Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Story of the Nutcracker Ballet (Pictureback(R))
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 30, 2005
Although many versions of the ballet call the girl Clara, she is called Marie Stahlbaum in the original E.T.A. Hoffmann story and in some versions of the ballet. This retelling is lovely. The name "Marie" is not incorrect; it just refers back to an earlier version of the story.
on November 8, 2006
I was in first grade in the late 80's and we were doing a unit on the nutcracker. We went to go see the play and did a lot of music, art and english activities related to it. I was enjoying it so much that my mom bought me a copy of this book, same cover and all. I really loved the illustrations in it, from the christmas decorations to the land of sweets to all the snow. I've misplaced my copy but if I ever do find it it's a keeper!
on November 26, 2003
In reference to the next review, Marie and Clara are not the same character. Marie is the little girl, and Clara is her doll.
on December 20, 2010
Perfect for my 4 year old to get ready to go see the ballet - she knew the whole story at the ballet!
on April 8, 2014
I use this book for my students in the years that we take a field trip to see the Nutcracker Ballet. It tells the story and also is part of the Reading Renaissance program in that students in our district can take a test on the book after they have read it and get points for it. Anytime we read a book on a subject, I make it an AR book as students are supposed to have a certain number of points for each 9 week period of time. This book fits the bill!
on January 26, 2016
This is a fine book for following the basic Nutcracker story. I would say it is geared for small children, but anyone who wants to know the story can enjoy it. The illustrations are also sweet. For the price this is quite all right. It is more like a big booklet than an actual book, and I am sure there are more elaborate versions out there. You can also read the story on Wikipedia or at the web sites of many ballet companies. If you want a book this is not a bad option.
on March 3, 2013
My great nephew was entranced with a live production of this ballent, and I bought this book and a cd of the musical score for him to extend his pleasure. He absolutely loves to listen to the music while looking at the illustrations, and asks to bring the book and the music along on car rides. Children who can read at a third or fourth grade level should be able to read the text independently. The illustrations are a colorful reminder of the costumes and choreography.
on December 21, 2014
My kids love this book. The story is age-appropriate for them (3 & 5) so I can't complain. The illustrations are alright. They are not terribly beautiful and some of the facial features are kind of ugly/creepy, but they are colorful and fairly engaging.

My main problem with this version of this classic story is that I just don't feel that it is very well-written. Some of the sentences are awkwardly constructed and do not flow well when read aloud. Example: "Then Drosselmeir got out from under the tree his gift for Marie and gave it to her." Now this sentence is grammatically correct. But in order to avoid splitting her infinitives, the author has sacrificed elegance and word flow. It is a difficult choice, but with a book that is meant to be read aloud to children, readability should have a fairly high priority. Besides, there is a simple fix to this problem: "Then Drosselmeir got his gift for Marie, which lay underneath the tree, and gave it to her." Another example: "The snowflakes tasted like sugar; exquisite little snow fairies danced all around them, beckoning them on." So maybe I'm just nitpicking in this case, but the oversight here is still irksome because it is misleading to the reader. Again, this sentence is technically grammatically correct: two complete thoughts are separated by a semi-colon. But there isn't any reason they should be because the two thoughts aren't really connected in any substantive way. When you read the first thought, "The snowflakes tasted like sugar" and you see the semi-colon coming, you have the natural expectation that the second thought is somehow going to elaborate on, or reflect back on, the snowflakes which taste like sugar. But it doesn't. The second thought is about snow fairies dancing and beckoning. The simplest course of action would be to make these two separate sentences, so the author's choice of a semi-colon is bizarre and complicates both thoughts unnecessarily. Finally, I just think the sentences in general are over-long and complex for a read-aloud book. "Then she clapped her hands, and little angels with golden wings and halos took their places for the fairies' dance honoring the homecoming of the little prince." A good number of the book's sentences are of this complex variety. These sentences can easily be simplified by breaking them into two, smaller, more read-aloud friendly sentences: "Then she clapped her hands and little angels with golden wings and halos appeared. They took their places for the fairies' dance honoring the homecoming of the little prince." It is curious that the author consistently chose a more complex sentence structure, given her target audience. My guess is that although the story itself is appropriate for the 3-8 set, the actual reading level of the book is probably 3rd grade.

I'm really glad my kids like it. And it did fulfill its purpose, which was simply to introduce them to a classic story that I loved as a child and love now as an adult. It also gives them a grasp of the general plot prior to going to the ballet. But I will be searching for another, more readable version. Preferably with better artwork.
on December 25, 2013
Great short version of The Nutcracker. Gives a child the idea of the story before seeing the Nutcracker on stage. This is not the entire original version but keeps the attention of a child 4 and younger.
on December 4, 2012
I wanted my niece to know about the Nutcracker Ballet and this was an excellent choice. She speaks mostly Spanish, so this was for her to learn about the Ballet and reading English.