BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on January 10, 2014
I read this book in one sitting which means I was gripped by the ideas and the ease of which they are presented. No doubt I will go back to this book often. Downloads very useful summaries. I loved the descriptors of the 5 forces shaping the future of the world of work and the 32 pieces of them to explore. The quilt metaphor used very well. The future stories about individuals in the year 2025 are brilliantly told. A central concept that we can craft our work future is very well contrasted with what the author calls our default future. I liked the use of the word capital in the sense of the three shifts. I expected more on how the industrial and technological revolutions have had a dehumanising affect however the book is full of great insights into humanness. This book is also full of many examples of the kind of work that will be highly valued in the future and is therefore a great resource for all ages.
on May 25, 2014
We are in the middle of a time of incredible change. It is hard to imagine what the world will be like in 20 years time. There seem so many threats and it is unclear what individuals can do to future proof themselves.
In this excellent book Lynda Gratton covers the major changes likely to impact on the world of work and then suggests the responses that are most likely to lead to a more fulfilling and meaningful life.
What is particularly good about this book is
- it takes a global rather than US centric view
- it draws on a very broad range of literature and examples
- it is written in a conversational style - like sitting down with your smartest, best read friend and talking about the future.
An interesting read. As with all books dealing with futurology, Gratton's predictions have to be taken with a grain of salt - but then again, she's the first one to advise that. All in all, the reading of this book has truly helped me have a clearer understanding of the forces that are shaping our future right now. A must for any professional.
on January 6, 2016
Overall I agree with the trend, forces and shift that the author projected for the future and already see many happening or begin to happen. Worth reading again in 5 and 10 years to witness the change in reality.
on March 15, 2016
Thoroughly researched and great insights consider I have read so many books in this genre and that I write them as well.
on June 12, 2014
And after reading this book you actually understand what is happening and are able to link the pieces together. Great for current professionals and parents alike to help them guide their offsprings into a bright future.
I bought this book and did not know what to expect from it, but for sure not an exact prediction. I found it tries to classify factors in some way that will help each of us to make a prediction. I liked the format and thought it was usefull.
on April 26, 2016
great
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2013
not at all a book that interests me....more of a requirement for a class and nothing more. I guess it is ok for what it is
on November 9, 2011
My experience tells me that is hard to figure out history in business. And here comes a work that vividly portrays future! I am amazed that there are organizations out there which forecast their businesses to 2050...let me get this right, we are still in 2011. Through her research and simple presentation, Lynda grabs the attention of audience (did I say audience instead of readers) in describing the details of how the future might be. Her points on serial mastery have struck a chord with my personal life preferences, and am already seeing a few around me who think they might go through some such thing. But our discussions have been really vague until we read this word, 'serial mastery'. I do not know if I am happy that there is a word to what we were discussing, or that it is actually what everyone seems to (might) prefer in the future.

There are two things this book did to me. First, it made me write a review and send it a journal for publication. Second, it changed the way I look at the businesses today. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in studying entrepreneurship, human resources management, general management, and all others who are just enthused to learn how it might be to time travel to see future sitting in present.