Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 231-240 of 2,847 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,099 reviews
on August 14, 2015
I love dystopian books, because I think usually they make you think- about the world as we know it, the things we take for granted, important characteristics for a person to have, etc. But this book was not one of those books. It was kind of like a weak imitation of a dystopian novel.

It was difficult to love the characters... Main character didn't have much, if any, development. She sounded like a little spoiled kid, self-centered and shallow. The language and flow of the story was such that I think maybe pre-teens might find this book entertaining, but not anyone who really enjoys good books.Also, there was not much of a story to speak of. The entire book was a long beginning to a story, but it never reached the story. And there's no way I'm reading the next book to find out, because this one was so disappointing! :(
on August 23, 2015
Yes, this isn't a deeply philosophical book. That's not why I rated it 5 stars. It's a wonderful book! It's easy to read, and it really pulls you into another world. That's what I look for as a college student. I already work so hard in class I want to read a leisure book that isn't hard to read or feels like extra work. I was really annoyed that the books are broken up they way they are. It's just a way for the author to make more money which really irked me, but button line. It's a good book, it wasn't a waste of time, like most books are these days.
on June 8, 2016
The Selection was an easy read that was very predictable but enticing. Kiera Cass creates this future world with characters that find themselves in a situation that love would not typically be of much importance. America is not your typical candidate and it is fun to follow her journey through the selection.
on June 27, 2012
I could tell even from the sample I was going to have issues with the writing style and quality. Still, I kept thinking about the story and bought it.

I think the idea itself is an interesting concept. But I think between the writing style, the lack of details, and the strange unexplainable behavior of some of the characters, the book is more what you would expect of good fanfiction rather than a polishes novel.

The worst and weirdest thing is the thinly veiled political commentary. And patriotism. Now I am not against either of those things but to sprinkle those two things right in the middle of an incredibly fluffy romance about teens just came across unsettling. Like mustard on a cake. Worse yet the political parts of the book are particularly unpolished. I truly would have preferred it if it would have stuck to the fluff.

In spite of all my complaints, I did enjoy the book. Even while crining I found a guitly pleasure in all the fluff. It is kind of cinderella meets hunger games meets the bachelor dumbed down a bit but not without charm. On the kindle this was ten bucks and I think it was worth that.
on April 10, 2014
I should make it a rule to NEVER start a series when all the books are not currently available. Now I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the 3rd book to come out and I can't stand it!! So that probably tells you how much I enjoyed this book, and the 2nd book "the elite", and am anxiously anticipating the 3rd book "the one". This was a great story, the main character, America, is very likeable and you really feel for her dilemma and the unexpected choice she faces when she realizes that she had the wrong impression of the prince, and he's not such a bad guy. You should definitely read this book, but you may want to wait until the third book comes out in May so that you will not have to go through the agony of waiting!!
on October 28, 2016
So glad I found this book series! So addictive. Sleepless nights until I finished all 3 books. Couldn't put any of the down.
on December 30, 2013
I bought the sample of the book to see if I would like it enough, and I can proudly say I did! I bought it at 10PM and read it until 2AM. I fell asleep then woke up at 11 AM and finished at 2 PM I couldn't put it down. I'm a sixteen year old girl and I loved this book. it has amazing romance that will make your heart melt, heartbreak that will make your eyes water, and humor that will make you laugh. I can say I've never read a book that made me laugh out loud and I really enjoyed this book. I highly recommend it. the ending is a cliff hanger so I'm going to buy the second book right away. don't pass this book up. it's AMAZING.
on June 26, 2016
I have been looking at reading these books for awhile a little hesitant because they were YA. In my mind thinking this would be a typical teenage romance. I was wrong! I enjoyed this book very much and it's not just your typical romance. It's bachelorette meets hunger games. Romance, adventure, I'm loving it. I have downloaded book 2 and have already finished it in a day 1/2. Light enjoyable read for the summer. Get it sit read and enjoy!
on June 18, 2014
I read the trilogy in 3 days because of how intriguing it was and now I am sad I am finished. I am currently in nursing school and to be able to read for fun this summer has been AMAZING!! I am glad I stumbled upon this series because it was a great breath of fresh air. I would definitely suggest this to a friend (already have actually) for a fun read. I read a LOT and sometimes it is so hard to chose what to read because there is so much out there but I have to say I am truly glad I found these books. I felt emotion with this book that I missed feeling when I read. Now it's off to find another adventure while I have free time :) but I have to say I would read this series again and much more slowly next time.
on January 28, 2014
There has been a lot of criticism regarding this book on geek reading websites for some reason (of which, I am shamelessly a proud member). People seem to love bashing this book relentlessly for its writing and characters, etc, but I really enjoyed this book. Read the blurb about it. Does it sound like a moving, heartfelt, deeply crushing literary classic? Heck, no. It sounds like a youthful, energetic, fast paced read with fun characters, an improbable yet intriguing plot, and with pained and sometimes forced romance; and, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually thought it was a well-written YA novel. The pacing is great. The characters are fun. It's light. It's easy. If the book jacket interests you, and you're looking for a beach book type read, go for it. Enough said.