Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,816 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,509 reviews
on October 30, 2015
This movie needs a ten star-review. Despite its enchanting songs and story telling, it contrasts with the Anschluss plot. That somber period of Nazi Germany's annexation of Austria. "While The Sound of Music was in tryouts in Boston, Richard Rodgers felt Captain von Trapp should have a song with which he would bid farewell to the Austria he knew and loved. Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II decided to write an extra song that Captain von Trapp would sing in the 'Kaltzberg Festival' (Salzburg Festival in the film) concert sequence towards the end of the show. As they were writing it, they felt that this song could also utilize the guitar-playing and folk-singing talents of Theodore Bikel, who had been cast originally as the Captain (Christopher Plummer eventually got the job). The Lindsay and Crouse script provides the metaphor of the simple edelweiss wildflower as a symbol of the Austria that Captain von Trapp, Maria, and their children knew would live on in their hearts despite the Nazi annexation of their homeland. The metaphor of this song builds on an earlier scene when Gretl (played by Kym Karath, the youngest of the seven von Trapp children) presents a bouquet of edelweiss flowers to The Baroness Elsa Schraeder (played by Eleanor Parker) during her visit to the von Trapp household. Rodgers provided a simple yet haunting and affecting waltz-time melody to the simple Italian style ritornello lyric that Hammerstein wrote about the appearance of the edelweiss flower. This song turned out to be one of the most beloved songs in the musical, and also one of the best-loved songs of Rodgers and Hammerstein."
review image
on March 15, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies. I always look forward to it being on tv around Christmas, and I purchased the DVD so I can watch it anytime. No one can hold a candle to Julie Andrews singing. She is so good! And the clarity of both sound and image on this DVD is stunning, much better than when I would watch it over the air (and no commercial interruptions)! While I don't watch this all the time, it was worth purchasing it so I can watch it as often as I like.
on March 19, 2015
Who doesn't love the sound of music?? This movie is fantastic!! I just bought this 50th anniversary disc and the HD quality is AMAZING!! The cast is, of course, incredibly talented with the beautiful Julie Andrews as Maria and the handsome Christopher Plummer as Captain Von Trapp. The disc came in perfect condition in the box! There are bonus features including a Looney tunes short (with the coyote and the roadrunner), the theatrical trailer, and behind the scenes shots. This movie is the perfect gift for any fan of classic musicals (like me). Let your house come alive with songs like: Do-Re-Mi, The Sound of Music, Something Good, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, I Have Confidence, My Favorite Things, and The Lonely Goatherd!!
on January 1, 2016
The Sound of Music (1965)
For all the liberties made to historical accuracy, I think it goes without saying, a movie is being made, and without certain poetic license, the bird of genius cannot fly, so leeway must be given... and in so doing here, a truly important and beautiful result is made.
Captain Von Trapp's (Christopher Plummer) stone intensity as a disciplinarian who has forgotten how to love, who has lost his inner music after the death of his wife, is softened and freed through the inspiring lightness of Maria's (Julie Andrews) enchanting entrance into he and his seven children's life as the house's new Governess...
While the leads balance each other, the sweetness of the music is equally balanced by the sobriety of the situation in which they find themselves, during the Nazi occupation of Austria.
What intrigues me is that in the song "16 Going on 17" the young boy Rolf who appears to be in love with Leisl warns her of being seduced by men, but in the end it is he who is seduced, by the Nazis... and it is so often the case in life that while teaching others we grow cocky and forget that we too are still students, and capable of falling prey to our own folly...
We also must understand though, even as the Von Trapp family escapes over the Alps to Freedom (the truth is they fled by train during the day to Italy), that those who helped them may not get off so lightly even though it is unshown in the film... the nuns who would obviously be recognized as having helped them by removing the car's carburetor, the man at the festival would likely be found complicit in helping them escape, and I mention them because it is impossible not to think of those who gave their lives to help so many escape the Nazis tyranny, and now it is our turn to help new refugees escape tyranny... the more that things change, the more they stay the same...
I am an emotional person, and connecting emotionally with characters does help enjoyment, but also confirms bias and dilutes objectivity for sure... but ultimately, I believe The Sound of Music earns all five of its Oscars.
The Amazon film ends with a one-hour behind the scenes look into the film and the Von Trapp family hosted by Julie Andrews. A perfect way to end the film.
And like Maria, like Julie Andrews, my life is truly eased through singing my music, so perhaps as a singer, as a Jew, I relate quite intimately with the story.
And it is true as is sung in the movie, and I leave you with that idea now...
"My heart will be blessed with the sound of music. And I'll sing once more."
on May 19, 2016
Thank you Richard Rodgers for the genius of your melodies and Oscar Hammerstein II for the warmth and poetry of your lyrics. Thank you Julie Andrews for your crystalline, four octave voice and Christopher Plummer for your memorable portrayal. I do not believe that the quality of musicals such as "The Sound of Music", "My Fair Lady", and "West Side Story" will ever be matched again. But at least these musical masterpieces are preserved forever on film and DVD. Bravo, bravo!
on July 17, 2017
The Sound of Music is an adaptation of Rodgers and Hammerstein's stage musical of the same name. It follows Maria, a free-spirited young woman studying to become a nun in an abbey in Austria, who is sent to the villa of a retired naval officer to be the governess of his seven children.

Most reviews focus on the quality of the film itself, but I'm going to write about the disc quality. The detail in this disc is amazing, even by today's standards, the colors are well saturated, the sound is great too, and the special features, which include commentaries by Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and director Robert Wise, a sing-along of all the songs in the film and an extra disc with an hour-long documentary of Julie Andrews going back to Selzburg 50 years after the release of the film.

If you are a fan of the film, I recommend that you buy this disc right now, you won't regret it
on October 2, 2013
Do a deer...

Sound of Music was a well done family movie/musical set in Austria during World War II. The "von Trapp" family lost their mother and now the father, a naval officer, is left raising his children alone. In an effort to ensure their proper upbringing, he acquires a "nun" (Julie Andrews) from the nearby convent for assistance. This is where the fun and family friendly lessons begin (read: lots of singing). The famous "Do, Re, Me, Fa, So, La, Te" song, "Goodbye, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Goodnight" and many others.

But enough about the movie - as you can likely read a much better review of that on another website dedicated to the movie...this gift box has everything you could ever want for this wonderful, classic film. An excellent quality DVD/Blu-Ray (no, they didn't do the impossible and enhance it to current standards) for the quality of the original cut. I'd say the certainly cleaned it up enough to avoid any excess noise normally seen on VHS and other old standards. The box itself is well-made and capable of holding all the goodies you'll receive with this set. And in the end...you'll have the opportunity to show this film to the next generation of children...keeping the Sound of Music alive.

Overall - if you enjoyed the movie and believe it would be a great gift to give someone (or your own collection) then I highly recommend getting this gift set.
on January 22, 2016
This is a review of the 50th anniversary blu-ray ultimate collection.

Because there are 5 discs in this set, I'm going give each one it's own rating and give thoughts on each one.

Blu ray disc one: The movie--***** The movie looks and sounds better than ever. The 7.1 Audio mix is wonderful. The songs sound even better in this mix. They have cleaned up every frame of the picture which is a time consuming task-esp for a 3 hour movie. The colors are more vibrant than ever. This is like watching the movie again for the first time!

Blu ray disc 2: Special features--***** I never had the 40th anniversary edition, so most of the stuff here is new to me. I do have the 5 gold star collector's edition that was released in 2002-which is out of print-this was a two disc set and had a couple of things that are included here--the 87 min documentary "The Sound of Music: From Fact to Phenomenon" and the 13 min feature: "Salzburg Sight and Sound" and some trailers if I remember correctly. It took me 2 days to watch all this. There are hours of stuff here and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Blu ray Disc three--*** "The sound of a City: Julie Andrews returns to Salzburg" this was Ok. It's only 60 minutes and it's the only thing on this disc. It was nice seeing Julie Andrews in something new-but really--after watching the stuff on disc 2-it just feels like Been there-done that.

DVD---(no rating)I feel no need to watch this on DVD. it does say on the label that it has been remastered for this release and I suppose if something was to go wrong with my Blu ray player-it would be handy-despite my having the already mentioned release from 2002.

CD Soundtrack--***this is an admittedly goofy CD. One reviewer claimed that the songs are sung in German. This is partially correct. Most of it is in English, however there are several bonus tracks(The last 20 minutes)with German versions of some songs. Why did 20th century fox include the German portion of the sound track? It makes no sense at all.

Overall-I'm very happy with this release-and we'll see how they try to top this in 5 or 10 years.

Here is link to a page that has a complete listing on everything in this set:

on June 6, 2017
The sound volume is quite low. I turned it up twice the usual volume level and it still sounded weak. This is supposed to be blue ray which has better sound quality. Rather disappointed in this. The songs are great and need to sound more vigorous. I have watched a regular DVD of this movie and it sounded much much better .... like in the movie.

I believe there was a manufacturing problem in making this Blue Ray DVD.
on March 30, 2015
AWESOME MOVIE! No need for me to repeat all the praise so well done by others. But I have one question about the Blu Ray version dark scenes in the abbey. Although Maria's face is well lit, the lighting and shadows are so black that I can't see the Peggy Wood's face on "Climb Every Mountain" or see the wood trim under her desk that's more visible on the DVD version. When Maria leaves the abbey, her face is also lost in the dark shadow of the archway. There are a few other scenes in the movie that also seemed lost in shadows.

Are the shadows supposed to be so dark and black in those scenes that faces are difficult to see? I'm watching the Blu Ray disk on a new Sony 60" display using a PS3 player. Please tell me if I'm missing something about how the movie is supposed to look. It's driving me crazy thinking something is wrong. I'd be happier knowing that I'm wrong about understanding what I'm seeing.

Thanks very much for any assistance to explain the correct vision of the shadow scenes in the abbey.