Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 22, 2016
In The Shepherd, Ethan Cross introduces us to Marcus Williams and Francis Ackerman Jr, thus setting the leading characters and premises for the Shepherd Thriller series. Both men have killed. While Marcus is filled with remorse for the death he caused, Francis takes pleasure from the serial killings. Both men wonder if there is redemption and question their destiny. They each see themselves as monsters. They both want to be loved.

This story is very well written. As Marcus' and Francis' characters are developed, we glimpse into their souls and see their torment. Are these characters all that much different or just two sides of one coin destined to play the game until one succumbs?

I had not anticipated the twist at the end. I hope you are as surprised as I.

I recommend this book for all who enjoy thrillers and conspiracies mixed in with philosophical questions of good vs. evil.
on May 11, 2013
Ethan Cross... This man is an artist. He has asculpted a masterpiece with this novel. It has everything one looks for in a book. It has action, suspense, mystery, a wee bit of romance, and it leads you to believe that the things in this novel aren't just fiction. Maybe, just maybe, someone like Ackerman is really out there. This story is written that well. It has a keen sense of reality, as well as an astounding portrayal of the hero many people can relate to.

Mr. Cross crafts a wonderfully woven tapestry of complex characters, genuine human emotion and philosophical musings and the ultimate existential crisis that the majority of people struggle with...albeit extreme in Marcus and Ackerman's cases. Cross doesn't pull any punches, and I applaud him for creating a..."villian" that could look Lecter in the face and not be the one to blink first.

The Shepherd is an amazing work of fiction that pulls you in, burrows it's way into your body and embeds itself in your mind. It resonates with you long after you've read the last word on the last page.
on June 25, 2017
Every page was a must keep reading as when I thought I knew what would come next a new version I hadn't thought of changed my thinking! The characters are well developed and I was able to sympathize with each character and also understand why they were reacting how they were in true to their character form. I look forward to finishing the series and plan to burn thru all the books in this series just as Ackerman burned through the school and bar! I've found another author to follow and can't wait to continue reading!
on June 8, 2016
Not realizing the proper order, I read The Prophet long ago, so I enjoyed learning about the characters from the beginning. I'll continue in the proper order. The only problem I have is the trip from Texas to Colorado. Marcus had to drive at light speed to travel to Colorado from South Texas in the time period intimated in the story. Still, the novel is hard to put down!
2 people found this helpful
on September 29, 2016
This is my first book to read by this author & I really enjoyed this book! ! I'm definitely going to watch for all his books. It captured my attention & held on to it until the ending. I really didn't care for the ending, as the scenario isn't really believable; but since there will be sequels I understand it's purpose. Buy this book, if you like mysteries, action & adventure all rolled into one, you will definitely like this book!!
on May 19, 2013
I've never been a fan of mystery or thriller books, too much story and not enough action. However, this book is a breath of fresh air for horror/thriller fans. It's got a perfect balance of murder scenes and story. The story itself is nowhere near dry or dull either, you get to explore the serial killers psyche, feel what he's feeling, meanwhile hunting him down at the same time. Definitely recommend this book.

Grade: A-

Cons - The reader won't feel too much for the protagonist. You actually get more involved in the killer's life than the main character, which leaves him slightly tasteless.You do get to know him, but he doesn't have much emotional value.
on February 4, 2014
I love "god" games. That's when nothing is as it seems and everything is being orchestrated by the leader of the cast of characters as a test or a trial for the hero. This is a good one, and I didn't see it coming until the hero does. This book is as much fun to read as it is to get to the end. It is well written, and the characters are sympathetic. You are rooting for the hero and frustrated and indignant along with him. I will definitely read more books by this author. I highly recommend this tense thriller to fans of the genre, and maybe to some others.
on April 5, 2017
There were definitely plenty of twists and turns in this plot, which might have been nice had I been able to swallow the initial presumptions: a randomly killing serial killed connected spiritually to a former cop, a former FBI agent sheriff who recruits assistants by shocking them and forcing them to kill ... etc. Not for me
on August 22, 2017
If you like shows such as Criminal Minds, you will LOVE this series. I highly recommend it, even to those who don't consider themselves avid readers. It keeps you on your toes and you'll find yourself looking behind your shoulder as you rush through to find out what happens next, trying to decide whose side to take. One of the best books I've read in a very long time.
on July 20, 2013
When I read that this was a mix between The Bourne Identity and Criminal Minds, I knew I had to read this book. It lived up to the promise. There were strong undertones of right vs wrong, good vs evil, but nothing preachy. There are a few curse words, but really only a blessed few. The author demonstrated that a well-chosen vocabulary can make for a better story than one laced with epithets. The storyline developed naturally, without the strain some authors demonstrate. No melodramatic soul-searching by the characters. Just solid character development that seemed to flow effortlessly from the author's pen. I am looking forward to reading more!