Bubble Witch Saga 3 BCA Month Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Jessi James decker PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on August 20, 2014
I have read dozens of finance books and this is one of the best. I would put it up there with Automatic Millionaire, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and Pirates of Financial Freedom. It isn't perfect though which I will talk about later.

Who is this book for? Everyone can benefit from it, but it is great for married couples and those in their late 20s, 30s, and early 40s. Young adults could benefit tremendously from it, but I'm worried it might not be exciting or fun enough to hold their attention. It's not really meant for retirees.

--- The Good ---

* He says financial freedom is 80% behavior and 20% knowledge which is so important, and he emphasizes this by pointing out there are a lot of broke finance professors.

* There are many real-life success stories of real people which shows his method works, and they also provide inspiration.

* He lays out his seven Baby Steps and makes them simple to understand. He points out that living right financially is not complicated. It may be difficult, but it's not complicated.

* I really liked the quote, "If you worked for a company called YOU Inc. and you managed money at YOU Inc. the way you manage your own money now, would you fire you?"

* The book includes helpful budget forms and worksheet in the back of the book.

* He isn't all gloom and doom. He wants you to have fun and even approves of buying a $30,000 watch, but only after you reach step seven and can afford it.

--- The Not-So-Good ---

* He doesn't go into a lot of detail on how to increase your income. Dave Ramsey is rich because he is a business owner who can make money from his radio show, books, seminars, programs, etc. It would have been great to get his advice on that, but he probably didn't want to overwhelm the reader with too many topics.

* I feel his previous bad experience with debt (he was over-leveraged with his real estate investments) has made him overly zealous on not having any debt. College loans can be very appropriate for some people, business loans can be great in the right situation, and his statement that you should put money toward paying down debt rather than getting the company 401(k) match seemed too extreme to me.

* The book wasn't super entertaining. I found a few parts to be a little dry and repetitive. While it certainly wasn't boring, I wish more money management books would be like the new personal finance adventure novel, but I guess that isn't this book's purpose. Still, there were a couple parts that made me chuckle and he did have some interesting stories.

* He stressed putting 100% of your investments in stock-related mutual funds. First, I feel ETFs are probably better than mutual funds because they are cheaper and won't underperform the market. Second, recommending a 100% stock portfolio to everyone regardless of age, financial goals, or risk tolerance seems risky to me. Plus you wouldn't experience the diversification benefit of owning non-correlated asset classes.

* He doesn't talk about the benefits of setting S.M.A.R.T. goals or having an accountability partner, which have been shown to greatly help people achieve all kinds of dreams.

--- Conclusion ---

Overall it is a very good book with a lot of good advice and inspirational case studies. You certainly won't regret reading it.
99 comments| 659 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2017
Good book. Life changing! In 4 months, I paid off my car loan, all credit cards and doctor bills!!! About $6,000 total. I increased my credit score to a 747. Started at a 660.
review image
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2016
Practical advice, simply told, on how to get a handle on debt and move towards a solid financial footing, and even eventually to wealth. Excellent reference for young people especially. He has the credentials to back up his advice, but his folksy style makes it an easy read, and he shares lots of inspiring stories of people who got themselves out of financial messes and were really encouraged. You can check out his You Tube videos to get an idea of his approach.
on March 16, 2014
I've read hundreds of books in my 30 years on this planet. Only a few would I describe as truly "life changing." This would be one of them. Dave has a simple approach to money handling that's so simple it may actually be genius. This is not a get-rich-quick philosophy. This is a good decisions = good consequences philosophy.

Dave is a Christian but even if you're not a faith-based person, this is the best book you could ever buy for your money and peace of mind. It's a simple and easy read and a New York Times Bestseller for a reason.

Whenever we have friends getting married, this is the gift we give them. It's much better than a toaster.
on January 6, 2017
My husband and I are newlyweds with 2 child and a heap of debt. This book as been a great learning tool for us to take control of our finances. We have been implementing Dave's steps in the book to financial freedom and we are on our way to achieving our goals!
on September 24, 2017
I listened to this audiobook in a day. It provides a great, do-able structure for financial independence!
on April 16, 2014
I'm in chapter 5 so far and this book is amazing. The author has wisdom that extends beyond how to spend money and is an excellent resource for those in debt. The author lays out the context of the book by exposing myths and ideologies about debt and money and explains what things prevent people from getting debt free. Following his simple steps will be of great benefit to any reader and even if you take something small from this book it will be useful. I'm not as against credit cards as the author because I can manage them well but this book has really told me how to restructure my finances so that I evade common pitfalls that other people fall into. Weather you're head over hills in debt, have a small amount of debt or believe you are financially set, this book is for anyone willing to change their view on their own personal finance.
on September 18, 2017
Easy & interesting read. I am following the plan and will be debt free in a year.
There are 7 steps to follow and it all seems very logical.
on March 24, 2015
This is the second copy of this book that I have purchased. I bought a copy for myself and have been following his system since then. I am a big fan! I learned some new things, the rest was really just a guide and encouragement. There are no "tricks or gimmicks", it's all common sense but it motivates me and gave me a specific game plan to follow. The second copy I purchased was for my baby sister when she turned 18. She wasn't in debt and doesn't need a "total money makeover" but I know that reading it will benefit her and she can maybe learn from others mistakes before making any herself. I have recommended this book to many many people!
on May 14, 2016
Extremely well written for the average person and anyone that is knowledgable about finance. Explains how and why debt occurs while giving the best advice I have ever heard for fixing the problem.Explains the quickest and most attainable way to get out of debt before you tire of trying.Then, gives you a sure way to build wealth.I think the only people who would give him a bad review would be someone is angered that he found a way to get you out of debt by using common sense and Christian values.