Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Twilight Zone, the (1959) - Complete Series
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

on December 22, 2013
The Twilight Zone is one of the best programs to ever fill a television screen. Each episode is indeed like a roller coaster for your imagination. Great talent created a show that touched the emotions while also leading the viewer through a maze of psychological delight. Rod Serling was a thinker and a genius. Add to that the tremendous writing, directing and acting. The result is a television series for the ages.

I believe the poor reviews this "episodes only collection" has suffered is unfair. Reviewing something for what you wanted it to be instead of for what it is doesn't make sense. Many people, such as myself, prefer a TZ collection without the extra features. I usually watch extra features about once. The TV programs (or movies) I'll watch over and over again. So, why spend another $20-$50 (according to what the product is) for what I may view just once? I'd rather use that money for another TV series or a couple of movies.

That said, I've found the picture quality and sound of this collection to be very good. Also, I must warn the reader of this review that these TZ programs are quite addictive. It's difficult to watch only one. I find myself looking at several before I force myself to turn off the DVD player.
1313 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
The quality of the disc was excellent. Picture and sound is perfect!!
The only downfall is that the disc does not play continuous.
Other than that this is a must for a Twilight Zone fan at a very
reasonable price!
on December 31, 2013
Based on commentary about loss of the "DEFINITIVE" collection I checked reviews for that to see why it was so great. The main theme there was that it is plagued by cheap knockoffs. The majority of posters had the same basic comment. Maybe that is why that item is going to be put on hold. If the stories are true then it seems like the right thing to do to me.

Additionally this set is half the price of the DEFINITIVE collection so maybe a lot of people are willing to give up the "EXTRAS" to save the money. That sounds like more choice to me not less.
22 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2013
It is silly for everyone here to continue to complain about the discontinuation of the Definitive Edition. This series here is great for those, like me, who almost never watch the extras when purchasing a DVD/Blu-Ray. I simply want the episodes so I can watch them in order and ensure I see every last one.

Now, the discontinuation of the Definitive Edition makes sense. There is a blu-ray version out there with all the extras and it costs slightly more than the definitive did, but not too much. For those who say they don't have a blu-ray player. That is a silly reason. If you can afford to buy the Definitive Edition over the episode only collection simply for a few extras, then you can afford a blu-ray player. They are often found for $30 or less every Black Friday and at any time can be found for $50 or less. Blu-Ray playes are backwards compatible with DVDs, so don't worry about your old DVDs not being able to work. They will still work even with your snazzy new blu-ray player.

Overall, I give this five stars because it provides all the episodes at a relatively cheap price. If that's all you want, then this is the deal for you.
66 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2013
It was marvelous to see all the episodes again. The quality of these discs is excellent, with greater clarity than I have ever seen. There was one episode that wasn't included. It was concerned with a person being transported to Pearl Harbor just before the attack. This one was done before the series was considered for a season, so I suppose it isn't considered part of the series. Possibly, this pilot is available elsewhere.
99 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2013
CBS DVD and RLJ Entertainment release the perfect present for any classic sci-fi enthusiast in the form of "The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series" collection. All 156 episodes of creator Rod Serling's epic anthology show are found in this special box set. They're conveniently housed on 25 discs for easy access to any of its five seasons.

From 1959 to 1964, the mastermind used his half hour and hour-long platforms to delve into the frightening and exciting worlds of the unknown. Serling used these tales to teach lessons and unleash subtle and not so subtle social commentaries on a captive audience.

At the time of its five year run, "The Twilight Zone" was a launching ground for many incredible actors who would go on to do great things. What other show could boast having guest stars like Art Carney, Burgess Meredith, Cliff Robertson, Dennis Hopper, Bill Bixby, Leonard Nimoy, Burt Reynolds, Don Rickles, Jack Klugman, Robert Redford, Lee Marvin, Martin Landau, Telly Savalas, and William Shatner? Each episode would take these iconic actors and place them in a mysterious and unsettling situation that would unravel a moral tale in the end.

The audio and video quality is much better than many would expect from a show that's over 50 years old. After seeing some of these episodes on syndicated TV, I was quite surprised at the way they looked and sounded. A complete series box set was released several years ago, so I don't know if they went back in again for this specific collection and restored them even more.

"The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series" will please viewers and consumers who never picked it up until now. It's the perfect way to collect this monumental and groundbreaking show which influenced hundreds of filmmakers and kick started the anthology medium for TV and movies. This is an essential piece of any sci-fi or horror fan's home entertainment library.
on March 26, 2014
These would make Rod Serling proud I'm sure. Excellent B&W reproduction. When they run these on TV they are butchered and edited to fit all the commercials, NOT here. These episodes are full and pure right down to the ending credits. They have the Rod Serling promo for the next episode and him doing his cigarette advertisement. There is an occasional Ed Sullivan teaser. Well done indeed. Only drawback, no "play all" option, but I knew that beforehand.
on March 4, 2014
I got this on an Amazon sale and it's a good value.
As noted, there are no extras but that's not a problem for me.
The picture and sound quality are good.
There's something for just about everyone in this set, if you don't like some episodes there's a good chance you'll find ones that you do like.
Many of these are twist ending classics.
Lots of big name stars show up in these episodes.
In total, it's a refreshing trip back in time.
on April 9, 2015
My Mom loves it and calls it "The Twinkle Zone". Apparently when she was young and in her 20's this show would come on and she would watch it with her friend. I liked that story so I got her the TV series and she still loves it...
on February 20, 2015
The Twilight Zone is my favorite SciFi show. I never missed the marathon on the SciFi channel (that is, when I could find which holiday weekend it was showing -- it seemed to change yearly). Anyhoo...I finally decided to purchase the series despite the price (anything over $50 is steep for me). 5 Start product overall but I had to give it a 4 because....

I reluctantly gave 4 stars for 3 reasons:
1) None of the DVDs have a "Play All" feature (this one really bothers me)
2) Each case contains 5 DVDs. The episodes are listed on back of the case in play order; however, it doesn't indicate which episodes are on which disc. Nothing that a little basic math can't cure if you want to watch the episodes out of order though.
3) After each episode, Rod Serling introduces the "next week's" episode. However, some of the intros only include his audio (with a blank screen) while others have an audio/visual introduction. Don't know if the "missing visual" is a product defect or if there was never a visual for some of his intros.

The Cons are minor relative to my overall satisfaction with the product. I definitely recommend it to old and new Twilight Zone fans.