Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on May 23, 2012
Memoryhouse's debut album THE SLIDESHOW EFFECT is not just a fantastic first record, it's one of the most enjoyable of 2012 (so far). This collection of 10 dream-pop songs work wonderfully together, and they stand on their own as well. Marked by repetition, atmospheric reverb, and serene soundscapes, THE SLIDESHOW EFFECT is a great effort in the genre. Many of the songs in this collection evoke imagery playing in slow motion, much like a dream or a memory of a long-gone era. Unlike many dream-pop albums, this record demands to be paid attention to. While this music is fine for the background, the subtle details of most songs are what set this album apart from its contemporaries.

At its best, THE SLIDESHOW EFFECT is hypnotizing, beautiful, and full of imagery. There are times though, when the vocals slip from dreamy to (what felt to me as) expressionless. As always, with atmospheric indie rock, there runs a risk of coming across as pretentious or boring, but I'm happy to report that Memoryhouse completely avoids this territory. I would not be surprised to see this on many critic's top 10 of 2012 lists.

I'd recommend this album to fans of Beach House's Bloom, Wye Oak's Civilian, and Telekinesis's12 Desperate Straight Lines. Highlights of this album are "Little Expressionless Animals," "Old Haunts," and "All Our Wonder." Because I recognize that other reviews prefer other tracks to these, I'd recommend sampling the album first.
on April 29, 2012
I've been a fan of Memoryhouse for years, and their debut LP is just fantastic. It's perfect for when you need to relax and just go, "Aaaaahhhhh..." They kept their sound intact, but augmented it to make it even better.
You can feel all Denise Nouvion and Evan Abeele's wanderlust and love and hunger for beauty filling up these songs. Maybe it's the images, too, because every song feels like its own movie. It is passionate and vibrant and full of love. That, I think, is what makes a great album. The acoustic guitar opening on "Punctum" makes me feel like I've suddenly been transported to a little prairie cabin at sunset. Listening to "Bonfire" I can see two people huddled by the fireplace; snowing outside. On "Little Expressionless Animals" I can see mountains out a plane window. Every song is like that.
"The Slideshow Effect" is wonderful; five stars; and I couldn't recommend it more. I can't wait for the next one.
on October 6, 2012
I have been a Memory house fan for about a year and a half... Listened to the original EPS that were put together back when they did not have a big budget.... So I was really looking forward to their first full release.. I must say I was slightly disappointed by the change in their musical structure plus the re-recording of 2 of my favorite songs by them (Bonfire and Heirloom).. While those two songs had a unique sound with bare bones tweaking, the re-records on this cd are a little two grandiose for my ears... Some of the songs also are a change in direction for them... especially the song "The Kids Were Wrong" which has a poppy feel to it with some steel guitar for effect. The rest of the songs sort of blend into the mixture without too many standing out like their prior dream pop EP releases... I kind of thought this would happen when they revamped "The Years" EP.. and changed around "To The Lighthouse" and the songs on that EP... Don't get me wrong-- I thoroughly enjoy Memory house...Denise's vocals are haunting at times and Evan's aural backgrounds paint a beautiful landscape... I was only hoping for a little more of what I have heard from the past...with just a little tweaking here and there...Overall though, if you want to hear something different from the normal junk out there...listen to this Cd!
on June 3, 2014
Relaxin' to listen to.... Does this count as "chillwave"? I dunno, genres are never too clear for me, but I'd say this music is pretty chill.
on June 13, 2012
After an intense day of having your jimmies rustled relentlessly, and all you want to do is unrustle and find a peace of mind, listen to this. Beautiful tunes. The vocals have this nostalgic tone that brings you to that happy place in your mind. Buy it, kids.
on April 10, 2012
This is an absolutely gorgeous record, I knew I had to get it the very day it came out. Their song are akin to a more quiet and mellow Metric, furthermore, the songwriting is excellent. This is perfect music for warm summer nights, rainy days, and definately one of the best releases of 2012 thus far.

Best Tracks:
Heirloom
All Our Wonder
Bonfire
Walk With Me
on June 3, 2012
Based on the reviews, I thought this album would feature shimmering guitars, echoing keyboards and silky reverb. But instead the production is flat and the songs are supported by sparse instrumentation. This would be okay if the melodies were stronger and singer Denise Nouvion had a more interesting voice. But the only true strengths of the album are the lyrics and the booklet photography (both by Nouvion). It is my understanding that the band's earlier EP used more creative sound engineering and therefore was more provocative. No doubt it was brave of the band to take a new approach and record these songs unadorned and bare-boned. Unfortunately their starker direction, at least to these ears, results in a disappointing album.