Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Garth Brooks STEM Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on October 12, 2011
I had initially received this book as a gift and at first was intrigued and then pleasantly surprised after reading just one chapter! I could not wait to purchase another to share as a gift. Each author has a unique perspective of food and our relation to it and to God. I LOVE THE RECIPES TOO!
on January 18, 2014
As one who is trying to change her attitude towards food I found this book to be just the thing! Each writer brought something different to the table and I loved all the variety.
on December 15, 2013
Anyone who understands the deep spirituality of food would appreciate this book. Some truly beautiful essays well compiled and edited by veteran write Leyland Fields.
on October 21, 2015
Excellent condition
on December 19, 2010
Rich and diverse in ideas about food and it's place in our spiritual journeys. We discussed it in a reading group. Then I purchased copies as Christmas gifts for my foodie friends. A treasured find.
on May 15, 2011
I actually feel so disappointed that I've come to the end of this book! A collection of beautiful essays on fasting and feasting, "The Spirit of Food" is an absolute pleasure to read. Each essayist brings a little something to the table (pun intended), whether it be the pleasures of eating good food, the significance of food and family, the moral and ethical issues surrounding food production, and even the hurts that food, or the lack thereof, can bring.

For people who love getting dirty in the kitchen, feeling and smelling both the tang and sweetness of fresh ingredients, as well as the creamy, buttery goodness of soul food ingredients, nearly every essayist includes a personal recipe. These recipes are simple, yet emotionally significant, and invite the reader to be physically and spiritually involved in the essayists' stories. But, this is not simply a cookbook, but rather a book that embraces and explores the relationship between food, people, and God, and how physical nourishment is so often spiritual nourishment as well.

I absolutely loved this book. It is one of the most unique and spiritual books I have ever read, and one of the most pleasurable. It was a feast for the senses and for the heart, and really fed my spirituality, particularly during the season of Lent. Those who have a deep passion for the beauty of liturgy, as well as for those who lean more toward the Evangelical, contemporary style of worship, will enjoy this book. Simply put, "The Spirit of Food" will provide edification and spiritual nourishment for any reader who wants "Thanksgiving" to be a daily occurrence. I would recommend this book to absolutely anyone.

Please note that I was generously provided with a review copy of "The Spirit of Food" free of charge from Wipf and Stock Publishers in exchange for my honest review. The opinions stated in this review are my own. I was not required to provide a positive review.
on September 21, 2010
There is an irony in writing a online review for a book about life that is located and physical. That noted, the Spirit of Food will be one of the best reads on my list this year. The book itself was a feast; chapter after chapter of poetic yet accessible writings reminding me that being present physically in the everyday is a spiritual act. The book is at once joyful and somber; a wonderful reflection on rooted living and work. I'd recommend it to those who like Wendell Berry and Michael Pollan, vegetable gardening and farmers markets, as well as those who like Phillip Yancy and Donald Miller, church potlucks and Wednesday night Bible study.
When I was given the opportunity to read The Spirit of Food 34 Writers on Feasting and Fasting Toward God by the editor Leslie Leyland Fields, I could almost feel my spirit began to salivate.

The back cover tempts with its description of the book:

"You are invited to a feast for the senses and the spirit! Thirty-four renowned and adventurous writers open their fields, their kitchens, their tables, and their recipe files to illustrate the many unexpected ways that food draws us closer to beauty, to justice, to Christian community, and to God."

If you ever doubted that words could be crafted to be chewed on and savoured, you haven't encountered this series of essays. I found myself lost in the pages, unable to push away from the table. "I'll just take one more bite" I would tell myself, diving in again.

Here, in stories of shopping, cooking and eating, we find ways to love our God, each other, and our selves in deeper measure. We partake not only of calories but true life. We discover fresh revelation about the Lord like tasting a new and unsual spice that bursts on the tongue. In stories of communion I found a desire for more of what only He can provide, the bread we so desperately need.

Are you hungry? As you enter into the tales told in this volume, you will find your appetite both slaked and stimulated. I pray, that like me, you also enjoy each tasty morsel.

I was provided a free copy of this book by the editor. The opinons I have expressed are my own.
on May 14, 2017
This book may be subject to both trademark and copyright infringements. Our company trademarked a logo with this name in 1998, owned a domain of the same name in 2001, and published an online newsletter of the same name, published in a local newspaper under the title of The Spirit of Food, and continue to do business and own the same domain since 1998. We are attempting for the third time to notify the author, Leslie Leyland Fields, of the potential infrigments based on legal documents including a notarized document, a trademark, and multiple copies of newspaper articles and online newsletters on file. Ms. Fields may want to consider this again as well as her publisher.
on December 10, 2010
The Spirit of Food is a marvelous book. The depth and breath of this anthology is powerful, but in a manner that inspires you without bogging you down. I've found it much more manageable and accessible than other nonfiction pieces because each of the essays is brief yet poignant. It's like a tasty and fulfilling little snack.

Since reading from The Spirit of Food I've felt a new connection with my plate, supermarket and kitchen. This book is steeped is smells, textures and stories; I long to visit these farms, markets and tables! It's good to be stopped sometimes and reminded of the significance and vitality of a ritual we can mundanely gloss over 3 times a day. We eat! What a beautiful privilege God has given us and how much more there is to learn from it than we often realize. This book has encouraged me to be increasingly present and aware in the practice of eating, retrieving and preparing food.

I highly recommend The Spirit of Food. It will be a Christmas gift for several cooks on my list and the beauty of it is that it's not just a book for foodies.