Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12 reviews
on March 19, 2011
There needs to be another section for books, the exploitation / zombie area.

As a zombie book, this was one of my favorites. However I could have done without the constant over-the-top violence and abuse towards women. There has to be other ways an author can get the message across that humanity has fallen into complete hell without giving graphic descriptions of rape and gang rape. If these had been omitted, this book would have got a strong 5 stars for me. There are hundreds of other ways to display the depravity of human beings without bringing rape into the scene.
on October 26, 2010
This was a surprisingly good read. I enjoy zombie literature and read many novels in the genre. The Turning was much better than expected. Very grisly and gritty (even for this genre) but the story is interesting and takes some unexpected turns. The main character grows on you as he struggles to survive a zombie apocalypse. This was one of the better zombie novels I have read recently and I recommend it.
on August 20, 2010
Kelly Hudson's first novel is a great romp through the Bay Area involving Zombies, gore and the worst villians, the living. Being from the Bay Area, I loved the emphasis on the locations and enjoyed the development of the characters Jeff and Jenny. Some great close calls with the undead and graphic details which gave me pause. Just how I like it.
on August 20, 2010
I've just hit the half way mark with this novel and am rather pleased with what I've read thus far. Strong characters, fully realized and emotionally grabbing, kept me turning the pages long after I should have retired for bed. Gory, vulgar and violent as the story has been thus far, it's also been surprisingly beautiful. I believe what's struck me the most is that, for a good deal of what I've read, it was really spelling out my own personal zombie apocalypse fantasy, which I found to be quite satisfying. To delve more into that would be unfair to those who haven't read it yet and for those folks I do urge you to take a look. You're only reading this review if you have some interest in zombie tales or have read some of Hudson's stories from the horror anthologies he's been published in, so it's safe to say your interest is already peaked. Like his short stories, Hudson's The Turning doesn't disappoint. I'm looking forward to finishing the story and will post another review once I have, but I state again: Well worth the purchase at only the half way mark.
on February 11, 2011
This book is a complete waste,The author has the characters either sleeping or vomiting every few pages.
Are they narcoleptic with purging issues ?
Every few paragraphs ends with "they fell asleep"
it seems like the author doesn't know what else to do with his characters so he has them sleep and the Three Stooges zombies was plain absurd as well as most male zombies wear flannel shirts (Creedence Clearwater Revival fans ?) and female zombies wear ponytails.
Many seem to be missing both arms.doesn't the author know any other ways to desscribe them ?
Also if firearms are used at leat take the time to learn something about them,you're sitting at a computer for heavens sake,it's full of information.
It's overall a lazy effort not worth the time it takes to read it.
on October 18, 2010
Not a perfect book, but it really kept me reading. I truly wanted to find out what happened to the people involved (in my opinion, that's a keeper!) Somewhat simplified, it still rang true and wasn't boring in the least. Shows how love can turn even a milquetoast into a hero! Plus, it had an added character I didn't expect in a zombie novel!