Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on February 28, 2015
I didn't expect so much from this book as I was afraid that the polarization that this issue causes would render the arguments exaggerated.
I was then surprised to find by book's end that I could agree with Carr's thesis. This is because he presents some decent (if now a bit dated) neurological evidence and does confront full on the past claims of anti-technologists. He even deals with the effects of reading (the original reading) on our psyches.
The mistake he makes is when he talks about the effects of scripts on the brain. Here he is out of his depth. For example, he says that when punctuation was introduced our mental abilities changed. Well, he's off when he cites the time of that change, and anyway it seems ridiculously speculative.
I went ahead and bought his latest book, The Glass Cage, because I think this guy has a head on his shoulders and because he writes clearly.
on October 13, 2014
The digital era has brought extraordinary boons, like rapid research, a voice for the oppressed - and the instant access to books of the likes of Kindle. But there is serious concern that endless surfing leads to a new sort of mentality that is strong on novelty and low on deep thought. Nicholas Carr is a very good writer, and he admits that even his ability to read and write books has been impaired by the endless distractions of the web. This is not a diatribe, it is a carefully reasoned book full of scientific research. And the big question he asks is: are we dumbing ourselves down?
on January 13, 2018
A timely and pertinent discussion of the wired world we inhabit, of what we have gained in efficiency and convenience, at the rarely considered cost to our memories, our cognition, culture, and humanity.
on September 28, 2013
A fascinating look at not just how technology impacts on us today but how small things change life as we know it.
Bit deep in places but well worth hanging in there. I do not whole hearted agree with the thoughts presented but believe the role technology is playing in changing our lives is significant. After all is it not technology that sees me writing this book report without a grade from a teacher. Would never do this otherwise.
on December 16, 2017
Enlightening! I am able to understand how some people are the way they are.
on February 11, 2013
Awesome book if you want to read about how you need to step outside of your "normal" perspective. Really good. Maybe a little over the average persons head if you want something for a relaxing weekend read maybe try something a little less heavy but I personal liked it. It was recommended to me by a friend who was reading it for coursework at a local college.
on May 8, 2013
Should be read by every grandparent, parent, and all high school and college students. We need to understand the impact of the digital life which is shaping all our worlds!

I have sent this book to my children who are all parents and to several friends.

John Sarbacker
on March 14, 2016
very interesting
on April 8, 2015
Clear, well written, very interesting but disturbing.
on April 13, 2013
I have started reading this book after one of our lectures suggested that , it gave me better insight of how our brain works .