Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Truth of the Matter (The Homelanders)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 26, 2010
I've read "The Last Thing I Remember", "The Long Way Home", and now, "The Truth of the Matter" and I can honestly say that I read this book in one hour and it was the most emotional, exciting, thrilling, confusing, patriotic, thoughtful, christian, funny, suspenseful, and surprising hour I have EVER had!!! This book deserves more than 5 stars!!! 20 stars!!! Charlie West has such...deep thoughts yet Andrew Klavan words them so beautifully I understand perfectly. An epic adventure than DESERVES as much admiration as you have!!!
I am fourteen years old and I reccomend this book to everyone! I told one guy (he was/is 24 years old) and he loved it! Now we're both hooked on this series and I can't believe Andrew Klavan is tormenting us by making us wait for August 2011 for "The Final Hour" book four!!! I can't wait!!!
*****
1010 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon December 9, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
HE TRUTH OF THE MATTER is Andrew Klavan's third book in the young adult Homelanders series. This book is released by a Christian publisher. Klavan also writes books for adults that, while they contain moral and Christian values, are full of bad language and adult situations. With that disclaimer out of the way, I have to say THE TRUTH OF THE MATTER is the best in the series.

In book one, high schooler Charlie West woke up to find him self strapped to a table. He had no memory of the last year and a half. He escaped from his captors and spent the rest of the novel trying to find out what had happened to him. He discovers he'd been arrested for the murder of his best friend Alex Hauser. He'd been convicted and sent to prison. He escaped and joined a group called the Homelanders, an Islamic terrorist group based in the USA .

In book two, Charlie makes contact with some of his old buddies, plus girlfriend Beth. His friends all still believe in him, but Charlie can't stay with them. The cops are after him for escaping prison and the Homelanders want him dead for betraying their cause.

Book three opens with Charlie looking for a man called Waterman, a man who could supposedly tell Charlie what in the world is going on. Once Charlie finds Waterman, the action picks up. Charlie never knows who to trust and the Homelanders are always on his tail.

I liked this book because, through flashbacks, we learn along with Charlie what exactly happened. He remembers what really happened to friend Alex. He relives what it was like to fall in love with Beth. He discovers how he became involved with the Homelanders. Some might complain of too much backstory or rehashing the past. But, I think Klavan does it in a way that makes in interesting and fun.

There's only one more book in this unabashedly pro-American series. These books are easy to read and teenagers, and their parents, should enjoy it.

One other note: I received this book through Amazon Vine and it had the first 27 pages missing. I was able to find the beginning online.
on July 13, 2011
This third book of the Homelanders Series opens as Charlie West finds the man he's been looking for--the one he believes will be able to fill him in on the gaps in his memory. But as Charlie is slowly able to piece together his memories, the plot thickens, and the adventure grows even more intense.

This series is really intended for teenage boys or tomboys (middle school-high school), but as a woman and mother, I found it to be enjoyable light reading. The stories should really be read in order as they build on each other, and I'd also recommend that parents of teenage readers use the Reading Group Guide to discuss the book further with their young adults since the stories provide an easy and excellent opportunity to talk about some very important issues including faith, morality, and patriotism.
on January 9, 2013
The Truth of the Matter was a thrilling ride! I loved it! It was very interesting to learn more about what was really going on in Charlie's life and, I have to say, I was surprised by some of the things revealed!

There was so much action in The Truth of the Matter that it held my attention throughout! I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this book... it's my favorite of the Homelanders series so far! The ending left me itching to pick up The Final Hour (book four) as soon as possible!

I recommend The Truth of the Matter if you enjoy YA action novels - it was fantastic! I think you should probably read books one and two first, though, so things will make sense.

I borrowed this book from the library. I was not required to write a review, but chose to. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
on October 18, 2013
Terrorists, only a short period of time to stop them, and the teenage boy who knows the truth of what they're up to. . . if only he can remember. It's an engaging story, with a likeable viewpoint character in a difficult situation. The plot develops well, regularly ratcheting up the tension to keep the reader engaged, while also involving the reader in the character's thought processes. Klavan successfully injects some philosophical threads into this; a characteristic of his novels that help to make them especially enjoyable. A good read.
on December 9, 2010
Charlie West has a problem. The bad guys are trying to get him--and so are the good guys. But sometimes, when you need it the most, allies can come from the strangest places. And with his memories finally coming back to him bit by bit, Charlie is beginning to understand the truth of the matter.

From book one, chapter one, sentence one, the Homelanders series has never let up on the action. Everything that happens in these books is drained for every possible drop of suspense. But somehow, in the midst of the constant car chases, fist fights and gun fire, you get to know Charlie. And you can't help but root for him as he goes up against impossible odds for what he believes in.

Finally, all the pieces of Charlie's past are beginning to come together for what is sure to be one of the most suspenseful books of all time. My only complaint is that we'll have to wait till August for The Final Hour.
on July 22, 2011
In The Truth of the Matter, Charlie West is searching for a man named Waterman. West has found out that Waterman knows all about his past and the Homelanders. Waterman gave West a drug to help him to remember the past year of his life. West started to remember everything in flashbacks that sometimes were so strong that it knocked him out. The third book in the series reveals the truth behind why the Homelanders are after him. The Homelanders and the police are getting closer to tracking down West. Will he be able to escape them or will they capture him? Will Charlie West survive? Can he ever stop running?

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery books! It has a lot of action and secrets that are finally coming out in the third book of the series. Andrew Klavan can definably write magnificent action packed books! I was shocked to learn some of the truths about why the Homelanders are after Charlie West. I can't wait to start reading the final book in the series coming very soon! If you want an immense summer book check out the Homelanders series, you won't regret it!
on November 30, 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Homelanders is an action/thriller series for middle-graders. Published by Thomas Nelson Publishers (publishes and produces Christian books), this series comes in four installments. Though the author fills in the reader with the background information from previous books, I’d suggest starting with book one. Here’s the series in order.

1. The Last Thing I Remember (2009)
2. The Long Way Home (2010)
3. The Truth of the Matter (2010)
4. The Final Hour (2011)

In book one, Charlie West awakes to find out the police are after him for murder and that he’s part of a terrorist group called the Homelanders—they are after him too. Oh, and the last year is a total blank. He can’t remember a thing that happened.

Finally in book three, readers discover what happen as Charlie is given a drug to help him remember what happened. What his connection is between him and the Homelanders.

I’m not a fan of middle-grade books or Christian fiction, but Andrew Klavan knows how to keep the action coming in this series. I’ve enjoyed books one through three so far and will start on “The Final Hour” soon. I like the message of not giving up, in believing in yourself, believing in good that’s found throughout this series.
on December 21, 2012
This is the third book in The Homelanders series. As expected, it picks up right where the second leaves off. Charlie continues his quest for answers and finally begins to put the pieces of the puzzle that is his life back together. Klavan keeps the story and excitement going strong. The page-turning effect these books have on the reader is amazing. It is very easy to get drawn in and absorbed by the book. Every chapter ending, as well as the book ending, are total cliff hangers and will leave the reader in suspense, itching to read more.
on September 18, 2014
The Truth of the Matter is book 3 in this series. What an exciting read, Charlie begins to regain his memory throughout the book. He finds out why he lost his memory in the first place and why he was framed for his best friends murder. The Homelanders are after him, can he get away in time? I can't wait to read book 4!