Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 736 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 857 reviews
on August 27, 2016
Great book! I've lost 75 pounds in less than a year on this way of eating! I just got rid of the oil when my weight loss slowed down! My type 2 diabetes is under control with 10u of Lantus insulin, BP is now 117/76 from 132/86, my eyesight has improved dramatically and had to get new glasses. My inflammatory arthritis has improved to where I no longer need Hydrocodone for the pain, just 1 aspirin twice a day. My chronic headaches have disappeared and I'm off all medications and vitamins which saves me hundreds of dollars each month!

I have followed a Whole foods, plant based, no oil diet and have NEVER been hungry or left the table unsatisfied. I have followed the outlines of Dr. McDougall's way of eating and will never again follow the Standard American Diet that promoted the illnesses in me. Thank you, Dr. McDougall for leading me in the right direction after so many years of yo-yo dieting! I am well on my way to health, by following your simple guidelines!
review image
99 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2016
If you are on any medications for chronic conditions, I think you should read Dr. Michael Greger's book "How Not to Die."
Even if you are not on medications, read Dr. Greger's book.

For the simplest blueprint of a solid shot at reaching age 95, I think you should read Dr. John McDougall's book "The Starch Solution." The blueprint is as follows: eliminate meat, dairy, eggs and separated oils, eat all you want of the satiating complex-starch-centered foods (always prepared without separated oils). This is an excellent level of achievement for the masses that removes the killers and satisfies your appetite.

If you want to zoom past age 95 and shoot for age 115, then you're going to have to intelligently diversify your plant diet and embrace the micronutrient fine tuning of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live." Dr. Fuhrman is right on. Here again, you'll also reference Dr. Greger's book all the way. Both have a key daily list.

Bring it all together by frequently visiting Dr. Greger's website. Dr. Greger scours the tens of thousands of annual journal articles on health and nutrition and keeps us fully up to date. Dr. Greger practices solid first-principle, fact-based logic of the type normally seen in physicists more than in physicians. Dr. Greger is smart and never fooled by poorly designed cohort studies and the red herrings of others' bad assumptions. Dr. Greger presents topical summaries in short videos that are rich in information and delivered often with classic humor.

I suspect if we applied these dietary principles to our children from birth, then they'll have a legitimate shot at living to 145.

I personally see Dr. McDougall's book as "what not to eat" supported with the easiest version of "eat this instead." I think of his message as the coarse-tuning knob on an analog radio. Honestly, most people will only accept the coarse adjustment, thus making Dr. McDougall's contribution valuable for the masses. He seems to think about things from a societal-success level and his starch emphasis is good for the dietary success of the group.

However, if you want more than just what works well for the masses, if you really want to master nutritional dietary success, then, in my opinion, I suggest one think of Drs. Greger's and Fuhrman's input as the fine-tuned guidance (a little more attention to leafy greens, cruciferous veg, berries, other fruit, etc), like the fine-tuning knob on the analog radio.

Dr. McDougall will get you out of disease and to the comparative-health olympics; Drs. Fuhrman and Greger will put you on the medals podium at those olympics.

Some authors in this field present strong counsel against supplements. Still, all agree on B-12 and ground flax seed (for omega-3). However, I think Dr. Greger presents the most well-thought case on D-3. I strongly appreciate dietary and health logic that reaches deeper in time all the way back to my evolutionary, metabolic ancestors. Yes, we developed higher amylase production over time and became very starchivore-leaning; however, the foundation of our metabolism still seems solidly to be that of Vitamin-C-needing frugivores, best served by D-3 production at Equatorial Africa levels.

I think it is most accurate to say that we are true Frugivore-Starchivore Hybrids. Some authors may focus more on the Starchivore side of us. Other authors may focus more on the Frugivore side of us. Neither point of view is wrong. We’re just hybrids.

If I had to name names, I’d say Dr. McDougall is Starchivore-oriented, Dr. Fuhrman is Frugivore-oriented, Dr. Greger is hitting that Hybrid sweet spot, and all three authors and all three books mentioned here present an excellent overall collection of information that helps any interested reader find their own particular version of the Hybrid sweet spot that works best for them.

The Longevity Path then…
1. Eliminate the known killers ('cause they're killing you.)
2. Lean on the Starchivore side of your metabolic heritage and enjoy all those satisfying starches while reminding your taste buds and body that you actually do, in fact, quite enjoy eating plants!
3. And, for that fraction of you with the extra measure of desire for excellence, move deeper into your Frugivore roots by intelligently fine-tuning your nutrient supply and efficiency.

Finally, big kudos to Drs. T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, and Neal Barnard among many others for their equally excellent books and leadership in this field.
22 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2016
I had rheumatoid arthritis and was struggling so badly that I had to quit my job. I found The Starch Solution and e-mailed Dr. McDougall asking for his advice. He wrote me back within hours and suggested that I follow his diet (plant-based, whole foods, low fat) as well as avoid gluten and soy. Within 1 week of being on the diet, I was in complete remission. My joints were no longer swollen and I was able to go off the medications that I had been on for her 8 years. It's now almost 3 years later and I feel amazing. I know it won't be a miracle cure for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try. It changed my life! Here's my story: [...]
on August 2, 2016
Over 1 year ago, I started a regular exercise routine because I was tired of being overweight. After months and months, I lost weight, but still couldn't lose the weight I wanted and STILL felt drained and lethargic throughout the day. I tried modifying my diet and that didn't work. I've tried the Atkins Diet and that was an absolute mess. I felt horrible every day and could barely sleep. One day, my brother linked me to a Ted Talk with Dr McDougall and I heard about the McDougall diet and since I had tried everything, I figured I might as well buy this book and give it a try. After 1-2 weeks, my health drastically improve and I started losing weight like I've never lost before. I now look and feel better than I've ever felt in my life. This diet is hard to adjust to at first, but once you begin, you will have a VERY hard time going back. Whoever knew that rice, potatoes, and beans, the absolute most affordable grocery items were the key to good health? I shake my head at the big corporations trying to lie their way into more profits at the expense of our health.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2016
If you want to look and feel your best and get rid of your chronic diease, this is your book/Doctor!!!
review image
on November 17, 2016
I just made tofu tacos.....amazing. Eating this way has not only made the pounds fall off, I have more energy and I sleep better at night. I have always been a starchaholic but eating them wrong, if at all. Over the years, all 55 of them, I have gradually added some extra pounds, I can't fall asleep or stay asleep at night, come 3pm I need a nap, and my cholesterol is very high. Today, only about 6 weeks since I began eating this way I am 20lbs lighter, I have tons of energy and I can sleep through the night without any help. WOOHOO! Thank Dr. McDougall! Where have you been all my life?!?!?!?
on September 27, 2015
I am a 61 year old female. I have lost 25 lbs. in about 2 months following Dr. McDougall's Starch Solution. In my opinion, the Starch Solution is saving my life. Within 3 weeks of starting this new lifestyle, my blood pressure went from being borderline high to well within the normal range. Another thing that I noticed was that I wasn't out of breath after climbing a flight of stairs. As the days and weeks passed, I began parking further out in the lot at the store, and trying to fit extra steps into my day without actually "exercising". I actually believe that I'm thinking clearer. Will everyone like this book? Perhaps not.....(but they should). I am one of those people who has had a struggle with excess weight over the years and could not figure out why. I even tried a vegan diet. I used to say that I was the only "fat vegan" on the planet. I counted points with Weight Watchers.....I followed a food pyramid diet with TOPS......I tried Paleo.....Somersize.....Atkins....and the list goes on. Why couldn't I lose ???!!! I had just about given up when I found Dr. McDougall on PBS. I listened to him, decided to buy the book here on Amazon and give it a try. I actually laughed when I talked to my daughter about it. I said, "This guy says I can eat POTATOES!!!" (I am one of those folks who was educated to believe that potatoes in all forms, and starch were the enemy of the serious dieter). Imagine my surprise at the end of week one when I checked the scales and found that I had lost 4 lbs. I wasn't hungry....my cravings had stopped.....and I had lost 4 LBS!!!!! From then on, I have been hooked. Now, I am a healthy starch based vegan. I no longer miss dairy. And I only use processed vegan cheese on occasion. I am so grateful for the weight loss so far that I choose to follow Dr. McDougall's instructions for maximum weight loss to the letter. I have not been disappointed....and neither will you. I wish I could give Dr. McDougall and his Starch Solution 100 stars.....but even that would not be enough. If you are serious about reclaiming your health and losing that "spare tire" (or two) around your waist; and if you are willing to commit to 21 days to prove that the Starch Solution actually works, you won't be disappointed.
on November 8, 2014
You wouldn't think that this makes sense because we have been told the opposite all our lives. But it is the truth! I am healthier, happier and I am losing weight. I sleep better, the fog in my head is gone my energy level has improved and I no longer have indigestion issues or stomach pains. You start seeing result within the first week!
Also showed this to my father in law who was diagnosed with Graves Disease. Within four months of changing the way he eats to The Starch Solution way, he has put his disease in remission and is off all his medications! If you know anything about Graves Disease then you know that is a MAJOR accomplishment!
on April 10, 2016
This is a very informative book and I have changed my diet since reading it. I have been a vegan since 2005 but I was an unhealthy vegan because I wasn't eating a lot of fruits and vegetables or whole grains, potatoes and legumes. I was eating a lot of vegetable oils in fake dairy products, spaghetti and enchilada sauces, and refried beans. I was also eating a lot of sweets, cold cereals and pasta made with refined flour. This book has opened my eyes. I was also struggling with pre-diabetes and was trying to cut carbs to lower my insulin levels. That wasn't working. Once I cut out the oils in my diet and started eating the starches that he recommends, my insulin levels returned to normal. I am hoping that this diet will help me with my other medical issues as well. I have purchased all of the their books and visit the website frequently.
on December 6, 2016
This book is chock full of great information. I have lost 32 lbs in 10 weeks, lowered my blood pressure, reversed my diabetes, stabilized my kidney function and fatty liver.
I highly recommend everything from Dr. McDougall.