Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 5, 2017
I read this as the leader for a group of Middle/High School students who wanted to read classics during the spring/summer. I enjoyed the strong female characters and the entire story. We were able to have a great discussion about comparing lifestyles and classes. This was a fun read and I was glad this was on our classics list.
on December 9, 2017
Of course it's perfectly wonderful, everyone knows that! I just didn't learn it for myself until I was nearly 40. My own loss. It's easy to see why this is one of those books people read over and over. Such a sweet story. Good book to be enjoyed at any age.
on November 3, 2013
My son loves this book. I change all references to dying to say leaving or left as my son is only 3 and I worry it might be scary for him to think of a girls parents dying. Other than that I am able to read it mostly as it is and he loves the idea of a garden that is a secret and of the kids getting happy and healthy. He asks for it a lot and also seems to enjoy the artwork. I like that it is a story I already like and that I don't mind reading over and over.
on October 15, 2015
I've always loved this story. I've read it before when I was younger and I saw a movie based on the book. This story of a lonely, spoiled boy who believes he is unwell is really heart wrenching until he meets someone who literally changes his whole life as he is introduced to a wonderful world full of beauty and wonder and adventure. Reading this book again was a delight. I recommend it to readers young and young at heart.
on July 9, 2015
Even though the story is an older one, the story keeps the reader moving forward without the need for excessive violence, gratuitous action, and modern day cutting edge technologies. You can't help but cheer for the plucky female character as she acclimates to a new culture and a new life where she isn't the center of attention. The character's sense of entitlement comes crumbling down as she finds ways to explore her new surroundings and learn from the people around her. By the time the story is finished, the reader is left with a sense of hope and closure that leaves a bit of warmth in one's heart.
on May 8, 2015
My Aunt Mary gave me this book when I was seven years old and I enjoyed it immensely. It's beautifully written. Now that I am a mother of three children, it is still my favorite book. I have read it aloud to my children and read it privately on my Kindle. Its a calming, entertaining book that makes me want to go plant flowers and run out of doors with my kids. It's truly a classic and a treasure.
on November 15, 2016
I love this book! Unfortunately, this is the abridged version. It does say so in the description, so I can't fault the seller, but I didn't even bother reading this version as I enjoy the full one. The abridged version would be good for early readers though.
on September 26, 2014
The cover of this book is absolutely stunning and is also the main reason why I purchased it. I love Rifle Paper Co. and everything Anna Bond designs. The story was actually really great, and I enjoyed reading it (as a 26 year-old female). I'm definitely looking forward to passing this book down to (hopefully) future daughters to enjoy.

The only reason why it's not 5 stars is because there were two pages where the ink roller got messed up and smeared the ink across the page to where the text was illegible. I requested a replacement, which Amazon promptly ordered, and it seems to not have any issues like that (I haven't checked page by page yet). I order all 4 books in this design series and 2 out of 4 of them had this issue. It seems that whoever was in charge of the actual inside quality check did a poor job. Some of the page numbers in a couple of the other books are almost being cut off the edge of the page (poor placement).

Other than that, the stories are classic and the outside covers are stunning. I definitely don't mind sitting these books on my shelf.
on October 14, 2016
I'm reviewing it as a children's book. For myself, it was a pleasant read, but by no means five stars. I read it only because I recently saw a reference to it as a famous children's book, and somehow I'd never even heard of it.
on October 1, 2017
The story was so emotional, that I spoke to all my friends about it. The beginning was sad, but as you read on, you find yourself smiling and rooting for young Master Colins.
I would recommend this book to everyone.