was in a difficult read at times, it was still a well written book.
on April 25, 2014
this book was mary dalys first book and it offers great reasons and discussions for how the church enforces patriarchal rule. make sure to read this book before her second book beyond god the father as her opinions and views change drastically from ths book to the next
on October 31, 2016
Very interesting book - but I bought this for my philosophy class and needed a specific version and the correct ISBN number... The e-book has a different ISBN (even though the digital version is an option when you search by the correct ISBN) so that is something to note if you are buying this for a class.
on December 22, 2016
This will be a long and arduous read, but I have learned a great deal from the very beginning. One of the best purchases I have made ever. It should have been required reading in my collegiate experience.
on April 16, 2016
There is nothing valuable I can say about this book that hasn't already been said, but, having read part of the older translation and this, I'd highly recommend reading this. The translation is far better and all of Beauvoir's splendid philosophical writing is kept intact.
on May 19, 2015
It's nice to have a full translation of this classic, and this edition is a beautifully designed object. The translation is complete, but does not always capture the most straightforward English idiom. Unfortunately​ it is difficult to tell whether this is a conscious choice on the part of the translators trying to capture the awkwardness with which de Beauvoir must have struggled to make 1950s language bend to the needs of decidedly 21st century ideas. Having grown up with a much more sophisticated translated voice for her ideas, I often crave for a translation that is more lyrical, more theoretically nuanced by sixty years of intervening feminist thinking or writing.