Customer Reviews: The Solo Traveler's Handbook: For Those Who Love And Those Who Long To Go Solo
Amazon Vehicles Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits STEM Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Lady Gaga Shop Cycling on Amazon

on October 11, 2012
You don't have to be single to travel solo!. Maybe you want to visit a destination, but your partner doesn't . Janice Waugh has shown in her Solo Travel books that anyone can travel solo if you're equipped with the right advice. She provides essential safety tips, such as not arriving at night at an unknown destination, suggestions on dining alone and advice on how to manage your finances in order to get you there. Janice even provides suggestions on how to photograph yourself on your solo journey. This is an exceptionally detailed and informative resource for anyone thinking of taking a solo journey. I highly recommend this book as a source for travelling solo.
on October 7, 2012
As an experienced solo traveler myself, I know a thing or two on the subject, and I can absolutely recommend this book for anyone who is considering the option of traveling solo but may have reservations, anyone who just wants to know more about the practical aspects of traveling solo, and those who just want to read some great stories to reinforce their love of solo travel. The book is well-organized, well-written, and contains personal stories from Janice's own travels as well as practical tips on traveling safely and well. Be sure to pay special attention to her 5 Principles of Safety. Solo travel can be done quite safely in many parts of the world, you just need to do your research up front and follow certain safety guidelines. Solo travel can also be a lot of fun--and despite what most people fear, not usually lonely at all--as Janice's stories illustrate. If you've never traveled solo before and you're curious about what to expect or how to do it, this is a must-read.
on February 27, 2014
I was intrigued by the title because I had planned on doing some solo traveling so I downloaded the book. I'm a guy and I found the book to be mostly geared to women (author actually photographed her shoes!) although I did take photos of the 'Resources' pages to use later as needed. It's basic, common sense travel info like: don't arrive at a new destination at night, protect your valuables and don't get too drunk in new areas. To whom would I recommend this book? A recent high school graduate taking his/her first trip.
on April 27, 2016
Ended up returning this book. It was very scattered and didn't really provide any information that I wouldn't have already known. Maybe if you have never traveled before, I could see this offering a little bit of insight, but nothing a simple google search wouldn't also give you. If you're looking for decent travel advice, I would invest in a better resource.
on May 30, 2015
This is a great travel resource, not only for solo travelers but also for anyone who is a little hesitant about foreign travel. Women seem more hesitant to step out into the unknown without a travel companion. Men, on the other hand, blithely pack a bag and head out to the unknown. This book is filled with just about anything a solo traveler could be met with - arriving in the dead of night in a strange town and trying to find your hotel, for instance. And it's a real pleasure to read about Janice's adventures, the friends she made along the way, and so much more.
on December 18, 2013
lots of good ideas for someone to consider and think about before traveling solo. just remember to take along a little courage and go, I did this past sept. when I took myself to Ireland, and drove myself around, had a great time.
on January 1, 2016
The Solo Traveler's Handbook approaches its reader with a friendly and inspiring attitude - after finishing, I am filled with inspiration to travel soon, (by) myself! In that sense, I think it brings something to everyone who has that inner wanderlust. In general, however, I would say it's a book which mainly benefits those who are not already accustomed to travelling, whether by themselves or otherwise - although there were certainly some tips I think semi-experienced solo travelers can learn from as well.
on August 14, 2015
I've just perused the book - safety, common sense, etc. I'm traveling solo to Buenos Aires next year and wanted some insight from a seasoned solo traveler. Since I've traveled many places, mostly getting there by myself then meeting someone, it didn't offer a whole lot of new information. What I like about it was the information all in one source - instead of my head, it's written for an easy read and reference. It's like tangible reassurance and reminding. Worth the price.
on October 12, 2012
This is the book every traveler should read; whether you are traveling alone, with someone, for pleasure, or for business. Lots of great tips and wonderful updated safety info.
on September 21, 2014
I was enlightened and encouraged by the instructions and stories in this book. I am alone now and would like to keep traveling but there are so many times when I will have to go alone. This book was very helpful for me to start doing just that in safety and with more peace of mind. Thanks to the author and all who contributed to it.