Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 101-110 of 2,870 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,415 reviews
on February 6, 2014
I really enjoyed Morton's other books. But this one just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

I've started it 3 times....I'm determined to finish it. But the Dorothy character is just not very interesting - and quite unlikeable, as well. The Laurel character was much more intriguing...I found myself disappointed when the focus was not on her. It's almost as if the writing improves when describing any scene with Laurel in it, and the writing is repetitive, dull and self-absorbed (like the character herself) when it involves Dorothy.

Sorry, just can't recommend this one.

Oh, and the twist? It's so easy to see it coming, it might as well be a freight train.
on May 4, 2017
Then END is so dramatic....I had to read it again, because I was not sure....
GOOD, GOOD BOOK!!!
on December 16, 2016
Interesting story line, but I found the writing to be overblown. I didn't care for the author's style, and thought that a more streamlined approach would have been an improvement.
on November 9, 2012
Kate Morton always tells a well-written, interesting story, weaving the past with the present. But, in The Secret Keeper it took an incredibly long time for the reader to become fully engaged. In fact, I had to read more than half of the book before the novel became so engrossing that I could not put it down. It was obviously well-researched, but at times, the story was difficult to return to because it went into excruciating detail for far too long. The failure to edit, stunted the character development and interfered with the reader's intimate connection with the story and the characters. The ending, however, was brilliant.

I am a fan of Kate Morton. She is one of my favorite authors and never ceases to amaze me with the intricate tales that she creates and shares. I will read anything that she writes. For a real treat, pick up a copy of Forgotten Garden.
on November 2, 2012
I was so impressed with this book. Being a HUGE fan of her earlier works, I thought nothing could top them, but she has managed to do it again. As soon as I finished it I put my copy in overnight mail to my mother so she could read it too, and then we can talk about it. My mother lived through World War II (in the US) so I know she'll appreciate the historic parts even more than I did. I told her to keep notes -- at 92 she sometimes forgets minor characters. But, once again, a brilliant ending, caught me completely off guard, even though I'd been watching diligently. As soon as my mother has finished the book, I'll ask her to send it back to me so I can read it again. So happy for the way the plot resolved. So intriguing. I wish I could sit down and just talk to the author -- what an amazing brain she has. Now I have to wait for her next book!
on July 7, 2014
By the middle of the book I began enjoying reading it. I think the story could have been told by the daughter without the added story of the children's lives that had nothing to do with the story really. I would have only given it 2 stars had the story not improved and gotten my attention 3/4 way through. In the end, I liked the story but it took me way too long to finish it due to the children's unnecessary story that made the story go back and forth too much unnecessarily.
on April 23, 2017
Another great Kate Morton novel. Must read.
on November 25, 2012
I previously read the Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton and enjoyed that book very much.

The Secret Keeper certainly lived up to my expectation of Kate Morton as a story teller based on the previous book, by her, which I had read.

The story begins in 1961 when young Laurel witnesses and incredible action caused by her mother. The shocking event stays with Laurel through her life. Fast forward to 2011 when Laurel's mother is dying. Laurel wants to get to the truth of the event. In order to tell how the 1961 event came to occur requires going back in time to the early 1940's and the Blitz which occurred over London.

The book, is one, which is difficult to put down. The story keeps driving forward with unexpected twists and turns, until the incredible conclusion.

This is one story worth reading.
on June 30, 2013
This is the first Kate Morton novel I've read and it won't be my last. Her writing style immediately pulls you into the story, easily imagining the surroundings and feeling the emotions of the characters. Dolly is dying and her children want to know more about her past,her secrets. Laurel was a little girl, hiding in a treehouse, when she witnesses her mother stab and kill a stranger that had walked on to their property. The book goes back and forth from the present to Dolly's life in London during the war. Romance,revenge,mystery. Just when you think Laurel has finished her search and has uncovered her mother's past she sees a picture that changes everything. Enough said. I will be recommending this book to friends and members of my book club.
on October 13, 2013
Belonging to a class of moral decisions this was our first book and I joined the night before with no book BUT Amazon Kindle had it and within few minutes I had it. Then the fun began - thought it was a woman's book but it isn't what you think and THINK you had to do with her twisting and turning plot she ensnares you into her world and leaves your fingers numb from reading so fast that you must go back and gather all the clues you left behind. Beautifully written, well developed characters and so many unexpected twists and turns that on the last page you turn the book to page one and start again. Is 5 stars justifiable NO 10 would be better. One of the best books I read in 10 years. Thank you Kate.