Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 57 reviews
on January 17, 2015
Fun and excellent book. If I were a professor of philosophy (rather than my field), I'd teach a Harry Potter & Philosophy course using this as the main textbook. It's fun and interesting. I got the book on tape as well, and I have a blast listening to the analysis and connections using the Harry Potter universe with fun philosophic ideas (some of which I'm familiar with, and some not-so-much). Each chapter references the Harry Potter universe in great detail. Perfect for fans who want to dive into the philosophy Rowling used as well as fans who want to use this as a jumping off point to enter philosophy...or just think about concepts in a new, fun way, as I do.
on March 3, 2017
An excellent book for any Harry Potter fan, this read delves into the world of Harry Potter from a philosophical and moral standpoint, using specific examples from both the books and the films (though primarily the books) to spark thought, debate, and otherwise enrich the world of HP. I would highly recommend this to HP fans.
VINE VOICEon September 14, 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
Well this is embarrassing! While only two-thirds of the way through reading this very enjoyable introductory-level text on the classic philosophies incorporated into each of the Harry Potter novels, I accidentally left the book behind as I got off my commuter train last night. I checked at the train station this evening, and the book has not been turned in, from which I conclude someone else agrees this looks like a worthwhile book to read. I've also heard the same from a teen to whom I mentioned the book.

I've now just put my money where my mouth is, and ordered another copy for my Kindle 3G. Thus, we have assurance I consider the Ultimate Harry Potter and Philosophy worth its asking price.

For me, the book is useful in three ways: 1) as a pleasant refresher on the basic issues of Philosophy, and how those were dealt with by several of the best classic philosophers; 2) as a pleasant refresher on the important ideas, values and events of the entire Harry Potter series; and 3) as a bridge between generations, connecting popular culture with the enduring values of Western Civilization.

One surprising aspect of the book is that it mentions libertarian ideas fairly often, which I'd not noticed when reading the Potter books originally. Thankfully, it also is supportive of the idea of absolute truths, rather than insisting as some modern philosophers do that everything is relative.

As a team effort, some chapters are better than others, but all thus far are well worth reading.

Definitely recommended!
on May 4, 2014
Great literary criticism in addition to being a great introduction to many philosophical topics. The contributors are all accomplished in the academy, and are passionate Harry Potter fans. The truly surprising and pleasant discovery for one interested in scholarship and the enjoyment of popular literature, is that none of the arguments are stretched or force. The theses are strong and laudably defended. The books speak for themselves as worthy indeed of serious thought and scholarship.
on February 12, 2016
I adore this book. I used it for an argumentative essay for one of my university classes, and received excellent feedback from my use of sources. Not only educational for a Potterhead, but also a fantastic read!
on August 7, 2011
I don't know a whole lot about philosophy, but after reading this book I feel that I have at least a basic grasp of philosophical concepts. I enjoy reading the Harry Potter books a lot and I find this book to be quite educational and interesting. So I would recommend any HP fan who wants to learn something about philosophy to read this book.

If you enjoy reading this book, then you might also want to try "Batman and Philosophy: The Dark Knight of the Soul". That's also a pretty good book, and it complements this book well.

P.S. I do wonder how the author/publisher got permission to use D. Radcliffe's image on the cover.
on September 27, 2012
This is a book for fans of Harry Potter who likes philosophy, but can be read easy for people who dont like philosophy too.

Gave me a different perspective of some parts of the books.

Some of the ideas take to long to come to a closure with not literary justification, in my humble opinion.

The price is correct for the content.

Sorry for my english, its not my native language.
on November 3, 2016
Well written...an good philosophical insight into the well-known Harry Potter book series.
on December 28, 2014
A classic addition to my Harry Potter collection. This made me really think about things I never realized about the HP series.
on May 5, 2013
This book was very well written, I especially liked the chapter and subject breakdown. Author does a good job relating the Harry potter content in a new way. I would have liked a more substantial background on philosophy and its principles for ease of read and understanding.