Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 295 reviews
on April 21, 2014
I have done many diets over the years and the only one that worked for a while was weight watchers. I started into menopause last year and started gaining weight and nothing I did was working, even weight watchers. I bought this book and am so happy I did. I bought it about 2 months ago and have lost 13 lbs. The last time I measured I also lost 9 inches, but I think I've lost more because my clothes are fitting so much better. I have also been doing Zumba twice a week and doing weights in the morning 2-3 times a week. I have never been able to just diet and lose weight. I have always had to use exercise also. In the last year I have exercised and dieted, but with no success until I read this book. The recipes are great! My husband has even tried a few of them and makes the Sugar Smart Energy Bars for me each week that I eat as my afternoon snack. My favorite recipes are from the first couple weeks....the two salads and the potato/chicken sausage dish. I am now very conscious of how much sugar is in my food and have lowered the amount of sugar in my coffee and am still satisfied. I am going to continue to eat the Sugar Smart way as I continue to see results. I would absolutely recommend this, especially to someone that has gained weight during menopause and has tried everything and has thought about giving up. Don't give up....try this new way of eating. It may work for you too!
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2014
I was amazed as well as appalled by all the sugar that we take in on a regular basis and don't even know it. Sugar really is hidden in almost every product that is processed or manufactured. Luckily I had already given up most gluten products, so doing the Sugar Smart plan hasn't been that much of a jolt to my way of eating. However, after not having any fruit for a week, the first bite I had of an apple was really sweet! I feel I now have control over what sugar I'm putting in my body. Keeping my added sugar intake to less than 22 grams will be very doable.
on August 12, 2016
Americans eat too much sugar! I eat too much sugar. Author Anne Alexander examines this alarming epidemic and outlines a 32-day to help individuals kick the sugar addiction. She is informative and writes in a very personable style. I am going to explore this Sugar Smart Diet and see what life changes, if any, it helps me attain.
on May 14, 2014
This is the way a diet should be. Use foods closest to the earth and not processed. You can have it all, still. You just need to go through a week of no added sugars. After that, the cravings are diminished and you can start adding in all the things you had to take out...just not as much. Teaches you to eat cleaner foods to become healthier. Everything is calculated for you. You just pick your meals from lists and make the recipes provided. Or, there are options for eating out. Very easy and doable.
on January 15, 2014
I was excited to get this book since it's been advertised many times in Prevention magazine and the writer is editor for them. The book does provide a lot of information and facts about all of the hidden sugars in foods which I found very eye-opening. I wish they would of had a more structured way to lay out the days of the modified eating plan and what you should eat those days. I'm still working my way through the book and it kind of lost me with some of the long explanations and success stories. Overall it's a decent book and if you want to learn more about all of the hidden sugars in foods, it's worth the read.
on May 25, 2014
The underlying idea presented here is very good - too much sugar in the American diet, and it's hidden in places you might not even realize. The notion of a short, gradual step down, followed by a "sugar fast," a reintroduction of "good" sugars," and then overall balancing the occasional treat - truly a treat - with healthy, low sugar dieting - is really good, sensible, and while it totally freaks me out as a sugar addict, this is exactly what I need.

However.

It's as if the author knew that truly, all of this could have been explained in a Prevention magazine article, therefore, it was wrapped up in lots, and lots, and lots, and lots, (and lots), of often meaningless words. I consider myself a relatively intelligent woman. I'm college educated and successful enough in my chosen field. Like Stuart Smalley before me, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me. Yet I found myself often outright confused by some of this, because the author seemed to be trying to make the simple more complicated.

Look, I would still recommend this book to a friend. I'm half way through phase 1, the sugar-free phase, and though I could potentially murder someone for looking at me the wrong way, I can tell this is the right decision I've made. I will end where I began - if you can get past some poor editing (ironic from an editor) and needless wordiness, there is some really sound advice here.
on May 3, 2014
For me, the most important focus was on the addiction part of it, and having to deal with it. You can stay away from the liquor store and the casino, you can't stay away from food the its sugar content. Dealt with all aspects of sugar: physical addiction, emotional addiction, healthy eating. Downside: For those who don't like vinegar, get out the Truvia. Editing was worst I have seen. Didn't transfer well to Kindle; I ended up outlining the book. Agree with person who said to purchase it in hard copy, for the recipes alone.
on February 17, 2014
I have been addicted to sugar my entire life. But reading this book and following the plan has broken sugar's hold on me.
on June 29, 2014
Great book, very helpful in explaining the "why" in everything. It truly clears up your belly fat and made our mental clarity higher. It is amazing how much you are affected by extra sugar in your system. The muffin top was reduced in 4 days, 3 weeks in and the weight has stayed off. Hang in there the first few days 6-10, IT'S WORTH IT!!
on May 19, 2014
Don't buy it on your Kindle. It would be much more practical & easier to reference in a hard copy. It does have very interesting information about our food culture in regard to processed grains & addition of hidden sugars to our foods. I thought it spent too much time on the psychology of dieting but it did help me target my "sugar triggers" & deal with them. There are a lot of recipes. I have only tried a couple, but will utilize more as I go. I haven't compared this book to others on the market & would be interested in feedback from others with more experience.