Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Snowman [VHS]
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Format: VHS Tape|Change

on November 25, 2007
It was endearing as a story book when I first came upon The Snowman as a kid. It had no words. Just those captivating blues and whites on the page.

The same charm is captured in this short animation. Everything is as it was in the book, only this time the images move. Every kid (and the young at heart) is sure to love the story of a snowman who comes to life one evening and befriends a little boy. Together, they spend an evening of fun, first inside the boy's house, in the snow-covered yard, then into the north pole where the boy meets a community of snowmen and Santa, too. And after those funny moments and the lilting music, the bittersweet ending is unexpected. That last scene continues to haunt me every time I remember The Snowman.
on January 20, 2014
Didn't realize it would not play on a U.S. DVD player. It was formatted to play only in Region B???
on December 22, 2004
I am so grateful that our PBS station featured The Snowman video over 20 years ago. It was instantly captivating and we immediately ordered a VHS copy to have in our home. This story gives children an opportunity to use their imaginations and to enjoy a bit of wonderful "magical fantasy". I began giving a copy of the Raymond Briggs video, book, and plush "The Snowman" doll as gifts for baby showers. Children love the story and it provides a nice contrast to the hurly burly and commercialism that seem to be the hallmarks of Christmas in modern times. Sadly, the dolls seem to be no longer available in the United States, but can be ordered from shops in England.
on June 4, 2007
We first bought the VHS version and then the DVD. We never fail to watch it several times during the Xmas season, sometimes just the wife and I without the grandchildren. One of those few videos that contain no "bad" language or violence, and yet is a joy for all ages to view. To adults it evokes sentimentality, emotions, and sometimes that unquenchable thirst to be young and innocent again that we don't normally allow ourselves to feel. To the children it provides the joy of being allowed to empathize with the young boy in the video for the few minutes that the video lasts.
on January 21, 2008
As a kindergarten teacher, I am always on the lookout for gentle, thought provoking literature and activities that promote higher learning and creativity. I first found The Snowman in book form, and later discovered this jewel of a DVD; a wordless, kind, little 30 minute animated journey a boy makes with his self-created snowman friend. After viewing this DVD my students write about the trips they might take with their own snow person and the adventures they incur. With no dialogue in the DVD, it opens up a new world of quiet thoughtfulness that my students have never been exposed to before. A true gem, I recommend The Snowman highly!
on March 2, 2015
This DVD is an all time favorite at my house. I would highly recommend it! Love it!
on December 24, 2010
I remember growing up, we had this short animation on VHS, and my mom bought it for the family on DVD and it arrived just today. I'm watching it right now and it still lives up to my childhood memory. This is a great story and if you have never seen it and are contemplating getting it, don't think twice, you won't be disappointed. My only disappointment with this film is that it isn't given it's proper dues...this should be mandatory available in ALL retail stores.

Told through a musical score that is some beautiful, and animated to feel like you're reading it straight from the children's book!
on June 26, 2007
This movie is an old classic that everyone should see and the music is amazing.
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2000
Simply put, this film is magical. The gentle colors of the characters, the moving musical accompaniment and the everlasting message of friendship, trust and love make THE SNOWMAN a true classic for children young and old.
Sixteen years ago I showed this film to my Kindergarten students and this past Christmas happened upon one of them who told me they still love to watch it every year. It holds one of the purest messages of love that I've ever seen portrayed in this animated format.
on February 17, 2007
I saw this late one Christmas night on PBS back in about 1987. I remembered the story, the music, and that David Bowie narrated it. This past season I searched for it under "snowman, David Bowie" and found it and bought it. The film is truly magical and my 2 year old is mesmerized by it. The music throughout is fantastic. Highly recommended. The only negative comment I have is that the Bowie narrative (or intro?) is gone, despite the fact that his name is mentioned in the cast. (The spoken intro in the DVD, by someone else not identified, is good too by the way).