BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on May 20, 2012
As the years have passed onward for me I find myself filling my dripping horror platter from places such as older films, foreign, and independents much more than anything in the mainstream as of late. The Shrine is a rare and raw piece of celluloid that can be laid at the altar of good films at a time when most are thrown out back for the diseased dogs to eat. It's true there are some things in the movie worth correcting but as it was once said "no work of art is ever completed, only abandoned." To overly-critique this movie is to focus on all that we would like to have instead of all that is before us which is a movie worth watching and deserving of money that's becoming more difficult to earn these days.

The Shrine is set in a modern time yet pre-industrialized Eastern European town where food and supplies are produced, not bought. The xenophobic townspeople are more concerned with making do and being left alone than for the modern conveniences of the first-world mega-nations. This film is about what happens when overly curious, intrusive Americans march onward into this set aside village and the consequences for the modern not paying homage to the ancient traditions of others in this surreal, mysterious hamlet.

The main characters are not to be respected though you may find yourself feeling sympathy for them. They are arrogant, disrespectful, and rude. As their fate becomes known to you the vague thought of "you asked for it" begins to prevail and not with a sense of remorse. The director clearly has some political opinions yearning to be expressed but it's not revealing unless truly examined.

Eastern Europe with their olden, gothic histories is a birthing chamber for horror yet untapped by most American filmakers perhaps because most have such a limited understanding of how movies should be made; meaning for effect, not money. This director had a vision for this film's potential and that is not only clearly evident while watching, but appreciated.

While viewing this piece, try not to obsess with the trivial shortcomings that this film may express yet focus on what this movie is, a wonderful piece that deserves recognition and praise.
on April 25, 2017
This was actually better than I thought it would be. I am not going to spoil the plot, but has something of a twist to it.
on September 29, 2017
reallygood
on August 26, 2013
I'm not one to take the time to write a review about a movie, but this is one of the few that I MUST! I've slowly been getting into horror movies over the last year, and I came across this gem on Netflix. My in for the movie was actor Aaron Ashmore, from Smallville, who I really like, and decided to give it a shot!

I'm glad I did. The story starts out very simple, three Americans travel to a small farming village in Poland to investigate the disappearance of a guy who went missing, and over the years several others have as well. Also, the last thing I'll tell you about the plot is there is a mysterious fog in the woods that doesn't seem to go away, and seems to lead the group to that spot.

A forewarning, once the action and horror really begin, most of the actors speak in Polish, and they're aren't subtitles during these scenes. I really appreciated the movie makers doing this, because clearly the Polish characters know full well what's going on in the story; but for the audience, we are following the Americans who have no idea what they're saying. THAT ADDS TREMENDOUS SUSPENSE TO THE PLOT! Since we have no idea what's going on, and it really adds to the horror and terror of the story.

By the end, you'll mostly figure out what has happened, but I do recommend if you have any questions to check out the wiki page, it helped clear a few things up!

Also, I purchased the Blu Ray, and the picture quality is AMAZING. I recommend whichever version you can get, but extra kudos to the Blu Ray!

Kyle

P.S. - No idea if they'll ever make a prequel, but I would love to know how the fog ended up there in the first place. I bet the writers could make a really interesting story out of that one!
on January 14, 2017
Very good twisted plot. Love it! 5 stars
on November 6, 2016
The mask is pretty gruesome.
on July 7, 2016
Perfect condition. Happy with my purchase.
on August 16, 2013
this was hyped a bit,its ok enjoyable not what i expected witch for me is a good thing,pretty good horror ,reminds me of and older style of horror in good way,dvd played fine
on April 27, 2016
I really liked this. It was different -- and a little bit of a twist at the end. At first you may think it is your typical American that disappeared and was mysteriously murdered type of story -- but it isn't. Good watch.
on February 2, 2014
The first half of the movie was slow--and it's only 85 minutes. The second half was not scary. Poor acting. The residents of the Polish town were either dressed like Amish people or Druids. Special effects were poor. People talk about plot points and such, but there's nothing special here.