Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change

Showing 1-10 of 532 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 690 reviews
on April 1, 2015
This is three books in one: the first books written about Shannara, who is a person from the past not a country. When I originally read the second book, "The Elfstones of Shannara" I was disappointed, now I can't figure out why. The stories are good with some unexpected twists and I quite enjoyed the book. I believe these were the first novels Terry Brooks wrote, and he himself says in the introductions that he was still learning his craft when he wrote them; he learned very well. If you like Terry Brooks, or the history of Shannara, or even just enjoy fantasy, get this book.
on May 6, 2017
I read this series as a kid and reread it as an adult. Terry Brooks is very descriptive and the characters have good depth. There is always a lot going on with good twists and surprises to keep you turning pages. The multiple plotlines get a satisfying wrap up at the end, but there journey leaves you wanting more. Luckily there are lots more stores set in this world.
on May 25, 2017
I came to fantasy reading a few years ago and have been devouring the genre ever since. I am now going back to the classics to see what I missed out on 20 years ago. This is a great trilogy! Classic coming of age and epic hero plot with all the usual cast of characters; gnomes, elves, dwarfs, men, strange creepy creatures and much more. People fall into rivers, smite fearsome opponents and everything is great fun. Wish I had found this decades ago, but never to late for a good read!
on January 15, 2016
the books them selves are great (5 stars), the audio book version however is missing most of the actual story. I normally buy a copy for my kindle and the audio version so i can listen in my car ans switch back and forth. for some reason when they narrated the book they decided to not actually read the book but just basically cover the dialog in the books and a very short description of what was happening. to explain further for example at the beginning of the first book the brothers are being hunted by the skull barer and decide to flee the inn and travel to one of their friends pretty far away, the book spends almost an entire chapter describing this journey and the audio-book basically says, they left the vale and arrived at their friends house the next day... stories are all the about the details, with out them you cant immerse yourself in the world of the book
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 7, 2017
this is an excellent story and work of fantasy by a very proficient author for this genre well worth the price the detailed picture created by the author is very well done as the story unfolds
on April 27, 2017
i have read this series many years ago, and yes, its well worth it to re-read again. If you like sword and sorcery epics, this is one of the best.
highly recommend all books by this author.
on May 16, 2017
The Sword of Shannara containing three book after the first king of Shannara by it self. This book contains sword of Shannara, elffstone of Shannara and wishsong of Shannara all these books are the first books of Shannara series and are beautifully written and continue family legacy of the Shannara king.
on November 4, 2012
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy, in a short review, is a great set of fantasy novels that you wont regret reading, and they may change your life even if just a little bit.
It is difficult to review any book without giving away the story, but I will do my best. This is not the first time I have read this series, in fact, this is the 5th time.
About every seven years I find myself wanting to relive my first read of the Shannara series that started it all.
This time it started with the prequel, "Paladins of Shannara", a new add-on short story put out there to lure you back in, setting the stage for you to become Shea Ohmsford or at least a close friend all over again.
Each book of this series is easily read in and of itself and each a great fantasy novel, filled with danger and mystery. A fight not only of good and evil but a between the whole truth and just enough of the truth to save the world.
My favorite book of all time is the 2nd book, "The Elfstones of Shannara", it is a rollercoaster ride, one of those books you just can't put down, every paragraph bringing you closer to that complete escape from reality. The Elfstones of Shannara is the book for me that started a lifetime of reading. I was bored one day and my wife, a huge reader, suggested The Elfstones of Shannara, she said "it was as good as or better than The Hobbit". Thank god "The Hobbit" was made into a cartoon movie or I wouldn't have any point of reverence at the time.
The 1st book, The Sword of Shannara is a great fantasy novel that you will love, The 3rd book, Wishsong of Shannara is somewhat eloquent and almost feminine in the style, which made it difficult to connect to the characters and yet I still enjoyed very much, but in my opinion The Elfstones of Shannara is what makes this trilogy epic.
Before Elfstones I couldn't stand reading and found it a task labored and boring.
But I guess there is a warning here for all, the Shannara saga is a fantasy world of escape that can hold your attention for your entire life.

In closing I have to say thank you Terry Brooks for taking away some of life troubles, and making the tough times we all face a little more bearable.

Robin
on April 29, 2015
See full review @ The Indigo Quill . blogspot . com

The Sword of Shanara trilogy written by Terry Brooks is about a mythical world rooted in the tension between old-world-magic and, what could be seen, as rational thought. We are taken on an expansive trip through the three separate generations of the Ohmsford family. This is a family of elven children who are actually teenagers, who unknowingly possess magical skills that can unlock some of the great events threatening the world they hold dear. The adventures in this quasi-medieval world involve the conflation of the races of men, elves, dwarves and, yes even trolls and gnomes. All of the inhabitants of this world are pawns in a struggle between the forces of magic and the books present, which smacks of an emerging modernity. Forged from an intricate history involving ancient wars and what we could see as geo-political conflicts, there emerges a sprawling epic not too different from what we experience in our own world. The author uses the character of Allanon, a man symbolizing a race of men called the druids, to parcel out historical lessons to these protagonist young people as he leads them through dangerous adventures. At one time the druids mastered the mysteries of using magic to try and better the human condition, but the intertwining epics of three generations makes the reader understand that the wielding of magic and power can have devastating effects. Absolute power tends to absolutely corrupt.

I found the work, although somewhat wordy, a wonderful read. Brooks’ power of description to the many environments, the descriptions of character emotions, and the varied monster and beast creatures, made this a treasure-trove of description. Although the two maps provided general locations to the many rivers, mountains, cities and castles, I did wish, however, that the map could provide more detail to the narrative. I believe the work was worthy of some illustrations and relief maps. I wanted to follow the treks, particularly of Jair Ohmsford’s party and his sister Brin Ohmsford and her party.

The power of the work was manifest in how the protagonist’s inner-monologue worked while confronted with flagrant evil. The young adults were driven by restraint and circumspection about what they felt they needed to do to save their selves and their kind. Their self-doubt, introspective thoughts were refreshing in an age of computer games where kids feel that destructive force is always justified. Make no mistake violence forces are afoot, but so is the power of reason. I found the young protagonists were governed by a higher power mitigating against blind rage and thoughtless action. Our protagonists in all three epics do what we all should do, question ourselves, gather some facts and have the courage to carry out our mission. We all face forces that loom bigger than what we are capable of handling.

Of course, sometimes the nature of faith enters in as well. There are no theistic components here that I can see, but there doesn’t need to be. Faith in a common good, free will and understanding that there is good and there is evil pervades these stories. The characters learn to trust one another and value each other’s purpose. There is the threat of holocaust, destruction and chaos at every turn, but this world is also governed by the forces for good. The players have stakes, experience death, separation and suffering, but all for the welfare and preservation of family and tribe.

This is a must for your library. There is a powerful imagination residing in this work. I am entertained, but I am also edified by the lessons that are so abundant in this work.
on June 2, 2016
Rereading these books for the 3rd time. They never fail to have me enthralled in the story's. The 1st time I read these books I couldn't wait until the page turned. It's still true today. Looking forward to rereading the next 4 books