Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 27, 2013
I bought this Kindle copy to lose weight. Instead of buying a food supplement that replaces a meal, I thought this recipe book would be better. It has been a couple of days and I already lost 5 pounds. The book is more than a recipe book. For example the introduction educates the reader how you can cure many ailments with a fruit and vegetable smoothie. I had no idea that these drinks could help with anti-aging, diabetes control, healthy skin, satisfy as a meal replacement and help out with weigh loss. I didn't even know what a smoothie was, until I read this book. They go into when the best time to have one of these drinks would be - breakfast. My favorite drinks were the pumpkin and strawberry banana smoothies. Instead of using milk, I can substitute almond milk or bananas. The other thing about the book is that it has a good and bad section on the drinks you are making. I'll enjoy this for some time to come.
171 people found this helpful
on July 25, 2015
Surprising recipes - very delicious and really different. So good you are happy to serve them to friends who don't understand your interest in smoothies or your blender a Vitamix) that sounds like low flying aircraft - the smoothies are delicious and definitely 'higher brow' concoctions than most smoothie recipes (and books). In particular, there is a fantastic bok choy smoothie with citrus juice which makes a fantastic margarita (add tequila for color). No recipe book like it, that I have found.
4 people found this helpful
on September 24, 2015
if you like juicing with lots of strange ingredients this is for you. if you like yogurt based or juice based smoothies (think Jamba juice), then this book is not for you. I never have the ingredients required
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 7, 2015
We are relative beginners to the "blending revolution". We are really happy with this book after comparing to several others at the store and in the library. It has a lot of valuable information (without overload) and innovative recipes with easy to find ingredients. We have tweaked some recipes to suit our tastes, but for us, that's part of the fun. If you're looking for a companion to your newly-purchased blender, this is for you.
7 people found this helpful
on May 2, 2013
I originally purchased this book because I enjoy drinking smoothies as a post workout recovery drink and I needed some new ideas. Wow, was I impressed. There are so many recipes and every recipe I have tried is DELICIOUS. They creatively combine fruits and vegetables to maximize nutrition and flavor. “Super Berry Freshee” and”Fruity Vitality Smoothie” are my personal favorites. Yum!

I appreciate that this book took the time to explain the nutritional benefits of each drink. Each chapter is dedicated to a certain health benefit like “Cleansing”, “Anti-aging”, and “High-Energy”. The authors thoughtfully explain how each ingredient will provide the designated health benefits. They even go the extra mile to spell out what exactly an anti-oxidant is and why they are so important.

I love the fact that there is an entire chapter dedicated to smoothies for kids. And the recipes are all really easy to make. If you have a blender and some fruits and vegetables you are ready to go.

This book would make a great gift. There is truly something for everyone. Whether you are a healthy eater looking for new ideas or someone who is starting a new diet, this book will inspire you to eat well. I can't wait to try every recipe!
on April 18, 2013
Glancing at the table of contents, before even reading the recipes, I liked how the book was organized into chapters based on the health benefits of the smoothies - from anti-aging to kid-friendly - this book seems to have it all! Even the sweet, fruity smoothies often include at least one vegetable, such as cucumber, carrot, or avocado. Some even contain veggies I never thought I would put in a smoothie, like brussell sprouts fennel, but `to each his own,' I suppose. Nearly all the recipes call for fresh fruit/veggies (not frozen) and no ice, so the smoothies won't necessarily come out cold unless you chill/freeze the fruit first. I would recommend freezing the fruit before blending - it will give the smoothie a thicker texture - but you may have to adjust the recipe a bit if you freeze. I like that the book provides in depth information about the pros (and cons!) of specific fruits/veggies. To top it all off, the recipe names are full of great puns - a huge plus if you enjoy a good pun in the morning like I do.
8 people found this helpful
on March 25, 2013
The "Smoothie Recipe Book; 150 Smoothie Recipes" provides plenty of smoothie recipes - from all fruit to really tasty combinations of fruit and veg, including potato smoothies! The recipes are conveniently organized according to their health benefits and provide "easily digested" bits of information scattered throughout the recipes on the benefits of the individual ingredients.

Covering everything from smoothies to nourish your brain to smoothies to help your digestion, as well as a kid friendly section, what I really like about this book is that it does not overwhelm you with scientific info and the info it does provide is actually accurate (which is not always the case). For example, there is a lot of hype about "alkalizing" diets that affect your blood pH. This book correctly states that there is little one can ingest that will change your blood pH but that the benefit of such diets is to other fluids and systems in the body. In the diabetic smoothie section it even wisely suggests you check with your doctor first as some smoothies contain a lot of sugar.

A healthy recipe book with accurate information is really a hard thing to find. Looking forward to trying lots of these recipes!
on December 11, 2015
For a first time juicer / smoothie person, this is not too bad of a little book. However, there are some details that have been left out that would greatly help with people (like me) who are using these recipes for health reasons. 1: There is no nutritional information for any of the recipes: no calories listed or even serving suggestions. Though the recipes state how many cups the recipes provide, non say how much is a serving. For those of us who are watching calories or other nutritional values such as protein and so forth, having a nutritional list would be beneficial. 2: It would also be helpful if there was a list of substitutions for certain ingredients (such as the honey and dairy) for people who are diabetic / lactose intolerant. Some recipes call for honey, but agave nectar is lower on the glycemic index and much easier for all bodies to digest. Common sense would provide a person the ability to substitute on their own, but some people do not know there are also healthier substitutions available. :) Otherwise, this is a great little book.
on April 5, 2013
At first I was a little leery about this book dedicated entirely to smoothies (I can't really remember the last time I even wanted a smoothie) I actually really enjoyed this book of recipes, and even tried a few in place of snacks like chips and ice cream. They were very tasty, and way better than I expected, especially considering that a good amount of them had a few fruits and vegetables that I'm not too fond of. I also liked the fact that this book actually taught me a few things about nutrition and my health, and it was explained in a way that made sense to me. I will definitely be referring back to this book, both for the recipes, and the health information, and I would also recommend this book to anyone trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
7 people found this helpful
on April 10, 2013
My house is filled with smoothie lovers. We buy a "smoothie pack" or "kit" from the grocery store, throw it in the blender along with milk and ice, and voila! We have a yummy, easy-to-make smoothie. But, it's not very healthy. This book caught my attention because the introduction discusses the health benefits of smoothies that are made with good ingredients and not artificial sweeteners or sugar. By the time I hit chapter 1, I about dropped my Kindle and ran! Pumpkin juice smoothies...are you kidding me? With hesitation, I made it for my kids who are tough critics. They wanted more! After that encouragement, I continued reading and trying the recipes. The directions are simple. The ingredients can be a little expensive and sometimes hard to find in the Midwest, but worth the search. I am really impressed by how easy this recipe book makes quick and healthy eating.
2 people found this helpful