Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 61 reviews
on February 4, 2014
This book is essentially a sequel to An Embarrassment of Mangoes. The author and her husband return to sailing around the Caribbean. The book revolves around their travels to various islands. It contains witty and funny stories about the people they encounter, the differences of the islands, and most of all the food. The writing reveal a deep longing and fondness for the experience they had. The recipes are delicious and, if you cook them while reading the book, more deeply connect you to the experiences and people described.

It is not quite as good as the original, partly because it is missing the subtext of the original departure from their busy lives, the authentic conflict of learning to live on a boat, and the newness of visiting the places that Embarrassment of Mangoes presented us with; however it does contain more deep character development, more detailed descriptions of places, and is eloquently told. If you like the escape of An Embarrassment of Mangoes then this is a good choice. If you haven't read it, read it first.
on July 12, 2016
I wish they talked more about the boat and voyage just as much as the food. I love the descriptions of the cooking and spices and perrpers of the islands. I think they could have squeezed a small page before each country about the summary of the voyage and conditions in between. The authur(s) cultural idiosyncrasies are amusing and apparently proper polite Canadian dialects. The dialect adds to the clear picture of polite Canadians in unique cultural situations. Pretty entertaining.
on January 13, 2011
I have really enjoyed the book. Here first books was a very entertaining read about their travels in the caribbean. This books takes un into the kitchens of the people they met. Vanderhoof has taken the time to get to know the people in her travels. They have shared with her how they create those dishes. My wife and I have traveled the caribbean for the past 10 years but we have never been in one place more than a week to get to know the people to the same depth that Vanderhoof has. She recreates those recipes which I have tried and found to be very good. I'm currently making the pepper rum from the recipe in this book and am excited to try it. I love the culture, food, rum, and people of the caribbean. The food and flavors of the caribbean are rich and spicy. Vanderhoof takes the time to show where some of the flavors have originated from. Then those flavors are infused into there own national dishes. Vanderhoof gives people an insight into those cultures through food. I have thoroughly enjoyed the book.
on January 7, 2014
This is a good mixture of human nature, customs, cultures and of course, food! I am not one that can sit down and read a cookbook but give me a story with the food and I am very satisfied. I have thoroughly enjoyed the travels and knowledge that are included in this book! I plan on revisiting several of the recipes that are included and I now have a few more islands on the bucket list to explore!
on January 12, 2017
Bought this for my mom to read while she was on vacation in Grenada and she said it was wonderful.
on April 11, 2013
I loved, Loved, LOVED An Embarrassment of Mangoes, and waiting impatiently for another wonderful Journey with Ann and Steve. However this one left me a bit cold. It just didn't seem to have either the passion or the heart of the other book, and often seemed disjointed. Maybe I wanted more of the sailing life, and this one is definitely more the eating life. While her food descriptions and recipes remain top-notch, I guess I was looking for more stories and relationships.
on September 24, 2012
This is the second part of a memoir about a Canadian couple's solo journey through the Caribbean on a small sailboat. Both are "foodies," and each chapter ends with a recipe using seasoning and ingredients native to the island they're visiting -- moreover, the "flavor" of the islands permeates the story as well as the food. The first volume, "An Embarrassment of Mangos," is the more adventurous story -- because they were such novices (such uptight novices) that it's easy to relate to two people on a 42-foot boat who see the dentist and the lawyer (to write their wills)before leaving Ontario.
on February 8, 2016
It's snowing here, but we have tried several of the recipes as we prepare to move aboard our boat and head south. The people, the places, the tastes -- all are vividly presented. Cannot wait for our own adventure to begin so we can savor some of the more exotic tastes of the Islands.
on August 20, 2011
I fell in love with Ann and Receta and her extended family across the many islands she and her husband travel to in her first book, "An Embarrassment of Mangoes." The second book, "The Spice Neckace" is equally as wonderful - it really is. If you love the exploration of culture, people, indigenous food and cooking - you will ADORE this book! It's worth buying it in paperback because you will want to keep it and read it again. The author also has a blog about her life currently, which is another testament to the sincerity with which she writes, shares her story and those of the people she has fallen in love with in her travels, including her sailboat.

Great book!!!
on March 4, 2014
I loved hearing Ann Vanderhoof's stories about her travels, but her recipes are the best. I made 7 recipes for my friends for a wintertime reminder of sun, and they loved it. I've tried even more recipes since then, and I highly recommend them. The recipes are written clearly and well, with suggestions for substitutions for hard-to-find ingredients.