Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 185 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 283 reviews
on July 31, 2014
I got this used like new and it came in MINT condition for just over $9 and free prime shipping. This is for the hard cover book, it is larger than most books which I like as it is easily accessed from the kitchen counter reader. I tried using the digital editions but found it too cumbersome and had to print out a lot of information wasting ink, thus wasting a lot of money.

I highly recommend and do suggest you look at the used like new books, mine looks brand new and saved me over $10.00.

I hope this helps, Cheers and Vidimo Se!
on January 6, 2015
Wow this is a diet I can follow and enjoy without being hungry and sacrificing taste. I love to cook an I bought this book along with several other South Beach cookbooks and diet books. The recipes are easy and straight forward and are categorized as Phase 1, Phase 2 or Phase 3.
VINE VOICEon April 20, 2004
"The Southbeach Diet Cookbook" was written to provide a number of recipes to complement the original "The Southbeach Diet" book.
The cookbook opens with an overview of the diet program. It describes the diet though not in the detail of the original book. It explains what you need to do to get your fridge and pantry 'southbeach' friendly. It explains what is allowed in terms of diary, meat, oils, pasta, snacks, beverages and more.
Next the book has a question/answer session with Dr. Agatston. In this section he updates some of the information from the original book (milk and yogurt are now allowed in phase 1 for example) and he gets into more detailed regarding different types of food.
Then comes the core of the book. The recipe categories include breakfasts, appetiziers and snacks, soups, salads, side dishes and accompaniments, fish shellfish and poultry, meats, vegetarian entrees and desserts. Each recipe indicates what phase it is appropriate for and many of the recipes are pictured in mouthwatering photographs!
Sample recipes include Vegetable Salad with Feta, Homestyle Green Bean Casserole, Pan Seared Pecan Grouper, Whole Wheat Vegetable Lasagna, and Apple and Almond Souffle. Over 200 recipes.
One very nice feature is the inclusion of recipes so you can make many of your own condiments. Unfortunately ketchup, barbeque sauce and many other "toppers" are laden with high fructose corn syrup. So Dr. Agatston includes the details on how you can make your own.
Overall the quality of recipes is very good. The one negative I have is the total avoidance of sugar and reliance on sugar substitutes. I would rather use real sugar in moderation than sugar substitutes like aspartame. He has a recipe for strawberries with velvety chocolate dip and suggests you use sugar free chocolate syrup. Instead why not use a high quality cocoa bar and melt it down. This is healthier than the faux sugars like malitol,which are in sugar free products and so much more satisfying.
Dr. Agatston has some wonderful recipes in this book from top chefs and restaurants and they are worth buying the book for. But many of the desserts with the fake sugars and fat free sour cream fall flat. Moderation is key. Use the real deal in a tiny quantity like the French do.
on May 11, 2017
Great book. It arrived in great/new condition. It has over 200 recipes W/ beautiful color photos. The recipes are simple enough, & I think it'll help keep me from getting bored w/ the diet. Phase 1 is the trickiest.
on March 27, 2017
Lots of good recipes, not really easy for a single person trying to lose weight.
on July 10, 2014
I use many of the recipes in this book. This diet has helped my type 1 diabetic husband control his blood sugars which in turn has curbed his moodiness (highly related to what we eat) as well as drop 10 pounds. It has helped me (a sweet's addict) take control of my cravings and fill full. I love the simplicity of the South Beach Diet.
on August 2, 2016
great book to help get through the diet or any time, whether your on the diet or not. simple and healthful recipes, that use ingredients you have on the shelf already.
on March 10, 2012
I have been using these cookbooks for several months now. All of the recipes I have used my husband has loved. Of course it wouldn't take much to please him as his previous cooks were not much to speak about. I do appreciate that it doesn't take a chef to make him happy. We have been loosing pounds along with enjoying the new recipes which makes both of us happy. We are adventureous in life as well as in our eating habits. We have throughly enjoyed these Cook Books.
on May 24, 2004
I'm a long time (as these things go) south beach dieter: I started in January 2003, lost 30 pounds by July 2003, and have kept it off. I bought this cookbook because of the initial buzz that there would be some really interesting new recipes. Unfortunately, the first two I tried were bombs. The oven roasted chick peas had very little flavor and a really odd texture (maybe I didn't roast long enough? Perhaps, but they still could have used some kick to the flavor.) Based on reviews here, I next tried the salmon in creamy lemon sauce, billed as having a remarkably rich and creamy taste. It was average at best; the sauce was thin and the flavor one-dimensional. At this point, I actually printed out an Amazon lable to send the book back. However, I had tagged one last recipe to try--the oatmeal pancakes. These were dynamite! I had tried some VERY expensive lo-carb pancake mixes that yielded odd little things that tasted like bad synthetic omelets, and had sort of resigned myself to no pancakes. But the oatmeal pancakes recipe here? Beautiful cakes, fabulous flavor, good texture. I made a whole recipe, ate 3, and put the rest in a bag in the frig. Then every morning, I popped some in the toaster oven, where they heated up beautifully. Re-inspired, I went back to the cookbook and made escarole with white beans. Another hit! Tonight I will try the salmon with 5-spice seasoning and lime juice, and see how that is. I think now that I will keep the book, and see what other jewels I can come up with.
on June 4, 2014
I have spent my whole life working with doctors and all of the diets, after reading this book suggested by my current doctor and speaking with friends who have read this book and going on the South Beach Diet this is such a great suggestion to help you start cooking and preparing your foods to HELP You!
I gave it 10*