Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Truth about Santa Claus: When Your Child Is Ready to Hear . . .
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 10, 1998
Mr. Barrington did an excellent job of helping youngsters to understand who Santa really was. He does this without distracting from the excitement of the season. I especially appreciated the emphasis on the birth of Jesus.
on November 20, 2001
I knew it was time to sit down with my son and tell him that Santa didn't really bring his Christmas presents, but I had no idea how to approach this subject. This book made it very easy for me, all I had to do was read it to him. The story was great, it answered all of my son's questions, and it makes parents look like heros. I'm very glad that my son knows the truth now. The pictures are really nice too.
on December 26, 2008
This book is pretty good to get for when you are ready to approach the subject of whether Santa is real or not with your children. It does mention Jesus and St. Nicholas and the spirit of giving. It is put in a caring, gentle way. I just wish it explained things a little more. The book could easily be a few pages longer, the author could have elaborated more in a few areas. Then again, I know sometimes publishers give a page limit, which is too bad.

My daughter is in third grade and a few kids in class no longer believe in Santa (or tooth fairy, etc.). This actually started in second grade, but has gotten a little more attention this year. Luckily, the majority of kids in class DO still believe, so they outnumber the nay-sayers. But I am willing to bet this was my last Christmas with Santa being "real" in my household. So I have this book for when the time comes and my daughter seriously begins to question it, whether it happens after Christmas vacation when she returns to school (who knows if anyone spied their parents or whatnot this year on Christmas Eve). Or if the topic comes up next year.

I think I am going to get one or two more books to go with this one. I like the looks of The Legend of Saint Nicholas. Yes, it has some things hard to believe (like as a baby he stood up and prayed to God). But then again, I am not here to tell my daughter that no magic or miracles exist in the world. Just that there is not a real, living, breathing person of Santa Claus who brings her presents. But that we grown-ups do it to carry on the legend of St. Nicholas. And how interesting it is that in many different countries and cultures around the world some sort of giving person/being exists in legends.

So I rate this book with 4 stars. My only complaint is wishing it had a little more info. But it's really good for bringing up the topic with your child. The author has a kind way of writing that doesn't make it seem harsh or as if we've been outright lying to our children about Santa. Just carrying on a fun, beautiful, giving tradition.
on November 30, 2014
Perfect book for this discussion with my nine year old. We emphasized that instead of ONE wonderful person that delivers gifts to all the children, there are MILLIONS of people that give gifts to the needy, and through the Angel Tree, my son is one of the Santas!
on March 17, 2014
My wife and I were concerned when our son started asking questions before Christmas. He was determined to know the truth. This book was a God-send. It put the whole Saint Nicholas story in the context of what we have taught him is important. Rather than being angry at being told a lie, he was thankful and excited to be a secret gift giver to his younger siblings.
on February 13, 2013
Perhaps this low rating is based on my hope that this would be a book that could lead to a discussion and greater understanding between parents and children on the subject of Santa Claus. It's not a bad little book - but nonetheless,it is a very short book, and not likely to answer the big questions on children's minds.
on December 28, 2002
This book is fine for older children who want the reality of how the Santa traditions came to be, but please please please do not use it with your young child. The magic that is Santa Claus is so easy for a young child to understand, and that magic can then be transferred to Jesus as the child gets older. In our home, no one is ever allowed to say that they do not believe in Santa. If they persist they are told that "Santa does not bring gifts to those who do not believe!" Ask anyone in our family from Great Gramma to the youngest and you will get the same answer -- "Of course he is real!" There is incredible magic for me, even now as a gramma, when I view the Christmas morning scene of logs tumbling from the fireplace, ashes on the floor, half-eaten cookies, and the soft glow of the Christmas tree on gifts that weren't there the night before. There is far too much of reality in the world for children nowadays. Please don't ruin this little bit of magic for your child!
on April 11, 2014
This book is perfect for explaining the history of why we celebrate Christmas and how Santa Clause got started. Can't wait to read it to my son!
on November 17, 2001
I tried to explain santa to my child with this book and it resulted in my child throwing a fit as well as this book at my head. It competely shattered my child's veiw of Christmas as well as her spirit for the season.
on December 31, 2015
Great book! But I don't think it's suitable for my 5 year old yet. However, that is just my opinion. It is detailed in the story. But I do love the explanation of Saint Nicholas.