Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 246 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 386 reviews
on March 31, 2017
The wonderful acting in this movie, from Denzel especially, leads me to watch it again and again. Denzel has mastered the art of playing a regular guy, and his changing expressions are a joy to watch. The plot is different fare from the usual action movie, and is compelling to watch. John Travolta is the bad guy here; I took away one star for the filthy expressions he uses. For me, this movie is Denzel all the way. The story is a good one, which finds Denzel in the hot spot as he tries to manage a psychotic killer while balancing the needs of his employer This gets harder and harder as Denzel is revealed to be accused of taking a bribe, while Travolta's character keeps screaming that he is going to kill a hostage. Great cast or recognizable faces. Watch this one, you will be entertained.
on November 2, 2016
Great Movie. Denzel Washington and John Travolta . John Travolta does excellent job as the Criminal. Denzel Washington as the negotiater. Great Fast pace movie. Get the movie you will love it. Tony Scott director and Producer.He made other great movies with Denzel Washington in like The movie man on Fire, Dejavu and Unstoppable and many more with Denzel Washington. Every Denzel Washington movie is great need I say more.
on April 8, 2017
A great remake of the original. Often remakes do a disservice to the original movie, this movie stands on its own without any reference to the original.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 18, 2010
I heard a lot of bad things going into this one - I didn't think too much into them because it looked like a "stupid" (enjoyable) action movie, and I know a lot of people don't like Tony Scott or Travolta - being someone who likes both, it seemed like it a fun movie!

Unfortunately, it was filled with disappointment. Not a horrible movie by any means, but if you watch the trailer you'll think of it as a fast-paced action movie with some bits of comedy and thriller mixed in. The action movie, however, is rarely like this - almost every bit of action in the movie is shown in the trailer. The rest are negotiation/discussions between Travolta and Denzel. While both did fine, you never really cared about any of the cast - the good guys, the bad guys or the other guys. The characters were somewhat boring (Travolta seems to be going in the direction of the character he played in From Paris With Love (a great character!) but he just never gets there. Another big disappointment was Luis Guzman - normally hilarious, he has a very small (and non-comedic) role in this one - Seems like a waste!

Being a Tony Scott film it has all sorts of fast-cuts and weird edits/effects. Normally I love these (like in Domino), but this one just uses the SAME effect over and over (whenever theres a helicopter or subway driving by, it cuts to a "stop motion" type effect (slow shutter speed)). Really annoying, really overdone.

The Blu-Ray itself is pretty good though - about an hour worth of documentary/behind the scenes footage (interesting to see how much the NYC MTA helped with the film and gave them access), some of it a bit odder than others (a 6 minute video on the hair stylist?) - it also has 2 commentary tracks. Video is very good (about 4.5 - 5 out of 5 - great especially since this film is mostly filmed in dark tunnels), audio is very good as well. Movie gets about a 3/5, audio/video about a 5/5, extras a 4/5, overall about a 4/5.

If you were hooked by the trailer, just know the movie isn't quite like that. After watching the movie (and being a bit disappointed), I watched the trailer and thought "Wow, That looks like a real good movie!"
on May 19, 2017
I am very happy with these movies. They are interesting and very enjoyable.
on April 30, 2017
Intense movie with Denzel Washington and John Travolta.
on March 8, 2010
Although not a great film by any stretch of the imagination, this remake does have its strong points. Namely, the charisma of its two stars: Denzel Washington and John Travolta. Denzel is always good and immensely watchable. Travolta is perhaps at his most disgusting best. What surprised me most was the relationship between these two characters. Travolta's bad guy seems almost infatuated with Denzel's character, adding that extra unnerving edge as they go about trying to outwit each other. For action fans, there are several edge-of-your-seat scenes that will keep you watching.

The one major drawback for me in this movie was its incessant use of obscenities. I'm not sure what the director and writer were trying to prove by including so much foul language; for me it was a big distraction. Instead of staying strictly involved in the story, I found myself anticipating when the next character was going to mouth a four-letter word. Unfortunately, one never has to wait very long.

Remakes are infamous for not being as good as the original and this one, sadly, is no exception. Still worth a view, however, for the performances of Washington and Travolta.
on November 11, 2009
The movie was great. Lots of fast-paced, Blu-ray worthy action, Washington and Travolta doing fine acting, as usual.
Travolta has become delicious as a villain,(a'la Face-off, Battlefield Earth..), and Washington is convincing as a middle-aged,decent-but-flawed train-boss who stumbled once because he's mortal.
And Gandolfini is just plain fun as the mayor who just wants to retire peacefully....
Kept my attention throughout, even though it was past my bedtime.

HOWEVER-
I want to address Amazon here for just a minute;
If I can buy the movie, BD edition and all, for the same price at W*lmart, THREE DAYS BEFORE IT HITS MY MAILBOX, why does Amazon think I'll be loyal?
Used to be, the item, (DVD, Book, CD), would hit my mailbox on the same day it was released onto the shelves. Kept me from feeling like making the 20 minute trip to the W*lmart.
NO LONGER.
Now Amazon isn't shipping until release day.... or later. So where's the bonus to buying from Amazon?
No money saved, the total price comes out a few cents cheaper at W*lmart,(taxes vs. shipping).
If I pass it on the shelves 3 days before it gets to my mailbox..... well, you get the point.
The trip to the W*lmart starts to look pretty darn worthwhile, especially if it's a film we've been waiting for since it hit the theater.

Wake up Amazon! You're gonna lose us on new releases, if there's nothing to be gained by shopping with you! That Big Smile is starting to sag, just a tad.
VINE VOICEon January 23, 2010
I missed the original make of this film and it's probably for the best. This film was excellent from start to finish. Sure there were a few rough spots but not one worth reducing the rating number. It is difficult discussing a movie without exposing major parts or the plot so I won't. It is just as hard to discuss events in any movie and have to use the old strawman exposé. All weasel words aside. This is an action and drama filled flick with some of the best acting I have seen in some time. I appreciate skilled actors performing their roles to perfection and that is the case here.

One element that would cause me to downgrade this movie is its Blu-ray format. Like anyone else who has a blu-ray player we expect the very best in audio and video coming off the screen and out of the speakers. That is not the case here or at least is not the case with my player for this film. We read that Blu-ray is 6 times better than DVD. I would love to see how that number was derived. It is 6 times better than what? It is not better by any factor for this movie. My other Blu-rays are far better so I am at a lost. I think it could be said that a purchase of this movie in DVD at a cheaper price will yield similar if not identical results. If anyone knows what the difference is I sincerely would like to know. Enjoy!
on May 14, 2017