Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Snowmen
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on January 10, 2011
Yes, 5 stars. And I'm not even going to talk about the plot.

Not only was this the best thing on TV in many, many moons, but it was also the best episode of Doctor Who since... possibly as far back as the middle of Season 4. If I've learned anything from past Doctors, it's that it takes about a season for the new actor to become the roll.

In this episode, Matt Smith is the Doctor.

This is the first episode since Moffat took over that I felt like we got to see the Doctor through many different lenses, and that adds to the dynamic and shear scope of the character. (The Amy/Rory side-plot is pivotal in establishing this effect.)

Watch this episode. Then watch it again because it's even better the second time.

Also, I feel I should add that this was the first thing I bought and watched through my new Roku. That thing is awesome.
Watching the modern Doctor Who one-off specials has certainly become an unexpected Christmas tradition in our home. And each Doctor brings his own spin to the holiday themed episodes. Last year Matt Smith's Doctor took on Dickens in an outer-space interpretation of "A Christmas Carol." It was frenetic and funny, managed to seamlessly blend tragedy with humor, and was emotionally satisfying without being cloying. This year, we had "The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe" (its central plot point borrows from a certain literature classic--I think you can figure out which one). This may well be the most straightforward and heartfelt Christmas special yet. Set in World War II era Britain, Smith helps a family adjusts to what promises to be a painful season by making a perfect getaway experience for the kids. However, with the best of intentions, one of the Doctor's surprises leads to unexpected dangers. The family must work together to ensure their very survival and get back home.

The special capitalizes of an eco-friendly theme as the principle aliens within the piece are not your typical beasts. They too are a race battling to live as manmade intrusions into their environment threaten their existence and livelihood. Might the Doctor and his charges be of assistance? It is Christmas after all. Or as certain annihilation looms, might it be too late for anyone to survive? This is Doctor Who after all. The show's pacing is brisk and its storyline affirms a strong message of loyalty and family. In fact, the Doctor's exposure to the widow and her children make him contemplate those that he has left behind through the course of his exploits.

While many of the past Christmas specials were completely independent, "The Doctor, The Widow, and The Wardrobe" actually fits comfortably into the timeline of the on-going series. With a minimum of screen time, the show's finale packs an emotional punch that really resonates and sets up future episodes. And while, in truth, the main story was pleasant enough--it is these last few minutes that really distinguish this special and make it memorable. Smith is crisp and amusing as always, but it is Claire Skinner (as the mother) that really gets some nice dramatic moments. All in all, this is a very well balanced presentation. And, especially due to the last few moments, it is one that I will remember. A solid 4 star episodes with a simple but effective 5 star finale, I'd rank this as one of the sweetest (and possibly best) Christmas specials yet. KGHarris, 12/11.
on January 30, 2011
Steven Moffat crafts a beguiling story brought to time-twisting life by the most fun Doctor, yet, in a play on Dicken's classic. Vocalist Katherine Jenkins brings class with her timeless voice and a first-ever acting appearance carried off like a pro. And Matt Smith brings it all to life in a role he now owns lock, stock and barrel. It has reached the point where I can barely look at the guy without chuckling in delight.

If you are new to Who, spend 2-bucks on this one, anyway. Odds are you'll wind up traveling back into time for a look at the 2005 season rebirth of this series that has been timeless since the 60's. Then, if your cable system doesn't offer BBC-America ... demand it for the upcoming new split season starting spring 2011. Cowboy hats are 'cool' ....
on December 27, 2011
We watched this year's special as a family; and it has just the right combination of danger, humor, heart and surprises. Fun!
on December 27, 2011
That was a really beautiful Christmas story. So many wonderful emotions from start to finish. The actress who played Madge was awesome! She really carried the show since a lot of the emotional scenes were her's.

Loved the Doctor at the end.

Beautiful! I'd watch it again.
on December 30, 2010
I like Doctor Who, but frankly the Christmas specials have been a bit disappointing in the past. Not this one! Well written, well executed with many great one-liners. One of the best DrWho episode I have seen to date.
on December 29, 2012
It was of high production value. Good acting. A few very cool parts. The story on the other hand - did anybody give it much thought? It just kind of rambled on in different directions not wanting to ever end. Doesn't seem much thought was put into it. Left you with a ton of questions and many things that just didn't make sense.
on December 30, 2012
Well, I've loved Dr. Who over the years. But I think the writers are making a mistake here. I thought River Song was supposed to be the love of his life, but now he's entranced with someone else. It's an OK story with a very silly Sherlock Holmes crossover. So, to like this one, you need to forget all the angst of the last couple of years. The Pond family, poof! As if they never existed. So I guess I have a continuity complaint.

Matt Smith is a sweetie, of course, always a lively performance. But, I think I'm getting tired of the series.
on June 21, 2011
I love Doctor Who and I think the quality overall is wonderful but every so often an episode is so much more. I feel that way about Blink and this Christmas Carol episode as well. It's like Groundhog day meets It's a wonderful life.

There is a cookie cutter formula applied to Christmas episodes for many tv shows and especially when it comes to using the Dickens story as a template or reference point. Well this episode of Doctor Who does not follow the usual path. It is unique and that is a triumph on it's own. I think Charles Dickens would have liked this one very much. It's definitely in my top 5.

2010 staring Harry Potter's Michael Gambon. HD on Amazon. Looks great.

The story itself is witty and it's worth the effort just for that alone but there is also a special effect science fiction element of these fish and sharks that can swim in the atmosphere.
on March 14, 2014
I've been a Doctor Who fan since I first discovered him on PBS in 1984. I'm still a huge fan of the original series, but the new Who is every bit as good, just a little different. Whenever anyone asks if I have a favorite I paraphrase Will Rogers and say "I've never watched a Doctor I didn't like." Sure, some episodes are better than others, but overall the show is still as good as it's ever been. If your a fan at all, and a completist like I am, you have to have every single episode. They're all good, most are great, and these specials are no exception.