BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Kidz Bop PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on July 27, 2017
I can see both sides of the reviews on this. I was a little weary of buying it after reading Amazon reviews but went to an outside site and that helped me to make the decision to purchase. I feel there is a lot of good information in this book and a lot of good ideas to get you going in the right direction. It was a quick read. I think the Kindle edition is a bit over priced for what you get and as another mentioned you aren't able to highlight which I did go to do several times throughout the book and was reminded that I could not. The one thing I will agree with on the negative reviews is the website pushing, it sort of felt like a big sales pitch throughout. I think it's fine at the end of a book, but to bring it up quite regularly in the text was a bit off putting. Overall, I feel like the 15 steps presented are valuable and could be applied to help with willpower.
on August 6, 2011
This book is amazingly concise and effective. Other reviewers described the book as cutsie and childish. I can not disagree more.

The format of following stickmen through their process of achieving their goals allows you to relate to the points the author is making. For example, in one situation the stickman is trying to lose weight, but is offered dessert by his mom. Should he cut desserts out cold-turkey or should he use moderation? To help decide, the author considers both sides of the argument by presenting research from scientific studies and other authors, then presents his opinion/advice. That is a wealth of information!

In addition to the theory, the author provides steps and tips on how to build and maintain willpower. This allows the book to be useful for the zen-happy readers who love to live by quotes like "where the heart wishes to go, the body will follow", and still be useful for the people who prefer to follow specific step-by-step directions. Given the concise nature of this book, there is none of the fluff that plagues other self-help books.
on August 8, 2013
Really enjoyed the book. I noticed the book has got some negative reviews because of the lack of detail, but I would point out that the title is stated "skinny on willpower", so what the author has tried to do is distill the main points he has learned about the subject of willpower.

I have read the book 4-5 times, and although some would say it's simple, and the story is rather basic, I'm a big believer that to complete most things in life we have to learn how to do the simple things well. So, for me, the story outlines the principles that Jim Randel (the author) wants to get across in a fun and simple way, but he also distills the keys points with 15 separate points at the end of the book.

I would also like to point out that the book has a general positive attitude, but at the same time is also realistic, showing that setbacks can and do happen (as this happens in the story), but it's important how we react to these setbacks, which from personal experience, I've found to be true.

Out of the 15 points made at the back of the book the ones which stuck with me most were 1.Be sure you are totally committed, 2.Prepare yourself for a difficult journey (thinking this has helped me when the going has been tough), 3. Divide your goal into small manageable pieces (REALLY IMPORTANT in my opinion, has helped me a lot with achieving goals and getting things done), 4. Control your dominant thoughts (again REALLY IMPORTANT to stay focused...when I get distracted I repeat the words "persistence and consistency" which are the two qualities I wish to instill in myself), 5. Turn positive activity into habits (again this helps you keep a positive frame of mind, because once an activity becomes a habit it becomes easier),6. Strong willpower can take you to new heights in life (A positive and motivating way to end the book, which should leave you inspired!).

I really believe that this book managed to distill the key elements of willpower extremely well, and it's given me enough ideas and knowledge to implement in my own life. I hope this review has helped.

PS. For all those who aren't big readers, this book would be ideal for you! A quick read, but a lot of gain!
on November 4, 2011
All the books in the "skinny" library are skinny. They are designed to help you with useful tips if you don't have much time to read, or don't want to be bothered reading big books. The content is presented in a cartoon format and you may be able to read the entire book in about an hour.

In the introduction, the author points out, "Willpower- the strength to act, or forbear from acting, in the pursuit of a goal - is a critical determinant to success ... "99% of individuals who achieve their goals do so not because they are especially talented, intelligent, good-looking or even lucky, but because they find the courage and guts to act in pursuit of their dreams and persist against setbacks."

Terry Roosevelt, quoted in the book, claims "The one quality which sets one apart from another - the key which lifts one to every aspiration while others are caught up in the mire of mediocrity - is not talent, formal education, nor intellectual brightness; it is self-discipline. With self-discipline, all things are possible. Without it, even the simples goal can seem like the impossible dream."

Some of the helpful tips you will find in this book are: the better you are prepared for what you need to do, the less will-power will you need, and the easier it will be to reach your goal. The preparation consists of knowing what you want specifically, committing yourself to achieving your goal, and holding onto positive state of mind. If the goal seems overwhelming, break it down into smaller, manageable goals. You will find it easier to accomplish goals which are meaningful to you, goals that you are passionate about achieving. It will be easier to deal with set-backs and obstacles that come your way, if you identify possible crisis points in advance and consider the options you have to successfully deal with them.
on August 4, 2017
Thoughtful and simple to understand. Great short read with many illustrations.
on June 22, 2011
I bought and read this book today and now I am pumped to get home and start using the techniques I learned while reading this book.

The comic book format was perfect for me as I enjoyed the story it told and the humor.

I liked how the author synthesized useful information from a multitude of sources to teach what needed to be taught. This way I didn't have to read a bunch of other books to get the information I needed. I appreciate the work that went into this book and will be referring back to it in the weeks to come. I will be buying other books in the skinny on series when I want to learn and digest something. I hope this series expands quickly as I am a voracious reader!
on September 25, 2011
I give this book a 4 for substantive content alone. It deserves a 5 but I felt the Kindle readers should know that the PDF format makes it difficult to read on the Kindle. Thank God the book is short. I read it on my computer because the type is too small on the Kindle. It's a formatting issue that the publisher should address. But overall very informative. Just make sure you have the computer Kindle application. Enjoy!
on November 30, 2011
I think that the skinny on and the smarter comic books are the best way to learn the most important subjects in life because it summarizes many words and wisdoms from many books in a few pages that are abridged and entertaining backed by a visual way these approach make you make the most out of the subject in the shortest time possible with the maximum benefits beacuse learning with pictures stay longer in the memory and the length of the book makes it the best for reference
whether you have a lot of time or not these books will save you alot of time to spend it on what is important to you
on July 22, 2009
This is a great book. It is easy to read, very informative, and above all does what it has set to do. The book is an easy to read summary of a lot of research on the subject. Granted, it does not get into all the depth that other books on the subject get. But it does tell you most of what you need to know and has references for further reading. It can be read in a day or two while commuting to work, which is great because then you can come back to it and reread it again so the it sinks in better ;)
on March 21, 2016
Concise treatment of the subject matter. The stick figure drawings add more than they detract. All the wheat on the subject matter, and none of the chaff.