Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 189 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 251 reviews
on January 22, 2016
We loved this movie! My friend's daughter is 11 and into fantasy and magic (Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and others) as are we 2 adults. We all really enjoyed this movie. I have no idea if this was ever in the movie theaters or was a straight to DVD flick but it was as good as many of the other movies in this genre lately and certainly better then some, especially considering budget limitations compared to big budget production movies. Excellent, classic story, very tasteful, detailed, and well done effects, with a solid cast as well. Interior design and sets were very good. All in all a very well done, enjoyably movie.
on November 18, 2012
The cast of Moonacre does a beautiful job of setting the pace of the plot so one stays glued to center stage. The clothing and props are simply to die for with frocks and locks of pure magic. The movie reminds me of "The Golden Compass." Bandits find out the little orphan is Maria Merryweather and of the De Noirs family and immediately start plotting for money. This fantasy story surrounds the legend of the moon pearls that belongs to her mother. It is worth the buy of this great film to see what the moon pearls play in the life of everyone and their outcome in this stylish and well directed show.
on June 21, 2011
Well, this was definitely a family friendly film. It starts with a marriage in an idyllic setting gone wrong. Flash forward....to a tween girl's father dying. She and her nanny are invited out to their family home in the country, called "Moonacre" to stay with her uncle, now her ward.
When they get there, they find her uncle is completely unfriendly and seemingly disinterested, simply sheltering her because it is his family duty. Most of the estate is closed off to her, but in her explorations, she meets a few funny characters, most notably the chef, who looks somewhat like a human sized garden gnome, and a "devil dog". She is told not to wander into the woods surrounding the estate, as her uncle "Cant protect her there".
What follows is a young girls adventure, both on the estate and the woods, as she solves the mystery surrounding the area she is in before the valley that the estate and woods are in, is destroyed.
The movie is actually very predictable, but still a decent story, and like i said before, great for the kids, who will undoubtedly love it as much as ours did.
on May 10, 2017
Fun movie, hate that I have to write 18 words. Isn't it enough to say I like it? I'm not a movie critic after all!
on May 3, 2015
I have always enjoyed fantasies & faerie tales. But this one, I have to say, was not up to my usual standards.
I have seen better, believe me...some parts were ok, others were a bit trite, overdone. I will most likely not be watching it again...
on January 23, 2017
enjoyed
on August 2, 2014
It's a very pretty movie. I like that there isn't a ton of war that takes up a lot of time. I like the story. The moon girl is a symbol of Christ, which is very interesting. I really like the story.
on June 9, 2016
good movie
on January 11, 2011
My family (kids 15, 13 and 9) really enjoyed this movie! It is the story of orphan Maria Merryweather, who must go to live with her mysterious uncle in an isolated manor house after the death of her father. She discovers that she is the last of the "moon princesses" who can save the surrounding valley from destruction -- but only if she meets certain challenges and tests of her character. The look of the production design is very appealing and interesting -- my 15 year-old called it "steampunk", sort of Victorian/dystopian. Dakota Blue Richards does a good job as Maria Merryweather and Juliet Stevenson is priceless as the governess Miss Heliotrope. Tim Curry is suitably creepy as the leader of the de Noir clan.
The movie changes quite a bit from the original book, The Little White Horse, by Elizabeth Goudge, The Little White Horse (which was published in 1946, four years before C.S. Lewis' first Narnia book The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) but I still enjoyed it a lot and the plot probably needed a little updating to appeal to today's audiences. Children who like the Chronicles of Narnia will probably enjoy The Little White Horse, especially girl readers. It was my favorite book as a child and although this movie is not, in my opinion, as good as the book (when is a movie ever as good as the book?), it was fun and suspenseful.
on February 13, 2016
Okay, it is a weird story, and a strangely surreal setting, but the exaggerated characters are fun and I think youngsters will enjoy it. If younare a Tim Curry fan it is an absolute must - especially for the extra features that come with the movie!