Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 31, 2011
I have had type 1 diabetes for 16 of my 24 years of life, so this book has - so far - been great for giving me some peace of mind regarding my own health care. I love reading things that seem to have come right out of my own brain - I love knowing that I'm not alone or crazy for thinking or doing the things I do. While there isn't a ton of concrete advice in this quick read, it's great for getting other women's opinions and life stories and maybe even some tips for new things to try to manage your diabetes.

However, I was compelled to review the book simply because of the editing. There are some pretty blatant mistakes, including "you're" for "your," incorrect punctuation, poor flow, etc. I'm not even halfway through and it's getting distracting. I am just very surprised that the book was published with so many mistakes.

Even so, it's worth it for female diabetics to get and read this. I wish I'd had it when I was younger!
on November 17, 2011
The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes is written by Amy Stockwell Mercer, who I had the great pleasure of meeting earlier this year at the Diabetes Sisters Conference. Upon meeting her, I was struck by what a great listener and empathetic person she was. Then I found out she was coming out with this book and got the opportunity to read it. Here is my honest review:

Aside from great advice on many aspects of life with diabetes, this book is often a compilation of different voices, gathered and arranged by Amy, into topics such as Eating and Motherhood and Exercise. The result, I found, was a chicken soup for the diabetic woman's soul. Amy talks a lot about her own experience with type 1 diabetes all throughout the book and adds the separate perspectives of many other women with diabetes from all walks of life.

I was particularly surprised by how emotional I became while reading this book. I wasn't expecting this at all. This book portrays the honest and open feelings and thoughts of women struggling with diabetes and since I'm struggling with diabetes, I couldn't help but relate and find comfort in the fact that I certainly am not alone.

I also became very aware of some repressed emotions about my experience with diabetes. For example, I read about women who have struggled with eating disorders and realized that although I have never skipped insulin or thrown up, I have had a very intense and harsh internal battle with myself about the weight gain I experienced after my diabetes diagnosis. I realized that even now, I still have some unhealthy tendencies that I need to work on. There is advice found throughout the book that is gentle and practical and truly helpful in the area of eating and all the other topics the book covers. I imagine that for other women with diabetes, this book could help surface some emotions that need to be properly acknowledged and dealt with. Don't be afraid of this, it's a natural step forward towards healing and feeling better.

I saw someone on Facebook ask why a book would focus on women with diabetes. I think the answer is obvious. We menstruate, can get pregnant, go through menopause, and society puts unique pressures on us as women. This book speaks to us individually through the candid and often funny perspectives of different women with diabetes. I wholeheartedly recommend this book and appreciate Amy's hard work, honesty, and willingness to wear her heart on her sleeve. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to recognize some truths in me and another solid truth: that I'm NOT alone with diabetes. While our experiences are our own, it doesn't mean someone out there doesn't get it. I curled up on the couch with this book, sipped tea, and felt like I was totally understood by girlfriends. It was really nice :)
on July 26, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised to discover a book written for, by, and about diabetic women. I do own Lois Jovanovic-Peterson's book "The Diabetic Woman", and a couple of short books about diabetes and pregnancy, but that was all I could find up to this point. Being a diabetic AND a woman certainly has its own challenges and it's a subject that has sadly been very underexposed.

Having been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 18, and living with it now for almost 19 years, I have done lots of research over the years on my illness. For years I kept to myself, made many mistakes, and struggled with physical and emotional burdens. It wasn't until I reached out, took control of finding out as much as I can about diabetes, and joined diabetes communities, that I felt better and found it easier to deal with this condition.

In her book, Mercer offers plenty of good advice, shares her own story of living with type 1 diabetes, and most importantly includes countless quotes from other diabetic women giving their input on many issues that plague them. The book discusses different stages we go through as diabetic women, from childhood and adolescence, dealing with body image and dieting, balancing school, work and family, dating, sex and marriage, motherhood, and finally ageing gracefully. All while having diabetes. The input from so many women encompassing different walks of life, but all sharing two important factors: being a woman and having diabetes, was very emotional, inspiring and at times eye-opening. From "me too" moments to learning new things the book has something for everyone. And being written by a type 1 diabetic who not only shares her story but offers invaluable advice - gives the book credence and makes it an important resource. I recommend this book to all diabetic women, and those who love them.
on August 18, 2011
This is the exact book I needed to read when I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a decade ago! I looked and looked for books that would help me understand what to expect, how to cope and most of all... to provide some sense of community when I felt so alone. Although I was surrounded by supportive people I really needed to connect with others who understood the challenges I was facing. However, most books were depressing and had many chapters on the complication of diabetes, or on a traditional approach to a diabetes diet.

Amy Mercer has written a personal yet informative book with chapters of real interest to the reader, peppered with contributions from diabetic women that are genuine, heartfelt and often inspiring. You sort of feel like you're attending a supportive group as you read it! I think this book would not only be of benefit to those living with diabetes, but also to the health professionals, partners, parents and adult children who love these women. I know my mother would have loved to find a book like this when I was a new diabetic at age 25, and in fact she has already ordered two copies after reading some of my copy so she can give them to friends with both Type 1 and Type 2.

This is a book i will read and re-read over the years. I hope we see more books like this that provide a fresh, up-to-date perspective on living with diabetes!
on April 21, 2015
The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes is a book that I would recommend to any woman with diabetes. Since I am currently pregnant the pregnancy chapter is the one which is the most applicable to me. The book was written to cover all aspects of a woman's life including adolescence through "Aging Gracefully" as the author calls it. The author wrote the book because there was a void for woman with diabetes as experienced in her own search for information. The book includes a reference section as well. I do believe that if you buy this book you will not be disappointed in your purchase.
on October 19, 2011
A brilliant collection of insightful anecdotes: how women from all walks of life, grappling with a myriad of unique issues; from diagnosis, growing up with diabetes, college, dating and marriage, pregnancy, motherhood and even old age, manage and overcome their diabetes. Liked how anecdotes were interweaved with more scientific information to make for an informative pleasing read.
on August 18, 2011
I just got this book in the mail and was so excited to read it. I've been T1D for 23 years and have never really read a diabetic book. In the first chapter I cried, I laughed and I learned something new. I am so excited to have this book and highly recommend it to every diabetic out there. It encompasses all aspects of diabetes and womanhood.
on August 18, 2011
If you are a woman with diabetes and are looking for the perfect book to help you navigate life with the disease, this is IT. I've had type I for five years, and never have a read a more helpful, inspirational, and honest book.
on August 17, 2011
If you're female and looking for a book about you and diabetes "Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes" is a smart choice. Written about diabetes from the issues and life stages women experience - from adolescence, dating and dieting to body image, motherhood and careers - there is community and guidance here from a dozen women who have been there. I found myself thinking back over my own journey and loved reading what other women were going through: some had similar experiences, others quite different, but in the end I felt a sense of communion and validation. Female diabetes experts weigh in offering tips, advice and recommendations. No matter where you are now, you can look back and see what you've come through and look forward with greater insight for what' s coming. Each chapter takes us along author Amy Stockwell Mercer's journey - from denial and resentment to greater acceptance. This book is a great addition for women who already know the nuts and bolts of diabetes and a great read for men who want to better understand what their women are experiencing. No matter what stage of life you're in, you will find support and a chorus of women who have been there and understand.
on September 17, 2011
Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes is the first of its kind. The unique challenges that woman with diabetes face are too rarely discussed. In this book Amy weaves together the diverse experiences of women who live with diabetes into a practical guide that addresses real life concerns and questions you've always wanted to ask, but were too afraid to bring up.