Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on October 6, 2010
If you are a lesbian literature snob, I think you will love Francine Saint Marie.

I'm not a literature snob. As a matter of fact I frequently lower my standards just to be able to spend time with my kindle and two girls kissing on electronic paper but that does not mean I don't recognize great writing when I download it.

The Secret Keeping (I think it's a dumb title but it makes sense once you get into the story) is just wonderful. The story starts in a very clever way. There is some sort of author to reader long drawn out foreplay thing going on there for the longest time but of course it is rewarding in the end.

The characters are not like anyone I would ever rub elbows with in real life but I really enjoyed spending time with them. The story is interesting and sexy. However, I think it is the style of the writing that is what i am enjoying the most. I'm not going to pretend to know enough about writing styles to expand on this but if you are a picky reader I do not think this book will disappoint you.

I've started the second book and can't wait to get home from work today to get back to my reading.

Thank you Ms Marie, and thank you Amazon. Please can I have some more?
on March 10, 2009
I've just finished reading this trilogy for the second time and I reccomend it to anyone who wants to read a love story. This story has grace, charm and enough sizzle for anyone. It is a story of finding and loosing and finding again the love of a lifetime. My only reccomendation is to buy "The Secret Trilogy " because I can't fathom that anyone reading book one wouldn't want to know what happens to Lydia, Helaine and all their friends and enemies.
on March 27, 2010
I absolutely loved The Secret Keeping, and subsequently the other two books in the trilogy.
The story and writing style is unique and refreshing. I was enthralled and enraptured by the mesmerising, intelligent, captivating, sensual and very witty prose from the first page. What a joyful roller coaster romp of a story and a delightful mind challenge. Beautifully written.
on May 16, 2008
Like many of the reviewers listed above, I found Francine Saint Marie's novel to be quite unique. I had no trouble getting into the almost stream-of-consciousness flow of the dialogue and I very much enjoyed the electric pace of the book. Writing from the inner perspective of the characters was entertaining and employed a clever technique in storytelling.
on August 31, 2011
Spoiler Alert
The language by use of double meanings is very intelligent and playful. The story started slow, in chapter 1, it is just focused on Lydia with a dissatisfied life albeit mundane which is probably the point of the writer that's why the chapter is slowly-paced. Then the plot picked up in Chapter 2 and there were more interactions. The story is satisfying at this point. The start of Chapter 3 is also exciting, by now the characters are part of the reader's psyche. Towards the end, the author seemed to lose Sharon Chambers. There was no supposedly obligatory scene or resolution between Helaine and Sharon. It would have been colorful. Then the final escape or freedom is quite disappointing because Lydia being a finance wiz could have thought of a better escape than resorting to a pay-out. The couple actually lost to the "shark" when the lawyers kept saying Sharon has no case. Then the relationship of Helaine and Lydia, at the end is quite off when Helaine wouldn't talk about the tape saying, "Let's not discuss this, i don't talk about this" however, she's a sex therapist so why wouldn't she talk about their problem? Aside from the quite unresolved ending, the novel is worth reading. Forgive me if I write this as a stand alone novel, and not relating it to the trilogy. I read this as a stand alone novel and if I liked it so much, I can buy the other two. But I don't feel inclined to continue unless I'm kind of assured that there will be more resolution to the situations of the characters whether negative or positive with a more solid plot structure.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2007
This novel is everything the other reviewers have said it is - and it does not disappoint.

The writing style emulates that of the French Realists - and again, in this, it does not disappoint.

The key to enjoying this kind of work, as the other reviewers have mentioned, is patience. Seat yourself in the Frank's Place, and let the story unfold around you. If you try to rush the story along, you will no doubt have trouble seeing past the darkness. Let yourself be the voyeur and you will be ever so inspired by the strength of two women in love.
on October 30, 2010
Great book, very unique and different from other novels. Ver well written. Keeps you engaged and you can't stop reading
on April 20, 2007
I had a bit of a hard time with the first part of the book, but I had a good feeling about it and forced myself not to give up on it... was I ever right. From part 2 onwards this is as different a story as one would hope to find. I don't mean different in terms of the "romance", but more like the style, the smarts, and the laugh out loud scenes that are wittily different.
on May 7, 2010
I am an avid reader of every genre there is, and this one was a bomb in my opinion. I couldn't even force myself to finish the book. To much banter back and forth in the mind of the main character, I got lost in her un-interesting thoughts. Where was the plot? There were no characters introduced that had any depth or liking whatsoever. Nothing reached out and grabbed me to keep me holding on, nothing interesting, nothing original. I fell. How many times did we have to read about a blonde woman alone in a restaurant reading a book? Dull, dull, and more dull. I bought this because of all the good reviews. This was a huge mistake and waste of money.
on July 26, 2011
This is one of the most boring books I have ever read. I kept waiting for something exciting to happen and it never did! What was the big "secret"...they were lesbians? So what! If you ever have trouble sleeping, pick this one up and you'll be out in minutes.