Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Secret Garden [Illustrated]
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on April 16, 2010
I read this a couple times when I was a young teenager and now I just read it again 10 years later. It is still one of my favorite books. I love the theme that children need activities and hobbies and exercise to stay healthy, physically and mentally. I wish I had my own secret garden inside a stone wall :)
I think this is a wonderful book for any young child to read. The characters are good and the story is so beautiful.
11 comment| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
For those of you who haven't read this, you should.

It's the story of Mary Lennox, who grew up in India, extremely spoiled by the servants, whose only job was to keep her quiet and out of the way of her parents. After her parents die she's sent to live with her uncle in England, a crotchety old man mourning the loss of his wife, who also wants nothing to do with her. Lonely, spoiled Mary explores the manor and the garden, finding all sorts of hidden secrets as well as her own happiness.

A must-read for children and adults. It's the kind of story that just makes you feel warm and comfortable inside.
22 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2008
I just received this glorious book. I have many renditions of the Secret Garden. This luxuriously, lovely book is filled with superb illustration that really captures the mood and era of the story, which is the early 1900's. There are so MANY illustrations, Inga Moore has created a painting for nearly every page! A really lovely addition to a collection or to share with your children. If you enjoy the artwork in this book, buy "The Wind in the Willows" also illustrated by Inga Moore .Simply wonderful!
In case you are unfamiliar with the story, it is the tale of a peevish, spoiled and sullen orphan girl, MARY LENOX, who comes to live in the home of her mysterious and emotionally distant uncle. She meets her sickly cousin, Colin, a young boy, hidden away from the world and convinced he is dying. Hidden behind a huge stone wall is a Secret Garden which is discovered by the girl,Mary; a garden as neglected and in need of care as these two children. As they bring the garden back to life, they bring themselves back to life as well, discovering joy and friendship in an enchanting and wonderful way. It really is a classic.
22 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2000
Ages 9 and up the cover informs which at age 50 allows me in on one of the most beautiful reading experiences of a lifetime. It is romantic in the best sense of the word: one thinks of Blake's "to see a world in a grain of sand," or in this case in a secret garden. For this is a romance of two odd, solitary children who fall in love--not with each other--but with the world. To grow from isolation to friendship, from solitude to joy, from loathing of self to delight in nature, the themes are standard but deeply felt and movingly evoked in simple but lovely prose. The world is beautiful, once wrote Thomas Merton, to remind us we were originally meant for paradise. The Secret Garden is another such reminder. "I'm going to live forever and ever and ever," Colin famously exults and in this great book for children and adults he does and he does and he does.
on March 26, 2014
Although The Secret Garden is supposed to be a children's novel, in my opinion it's beneficial for any age. It left me speechless because it contains so much wisdom that was laid out in plain English, more than a century ago. No wonder it took a while before this Frances Hodgson Burnett's (last?) novel became widely popular and praised the way it more than deserves. One of the few books I can read again and again!
on November 1, 2003
The Secret Garden - my mum gave me this book when I was about eight and in the front it says: "for Kate, who will stay up reading until the wee hours of the morning." and it is true. I've read this book many times since then and I discover something new each time.
The characters are wonderful, especially Mary, Colin, Ben Weatherstaff and the "Yorkshire angel" Dickon. The changes that happen to both Mary and Colin throughout the book are a delight to observe.
I feel protected and happy once I've finished this book, things turn out happily, for the best and the image I have in my head of the Secret Garden surpasses anything I have ever seen in real life - and that is fine, for this is literature.
Read it.
on May 2, 2008
I am an urban, public school teacher with a fifth grade reading group. The girls, as well as the boys, found this book to be spellbinding. I had students trying to smuggle copies of the book out of the room at the end of our period - just so they could read the next few chapters!!!
on November 2, 2013
ABRIDGED!!!! The title of this book on Amazon is "The Secret Garden (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)." I did not notice until I received the book and was shocked at how thin it was that I saw that it said on the cover "Adapted for young reader" and then looked on Amazon and saw that in the faded print, *after* the title, it says "abridged."
Why anyone would abridge a classic is beyond me. It's not like the abridgers took the story and made it into a picture book for three year olds. They just abridged the text.
This will be going back. I am very disappointed.
on February 15, 2010
I hadn't read The Secret Garden since I was a kid. I'm so glad I found it on Kindle and read it again as an adult! What a wonderful story! And as a free Kindle book, it's hard to pass up!

I gave it 4/5 stars only because the formatting didn't quite come out perfect (a few squares with question marks in it appeared). Still, it's easy to read despite the few errors.
on September 13, 2010
This is a gorgeous copy of The Secret Garden, and the price is incredible. I bought a copy for my daughter, her best friend, my niece. Then I bought a copy to donate to my daughter's school library. And the ladies in the school office all wanted copies for their grandchildren, so I ordered copies for them as well.

The illustrations are beautiful - like something out of a fairy tale, nice size book, paper is high-quality, heavier weight. Complete, unabridged text. You can't go wrong with this book. It makes a lovely gift.