Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,152 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,981 reviews
on July 3, 2016
This diet is full of common sense and I have lost weight by following the guidelines. It is easy to follow with lots of veggies, sensible proteins and cutting out processed foods, white flour and sugar.
There are some errors in the book though. In the first two week phase, you are supposed to avoid carrots (higher sugar content) yet in the first phase recipe section, the recipe includes carrots.
A minor detail to be sure, but still, this is not the only example I've noticed and I am wondering who proofed/approved this and what other errors there may be. (Hey, if you are following something to the letter and the letters are wrong....not good)
This is easier to follow than Atkins and allows "good" carbs and fats.
This is not so much a "diet" as a way to eat well , enjoy your food and make good choices for life.I am learning to "eat to live" instead of "living to eat" and this is a help.
on March 20, 2016
If you're not careful, you might mistake this for a regular cookbook rather than a diet one. My wife, who is not on a diet, has been enjoying these recipes as well. There's a wonderful variety in here. The recipes are simple and easy to fix. I like how each recipe is clearly marked to indicate the corresponding phase. Some miss the mark, but the majority are right on target. There's a heavy emphasis on flavor.
on February 15, 2013
I highly recommend getting the "The South Beach Diet" book and read that thoroughly, but I do recommend THIS cookbook to use in conjunction with it. Some recipes I prefer over others, but all are tried & tested.

Since Phase 1 is the most difficult of the 3 Phases, I will only list Phase 1 recipes to help you determine if this is the Cookbook for you.

ALL PHASE 1 RECIPES ~ Cookbook has Phase 2 & Phase 3 recipes as well, but these are ALL Phase 1 recipes

Breakfast
Breakfast Turkey Stack
Swiss Cheese & Vegetable Omelet
Spicy Tomatillo Scramble
Almond Energy Blast
Egg, Bacon & Tomato "Sandwiches" (the tomato is the "bread" ~ more like a stack in my opinion)
Southwest Style Chicken Frittata

Southwest Pepita & Pecan Mix

Salads
Warm Spinach Salad w Mushrooms
Jicama, Tomato & Black Bean Salad
Eggless Caesar Salad ~ eggs are allowed, but this is nice for those who don't like eggs
Ribbon Salad

Baked Pesto Chicken
Chicken Green Curry
Baked Barbecue Chicken w South Beach Barbecue Sauce

Beef / Pork / Lamb
South Beach Classic Burger (no bun)
Thai Grilled Beef w String Beans
Lamb Chops w Chimichurri Sauce
Peppery Steak w Horseradish Cream
Beef w Asparagus & Mushrooms
Pork Chops w Fennel & Lemon
Stuffed Pork Burger (no bun)
Pork Satay
Pork Scaloppine w Herbs

Vegetarian
Gingered Tofu Salad
Portobella Burgers (no bun)
Italian Style Tofu Bake

Indian Spiced Lentils
Classic Ratatouille
Spinach w Garlic & Pine Nuts

Desserts
Sadly None are Phase 1 ~ but I will say that Sugar Free Jello & Sugar Free Cool Whip are really quite addictive once you give them a chance.
First, I am not a dieter! I never believed in that, but for a short stature, and midlife, my weight was at a standstill after lots of walking daily. I needed to lose at least 15 pounds, possibly 20.

Hubby, on the other hand, was the first to diet, since he has trouble walking fast or great distance. I figured this is the most efficient method for him to lose stomach fat! He effectively needed to lose 20 pounds to be more physically fit for age and health.

The South Beach Diet was our choice, and when I saw that he made a change in his life, lost about 20 pounds in few months, I accidently started to lose weight too. Simply because I was cautious of cooking or buying foods he could not have. This is about predominatly losing the stomach fat in men. As for women, you lose it in the hips, butt, and thighs.

Make a lifestyle change
The book is wonderful in educating you on the safety, health, history of the prescribed changes for dieting. It is easy without measuring, counting calories, or starving.

Lose the Cravings! Good time to stop bad habits.
I sit at a desk and stare into a computer all day, and nibbling always gets into the act, Chinese crackers, that once in a while nutbar, lots of fruit. That was what consisted of most of my nibblings. So I did have control, but on the diet, you do LOSE the CRAVINGS, just as the book says. My goal is to eat effectively without gaining the cravings. And, if you are on the diet for weeks at a time, on or off, it may be a good time to stop any bad eating habits.

Recipes, lists, and more
There are plenty of recipes for that lifestyle change. The book also effectively lists the foods to avoid/or lessen in your lifetime, and the Foods to Avoid/Foods to Have in phases 1 and 2.

If I hadn't seen this work before my own eyes, I would not have believed it. But the real trick is to KEEP the Weight OFF .....Rizzo
on September 4, 2006
My husband and I were overweight and we knew we had to do something about it, but somehow we kept postponing it.
Then one day I had to step on my doctor's scale and that was the last straw.
I was in Brazil at the time visiting with my sons but I went online and ordered from Amazon The South Beach Diet book, so that when I was back to America the book would be already delivered to my house.I read it right away and put it into practice.
We thought the first week, when you have to cut down the intake of carbs to a minimum, was going to be what we would call "the divorce diet" . But to our surprise it wasn't.
Your are never hungry and you don't have the urge to eat the foods you aren't supposed to.
Once we made it past the first week we decided to stay on the first phase for a month, so easy and tasty it was.
We had had our blood tested before we've got started.
Then we had it tested 2 months after going on The South Beach diet and what a nice surprise that was.
Colesterol, triclycerides, everything went down low.
My husband lost 34 pounds and I lost 20 pounds. And we've kept it off.
It's been 11 months we're on The South Beach Diet and we don't feel like we're missing anything.
on November 14, 2013
All of South Beach Diet recipes are awesome! If you have the time to get organized, shop and cook. This is the one for you. It's well worth the time and effort. This is the ONLY diet I've ever been on that I actually lost weight and loved all of the food. The food is better then any restaurant out there and it's easy to make. You never feel deprived while on the diet on the contrary you feel amazed at the delicious five star foods you can eat and still lose weight. This one is a winner. All the ingredients are common and easy to find too. Like Dr. Agatston says it's not a diet it's a lifestyle and GREAT one at that.
on December 15, 2013
This is the Best way to eat!! My husband and I lost 60 lbs each within 6 months, and when our son wanted to eat healthier, I bought this for him to use. Now, the recipies in this do make your grocery bill go up, but it makes your waistline go down, which is a good thing. It is a great way to eat if you are at home and able to get fresh produce and able to cook on a daily basis, if you are a truck driver and constantly moving, it is a bit more difficult. We try to follow it as closely as we can, but it is very difficult in this job. I truly recommend this book for anyone who is really wanting to change their life and become healthier.
on August 24, 2013
I recently bought this copy for a friend and a few years ago for my mother, who both have trouble eating for their diabetes type 2 diagnoses. I bought my own copy about 10 years ago and recommend it all the time because Agatston teaches readers (in about 100 pages(the rest includes recipes) how food affects your body, the simple facts about micronutrients, and how to avoid diabetes/obesity. It is hard to do phase one, but after about 3 days you stop craving junk/fast food. He says it's okay to fall off the wagon, just don't make it a habit. In phase two and three, you learn to add back healthy carbohydrates and fats. If you can discipline yourself a little bit, you will achieve results and, most importantly, develop a new way of eating (the right way to eat). In addition, it is a very forgiving lifestyle; he says not to deprive yourself. If you're out to eat and you want cheesecake, go ahead and get it--but only eat 5 bites or less and share it with somebody. Every once in a while I reread this just to keep motivated to eat well. I've lost 35 lbs in 24 months with minimal (like, not really very much at all) exercise. When I add exercise, the pounds drop off twice as fast. This "diet" makes it easy to keep it off because it gradually changes your thinking about food and helps you understand diabetes a lot more.
on February 15, 2014
If you have trouble stabilizing your blood sugar, read this book.
If you are tired of diet hopping and starving, read this book.

If you are a real human who errs on the side of excess, buy this book, read this book, purge your kitchen of tempting and delicious poison (disguised as FDA approved food source). Make a commitment to two weeks of your life, buy these suggested foods and be AMAZED. You will NOT be hungry and within this two week period you will stabilize your blood sugar. PERIOD.

Keep this book forever and if all you ever do is return to Step One, it could and will probably save your life.

If you love anybody you will buy this book as a Christmas or Birthday gift. And not only for overweight folks; sugar addicts, people who may think Alcohol is a food group, and fast food sinners can all find Pancreatic Redemption with the South Beach diet.
on April 23, 2017
I have found that any diet I follow has to be one I can integrate into my day-to-day lifestyle and meal plans. I cook from this book for my family for dinner so I can have satisfying meals for my own weight loss and cook healthy for the rest of the family. This cookbook allows me to do as much of my own meal prep as I can, and that keeps us away from processed or fast foods.