Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 469 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 667 reviews
on January 5, 2006
It's a real shame that The Twilight Zone didn't go beyond a 5th season. I have been a die-hard fan of the show when it was popular as a rerun in the 1980s. Personally, season 5 was my favorite of the Twilight Zone.

To me there were many underrated classics in this season: "You Drive," "Night Call," "An Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge" (actually this episode is a French film. The story was written by Ambrose Bierce), "What's in The Box," "Stopover In A Quiet Town" and the rare non-syndicated episode "The Encounter." It also includes the more well-known classics: "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet," "Mr. Garrity And The Graves," "The Masks" and "Living Doll."

There are also some great bonus features including a 90-minute in-depth documentary about the life of Rod Serling titled "Submitted For Your Approval."

Also included are audio commentary with some of the stars like Martin Landau (The Jeopardy Room), Mickey Rooney (The Last Night Of A Jockey), Bill Mumy (Praise Of Pip) and Alan Sues (The Masks). Interviews with Rod Serling; remastered picture and sound for superior quality and much, much more.

This box set is worth every penny. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
on February 17, 2016
The Ambrose Bierce short story that this episode is based on is an excellent work of fiction. When I first read it I thought this would make a great episode of the twilight zone. How delighted to find that there was an episode (though actually a French movie). It was excellently done and well worth watching several times. One of the best episodes ever and would recommend it to everyone. With the exception of a song that was in it (which should have been deleted) no more than a dozen words were spoken in the entire episode yet it accurately portrayed the story as it should have. Give yourself a present and watch this gem. You will want to recommend it to everyone. An excellent choice for the twilight zone!
on February 28, 2015
highly recommend this product. this is different from The Twilight Zone The Definitive Edition DVD because it just has all of the season 5 episodes and no extra features. I love this product better than the definitive edition because I only care about watching the episodes and the special features are very superfluous to me. The DVD case on this product is also a lot thinner than the definitive edition dvd case. highly recommend for fans of the Twilight Zone. I consider season 5 to be the worst of all 5 seasons of the original series. Season 5 still has some great episodes such as Nightmare at 20,000 feet and living doll starring Telly Savalas, However the show really started to lose its pride by this final season. It is worth owning for hardcore fans of the twilight zone original series.
on August 28, 2011
There are great episodes in Season Five such as the classic Nightmare at 20,000 Feet; The Masks; Living Doll; Last Night of the Jockey (featuring Mickey Rooney who provides a wonderful character study of a pathetic yet defiant loser with a literally out-sized view of himself); Night Call; An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge and A Stopover in a Quiet Town. Then there were some genuine surprises including entries during the so-called dead zone of the last 10-15 episodes. I was struck by how good and though-provoking The Encounter was. I cannot imagine it not stirring up some controversy when it was first released. Neither character is a hero or villain. Both are deeply conflicted in a way that feeds into the dark, tragic ending of this underrated masterpiece with two wonderful performances by George Takei and Neville Brand. I expected The Jeopardy Room to be a throwaway but it was anything but that . . .feeling like a pilot episode of one of CBS's next great classics - Mission Impossible, both in its feel and intensity. I found that the topics of race; hatred and the mob mentality were intelligently explored in I am the Night: Color Me Black. Even the ones that felt like variations on themes that were previously touched upon in TZ were well-acted and executed - Uncle Simon; Queen of the Nile; A Kind of Stopwatch; Caesar and Me; The Fear and The Brain Center at Whipples- albeit with an occasional line or two in the dialogue or plot that could have been been rendered more imaginatively. There are a few dogs including boring and aimless Come Wander with Me; The 7th is Made of Phantoms which simply approached its intriguing premise all wrong from the get go (despite the presence of such lumineries as Warren Oates and Greg Morris) and the insufferable Sounds and Silences which wasted John McGiver's talents on an script that manages to be far more overbearing than its odious central character. But even the misses such as the Old Man and the Cave; Uncle Simon and Probe 7, Over and Out have been far more watchable than I expected. I have got about 11 more to go in the Season and will no doubt be sad to see The Twilight Zone come to an end. Oh well, there is always Lost and Fringe to be explored.
on July 13, 2015
I was young when I watched the original twilight zone episodes and they seemed so hokey and "black and white" and im a 70s child! But now that im in my forties I find myself enraptured by them. One I just watched about two people who wish for things a genie comes n when he does they get four wishes but each one they must pay for in certain terms. It's creepy good fun all of them the fact that the special effects are corny (nightmare of 20000 feet) one of them only makes it more endearing while when I was younger I thought oh how hokey now it makes it raw and more powerful. I have not watched a bad one yet excellent far better than I remember !!
on March 5, 2017
I love this show but I was shorted a disc. Disc 2 was missing from this set. Very disappointed.
on July 12, 2012
The Twilight Zone has always been among my all-time favourite tv shows despite the fact then when I first encountered it as a boy it scared me so much that I couldn't sleep! This the fifth and final season is now in Blu-Ray format and while not every episode looks great on 1080p due to the various states of deterioration of the original master tapes they are certainly a whole lot better than the dvds. The sound quality for the most part has been cleaned up and hisses are few and far between. What I like about the Twilight Zone is that I never seem to tire of watching the episodes over and over again as I always seem to find something new that I missed on previous times. Not all the episodes in this fifth season score but the ones I liked the most are: "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet", "Living Doll", "You Drive", "An Occurence At Owl Creek Bridge", "The Jeopardy Room", "The Encounter", and "Mr. Garrity and the Graves".

Most episodes have excellent picture and sound quality and in fact this has improved a great deal over the previous seasons as well. Overall this is a very good blu-ray set of season five of the series.

Highly recommended!
on February 15, 2010
After season Four's experiment with the hour long format, in which stories got more depth and time to unfold, sometimes a very desireable thing, season five finds a return to the half hour format and a little "tighter" storytelling.

With a return to the half hour, the stories have to move along and we don't get to dwell on or ponder things as much. But, because the writing was still very good, they managed to keep the stories interesting and maintain consistent quality content.

Yes, by now the series was beginning to run short on ideas, and sadly, it does show. However, compared to what is out there in today's market, these stories hold up very well for forty year old tales. Because the quality of writing was generally better back then, even for "bad" shows, compared to today, we can visit these episodes and find them quite enjoyable.

The nice thing about stories such as these is that though the costumes and cars and things like that are "dated", the characters and stories are not. And much of the subject matter throughout the whole series remains reasonably topical even today. And shows that deal with the human condition - which doesn't change - generally fare better over time than those that try to capitalize on the trendy stuff of the time in which they were created.

For that reason, I find the whole of the Twilight Zone series of consistent high quality and can easily recommend it to fans of the fantasy/science fiction camp.
on January 12, 2012
I've been a fan of The Twilight Zone ever since I saw William Shatner's classic performance in Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. Normally, I'm skeptical about older shows being remastered like this for Blu-ray, but overall, I'm pretty impressed. In a nutshell, here's what I think about The Twilight Zone on Blu-ray.

GOOD
- the quality of the transfers look very impressive in HD, there's no artifacts or other anomologies sometimes seen in the DVD version
- the audio tracks have been restored and remastered and they give a lot of new depth to some of the classic episodes
- a nice collection of episodes that still stand the test of time
- great extras are included, including interviews and other behind the scenes bits

BAD
- the set can be kinda pricey, so shop around for the best deal

Even if you have these on regular DVD, I realize that it can be daunting to buy another series AGAIN, just to have it in HD, but trust me, it's worth it.
on February 20, 2016
Very much like a student film, this episode of TTZ is quite different from most of the series as it was a short film made in France that was simply played as an episode of the show. It is based in the American Civil War, somewhere in the south, where a man is about to be hanged for what we assume was trying to destroy the very bridge on which the Union soldiers will execute him. But, being the Twilight Zone, nothing happens as we expect.