Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 22, 2014
Having only an old 1994 worn paperback edition of the Lord of the Rings, I wanted to purchase a version that I could read and display for many years to come. I did a ton of research and decided upon this version (ISBN 116-1749849-2513827), illustrated by Alan Lee and published by Harper Collins in June 2014 (I am adding these details because the Amazon.com site does not make it clear what this version is). Please note that this particular printing is NOT available in the US but any Tolkien or LotR devotee should not be deterred (Frodo wouldn't have been!). I must say that this is the finest published one-volume version of the LotR that I have ever laid eyes upon, and is well worth every penny. It includes approximately 50 high-quality color illustrations by Alan Lee, which even for a 30-something like me makes the reading experience exceptional. The front and back covers are made of durable, high-quality cloth (as shown), with a strong and handsome turquoise binding. The pages -- not just the illustrations but the entire book -- are glossy and made of "whiter" paper than you generally find, the margins large, and the typeset easy on the eyes.

For those who care about such things, the printing is based on the 2004 corrected text, with even further corrections. There are updated introductions/forwards by Wayne G. Hammond & Christina Scull, authors of the authoritative "LOTR Readers Companion," as well as by Douglas A. Anderson, who provides a detailed publication history of the Lord of the Rings. The full appendices are included.

Two-page red and black maps of Middle Earth and of Gondor/Rohan/Mordor adorn the front and back covers, with a map of the Shire before the first chapter. Also present are other essentials such as the Doors of Moria and the Tomb of Balin. The only drawback is that the facsimile pages of the Book of Mazarbul was not included, which I found to be surprising and a bit disappointing Also, the ring inscription and the Gandalf "rune" are printed in black rather than silver and red. Probably the main issue is the clear plastic slipcover, which is barely bigger than the book itself, and it is difficult to slip the book back inside it after taking it out. You are more likely to scuff the corners of the book. That being said, these are far from dealbreakers, and the joy to be received from owning this edition far outweighs these issues.
193 helpful votes
194 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on May 11, 2015
Very nice books, binding seems nice. I love the covers although they are not "paperback" and are more of a fake leather material. These books are beautiful and very convenient. They are pocket-sized which is great for on the go, they aren't too small or too big (actually bigger than I anticipated which is a plus). The font size is readable, the only thing I would have to note is that the font size isn't the same throughout the different books. The font size seems to be based on the length of the books, the longer the books are, the smaller the font is (I suppose this was in order to keep them pocket-sized as well as consistent with the sizes of the other books throughout the set). If you have decent to good eyes, this set would be perfectly fine for you on the go but those people who don't have as good of eye sight, because I know some people who tend to get headaches while focusing on small font, this set may not be for you. I will upload some pics of the font comparisons, books, etc.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
390 helpful votes
391 helpful votes
1313 comments|Report abuse
on May 11, 2017
I adore "The Hobbit", and I needed an extraordinary looking one. I discovered this one, and it was great! Similarly as I had needed. It has representations by the creator, J.R.R. Tolkien, and it is totally delightful and ravishing! I got it seven days early, and I was extremely satisfied. I was exceptionally happy that it accompanied a hard case that the book slides into. That way, the book will remain more pleasant any longer. The bundling was great, and the book and case were psychologist wrapped. It was completely superb, and I was so satisfied and happy with everything. It was far and away superior to I anticipated! Good quality and delivery! I exceptionally prescribe this to any aficionado of J.R.R. Tolkien, or "The Hobbit". It was great.
on May 4, 2017
I got this book sooner than expected. It looks great and I'll probably get the leather editions sooner or later. I noticed a thing though. It seems that there were some illustrations in the enhanced edition that were not in this new 75th anniversary edition. "The hill" where bilbo lives from the beginning of the book was not pictured in this edition like the enhanced one which seems strange why they would not add it. I hope I'm not missing anything important. What do I know? I'm just new to the hobbit universe.
on November 1, 2017
This wasn't what I expected, but it is good in it's own right. Probably my fault that I didn't look more deeply into it before I bought it, but I was expecting an abridged edition of Tolkien's book that had illustrations along the way, thinking maybe 20 or so, like for each chapter or something. This is not that. This is a graphic novel version of The Hobbit. It was a gift, so I didn't have the chance to read it myself, but the art and content look good. I think it still ended up working, but wasn't what I intended, so just know if you buy that what you are getting is a graphic novel adaptation.
on November 13, 2016
Hi, we read these books over and over. This set is beautiful and new. We have just started the series again.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on April 11, 2017
This was the first time I read the book all the way through, although I had started this and Fellowship of the Ring at different times. I also have seen the trilogy movies and have seen some of the first Hobbit movie, so the story is familiar. As far as the literary work, its best parts for me were the beginning and the ending. Both in the movie and in the book, the comedic visit of the Dwarves is wonderful. The death of Smaug and the battle for power have made me look forward to continue the journey through the books. Knowing the characters, I look forward to more Smeagol and Gandolf in the trilogy as I start it immediately. I also hope to watch the two Hobbit movies in their entirety soon.
on March 20, 2017
I now have three different editions of the series. This review is for the particular edition I bought.

The books fit in my pocket, sits reasonably flat in my hand while reading, lightweight. Looks great on a shelf. Clear easy to read text. Made a new friend while carrying it around. The pages are kind of thin but not Bible-thin. This would make a great gift for someone who would like to read all of the books.

The biggest issue is the font size changes between books! The smaller text might be difficult for some to read.
on October 22, 2015
The Hobbit was the first major work of fiction by English scholar J.R.R. Tolkien. It follows a half-sized homebody named Bilbo Baggins who is whisked away on a quest to help some bearded dwarves steal treasure from a dragon.

Independent of its role in Tolkien's wider Middle-earth legendarium, The Hobbit is one of the greatest adventure stories of all time. Though many of Bilbo's experiences are fantastical, Tolkien's description of action and scenery in his fictional world will make you thirst for adventure, and at the same time appreciate your comfort.

The content of The Hobbit might be deemed childish or nerdy by some. I won't disagree. But Tolkien's works also have a certain literary quality, so don't be embarrassed to give this a go.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 6, 2013
My daughter (8) requested this for Christmas andI was all to happy to comply. Before I wrapped it, I read it (i couldn't resist) and it's a lovely edition of Tolkien's tale. The pages are nice and glossy, the words are in a medium-size font which makes it both accessible for younger children but doesn't make older kids feel like they are reading a purely-for-kids book, and the illustrations that are sprinkled in throughout the pages (there aren't many, but this isn't a picture book) are a nice bonus.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was that the book didn't come with a slip cover. They tend to get lost anyway, but it's nice to start out with one!

Highly recommended!