Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on December 15, 2011
I love character-driven fiction, and you could hardly find more unique and quirky characters than the ones in this novel - a homophobe who does sexual favors for men to drive his addiction? a black college professor who is also a hitman for the mafia? JUST WOW - Andy is a Character MASTER. This fast paced novel knocks you out with a sucker punch right from the beginning. I will warn those with delecate sensibilities that this is a "R" rated movie - The book deals with the depravity of mankind so there is a smattering of profanity on every page and there are are strong suggestions of sexual content, but not explicit. The book had me laughing out loud with it's incredibly ironic situations. A definite page turner.
on February 6, 2013
It's hard for a story to get a verbal reaction from me. This one had no problem getting me to say "NO!" and "WTH!" and "SERIOUSLY!" and "OH WOW!". Yeah, it is a serious shocker right from the beginning. It was a well written, well connected, and a well thought out story. If this author was trying for the outrageous pulp fiction, he accomplished it with The Suicide Game.

I appreciate the forethought and planning it went into this story, and I thought Andy Rausch was brilliant in this craft. The story is centered around an African American hit man who works for the mob in California. Every single character is connected to him directly or indirectly, whether they know it or not, and it makes for a very lively read. There are a lot of bad people in this story, but that's what makes it so interesting. You won't have to worry about paint drying type of reading in this one.

I recommend this book for those who are looking for the crazy, outrageous, shocking, and brilliant type of read. But I will say this if you read this review and decide to read this book, you have to read expecting anything to happen...and I mean anything.
on September 12, 2011
I read Andy Rausch's book while flying over the last week. I can say that this book made the flight enjoyable to the point that I was excited to fly to continue reading the book. I would describe the plot twists as intriguing as this book makes you run the full gauntlet of emotions from laughing out loud to being shocked to sadness. I truly enjoyed this read. If Mr. Rausch can continue to write books like this, not only will I continue reading them but I forsee big things for him. I look forward to reading his next novel. Today, I became a fan of Andy Rausch.
on May 11, 2012
I could very well picture Quentin Tarantino turning this book into a movie! It's THAT good, and that quirky and that eccentric and that mind-tickling! Seriously! And it was quirky in that Pulp Fiction kind of way. I was very impressed with the character development, the twists and turns, the way the different characters intermingled inadvertently with others in the book. That's what I mean by "mind-tickling".

It was definitely hard to put down! I stayed up past midnight last night reading to the end, even though I had to get up at 6am for work today.

I really just can't say enough about this book. I think I may just read it again! I'm also going to look for other titles by Andy Rausch, and if he's a newbie ... well, all I can say is he really hit it out of the park! I think I only found one or two typos, and I am the Grammar Police, especially when it comes to books. lol

I often live by the phrase, "you get what you pay for" but I received this book on a freebie promo, and I'd easily be willing to pay normal e-book price for it. This was a treasure for sure.
on April 14, 2013
This was a great read. Like other reviewers, I believe the title was only part of the story. The book is more about karma. In other words, what goes around comes around, life hands you limes...forget limeade get the tequila. I loved the interwoven relationships of the characters. It is dark humor and an enjoyable read. OK, now for the potential SPOILER: The suicide game was never finished. We do not know what happened to the other 3 characters that entered into the game nor their targets. This is the main reason for objecting to the title.

I would definitely recommend this book and look forward to reading more from this author.
on August 8, 2012
This book has very interesting side stories to help develop the characters. The main story follows the protagonist - a University professor / contracted hit man for the mafia. As the story goes on you start to see the relationships between each of characters and how they fit in to the story.

The first chapter drew me in and had me laughing out loud and gasping in shock. This sets the scene for what type of book this is - wacky. The wackiness of this book gives it that oomph! I found some parts disturbing, mainly because of the rational of the characters.

I think if this book was more complex and developed it would have made it extremely good, but a few stories were picked up then dropped and characters were just forgotten.

I would recommend reading it with an open mind and you will enjoy it!
on July 7, 2013
Suicide Game is professional and fast-paced but it lacks heart and fully realized characters. It feels like a treatment for a Quentin Tarantino movie. I kept reading to find out how it would all play out, but it was curiosity, not investment, that drove me to read on. I'm not one of those readers who need to love the characters, but these were all loathsome. Each and every one was awful. The men were two dimensional, at best, and the women were mere outlines of people -- the kind of sketches that need actors to fill in the rest of the persona. That being said, I kept reading and wanted to know what Rausch would do with this motley crew of unhappy, unlikeable, violent paper dolls. I'm conflicted about this one.
on July 10, 2013
Here's a book that had me hooked with the ending of chapter one. Possible spoilers below...beware. The thing that gets me the most about this book is the title and description. I expected a story with the rich kids torturing their marks closer to suicide. However, it felt as though there is only one little chapter on the subject. Everything else is killers and how they are connected and that is it. It was interesting how all the characters are linked together in one way or another. I did notice too for this only being 200+ pages and should have read fast, it reads very slowly. It felt like after I'd been reading for an hour I should have been much farther along than say 20 pages, I usually read really fast.
on December 26, 2012
"The Suicide Game" is an extremely engrossing, multi-character piece. As Pulp, it exceeded my expectations. Rausch is ultra-talented with dialogue and characters. I really got to know, feel for, root for and despise all the players in this book. Rausch also did a great job of hooking me to the story from the beginning and kept me turning the pages. He came up with some truly bizarre and sometimes tragically ironic situations that kept me thinking about the story after I read it. This is the mark of an author who's work I can easily become a fan of. Highly recommended and you can't go wrong for the price.
on February 18, 2013
SPOILER ALERT

The description only applies to the first quarter of the book. After that, when what appears to be a "main character" (if you believe the description) gets killed and the book takes off in a different direction altogether.

Otherwise, it was a decent read in the "Pulp Fiction" style aka the stories are disjointed but the characters run into each other at different turns. The author is a good writer and I hope his style and talent evolves. I'd definitely check out another one of his books.