Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 29, 2014
If you like mysteries, this should be in your library!! Gripping and suspenseful! A must have!! Author has written three more.
on July 2, 2010
Derek Haas has brought us the literary work of the millenium with The Silver Bear. No personal library is complete until you own at least two copies of this masterpiece; one for reading - nay - devouring, the other for preserving, unblemished to show the world. In this work of art, Haas takes you on an electrifying journey through the mind of an assassin as he targets his next assignment. Columbus, as he is known, must fully accept his past before he can embrace, and control, his present. Dexter Morgan step aside, there's a new serial killer ruling literature! Add this gem to your collection before the Silver Bear himself finds you!
on January 27, 2009
This was a really fast moving, fun and exciting book. A very quick read full of unexpected twists. Not in a million years would I have guessed the outcome of this book. The main character, an assassin named Columbus, is a cool, calm, patient and calculating kind of guy who reminds me a lot of Jason Bourne. Great effort by Derek Haas in his first novel. The book ends leaving you frustrated, wanting to know more...perhaps Haas was leaving the door open for the possibility of a sequel. I hope so. I look forward to and will definitely read his next novel...hopefully a sequel to the Silver Bear.
on July 23, 2008
Haas is mostly known as a screenwriter, having co-written 3:10 to Yuma and Wanted. His novel, which charts the rise of an assassin, is stripped-down and lean. Chapters following his pursuit of one target alternate with earlier episodes: his first kill, his first love, his first betrayal. It's unapologetically genre fiction, romanticizing even as it attempts to deconstruct.

Considering they're both assassin origin stories, Wanted and The Silver Bear couldn't be more different. Where Wanted is all flourishes and suspension of disbelief, The Silver Bear is played straight. It reminded me most of Donald E. Westlake's The Ax, in that murder simply becomes a job function.

I know Derek, and since I'm signing my real name, it feels weird to give the book less than five stars. But I suspect verifiable praise carries more weight than anonymous gushing. It's a good, smart and quick read.
on February 16, 2010
Ok, I am a business owner, mom of two or three if you count my hubby and I am an avid reader. Twilight, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell - I have read them all. My husband read Silver Bear and said I would love it. It was pleasantly refreshing to read a book that is written by the "bad guy". You will fall in love with Columbus who makes his living as a professional assassin. I read Silver Bear in less than two days and now I am on Book 2. Silver Bear is a must read!!!! Julie from Austin
on October 5, 2008
I think this book is great, and not because we share the same last name, but because we share the same mother.
on December 19, 2009
the reader couldn't care less about what happens to the protaganist. As a result the books to follow hold little interest. The whole thing seems mechanical and uninspired.
on June 15, 2010
Derek Haas, a screenwriter who has penned such notable films as 2 Fast 2 Furious, 3:10 To Yuma, Wanted and the A Team, branches out into novels with The Silver Bear.

Columbus, known as The Silver Bear, has a particular talent for killing, and is thus one of the deadliest assassins in the world. The reader follows Columbus on what purports to be a revenge killing. If you've ever wondered what it is like to spend some time inside the mind of a killer, this book, written in the first person, is for you. Despite the fact that Columbus is a meticulous, stone cold killer, Haas balances this out by giving Columbus his own struggles and vulnerabilities, though they are underplayed at times, as Haas tries a bit too hard to emphasize his character's toughness.

The Silver Bear is short at just over two-hundred pages, much like an old pulp novel. There is plenty of action packed into it, though too many flashbacks interrupt the flow of the story. Overall the book was not bad for a first novel. Haas has potential, and it will be interesting to see how he develops as a thriller writer. Give The Silver Bear a try, and if you enjoy it, be sure to check out the sequel Columbus.
on March 25, 2014
I blew through this in a day.
Narrated in the first person, it was unusual in that it is told in the present tense.
Haas is accomplished at weaving the back-story seamlessly into the novel, building it up gradually until the reader has a sense of what makes his character tick. And I say 'his character' as if there is only one in the novel - there is only one that matters, and I can't believe that the author has written this character well enough for me to be rooting for an assassin!
The plot development at the end was unexpected and masterful.I was engrossed in it from beginning to end and am now starting the second in the trilogy, though this book stands perfectly well on its own.
on July 27, 2011
I can't compare this to other books of the genre (like many of the reviews I've read) because I don't usually read these types of books--I read it because I'm a fan of Haas' writing for films such as 3:10 to Yuma and Wanted. All I know is this action/suspense thriller kept me turning the pages, with its present tense POV and straight-for-the-jugular action. It contains many of my favorite things from novels, movies, and TV shows: a dark story about a flawed anti-hero who somehow manages to keep us on his side (even when he's committing acts of atrocity), characters who are true-to-life gray rather than black-and-white, and conflict, conflict, and more conflict.

I can't wait to read the sequel.