Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on February 18, 2009
This is a great reference book for teens looking for something else to read. My 15 year old avid reader found many new titles. The thing I really liked about it is it doesn't just recommend the usuals like The Outsiders and Watership Down. They have really done some work here and recommend books not listed in other reading guides. My favorite part is a small sidebar that recommends other books if you like the book reviewed. It was a very helpful tool in finding books that fit a mood. I think this is a must have for every teen!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on March 6, 2014
Wonderful guide to great literature for those who have progressed beyond children's literature. Indispensable. Wish we had had it some months ago!
on June 28, 2013
I bought the book for my daughter. Some of the pages were bent. Other than that, she likes it a lot.
on July 4, 2012
After a brief introduction, this book kicks off with tons of great books. It has even more books than 500 Great Books for Teens, and I think I liked reading this book more. One thing that was great was that the reviews and descriptions of the books were written by various people: authors, editors, librarians, booksellers, and teenagers themselves. I got some great new books that I want to read! Another great thing was that there was a "Next?" box for each book, saying some other interesting related books. This was a really wonderful feature because I saw a lot of books that I'd read and loved, but then there were some interesting suggestions in the "Next?" box. One thing that I would say was better about 500 Great Books for Teens was that it gave the number of pages and publication date for each book. Also, UTBG was arranged in alphabetical order rather than genre, so if you're looking for a specific genre of book, 500 Great Books for Teens would be better, as it is arranged in genres. But if you're just browsing for a great book of any kind, UTBG is probably better. Also, UTBG has a lot of "extras," like reader's polls and essays on different genres.

*You can read all of my reviews at my book blog, [...]*
2 helpful votes
on December 28, 2007
This is the most helpful and interesting guide to teen books I've seen yet. The range of books reviewed is terrific. The selection is not limited to just traditional teen books, but reaches out to include books that are regarded as being written for adults (ie: A Prayer for Owen Meany, About A Boy, Ethan Frome), but are completely appropriate and meaningful to teens. There is also a nice listing of books from the UK, which we often miss on this side of the pond. The editors have nailed all the books I would be thrusting into teenagers' hands while introducing me to plenty of new titles.
12 helpful votes
13 helpful votes
on June 5, 2010
The Ultimate Teen Book Guide simplifies finding the next book to read. This anthology of young adult book titles contains over 700 book recommendations, feature articles and lists of must read books. Editors, Daniel Hahn and Leonie Flynn, found something to interest every reader.

The Ultimate Teen Book Guide includes with each recommendation an approximate age range of readers who the editors believe are most likely to enjoy that book. Another unique feature with each recommendation is the Next box. This box includes titles of books that students should consider reading next if they liked the recommended book.

In addition to hundreds of book recommendations,The Ultimate Teen Book Guide gives a top ten list of must read books for the following genres: horror, nonfiction, biography/memoir, graphic novels, adventure, issues, fantasy, dystopian worlds, series books, romance, mystery and coming of age.

To read the rest of this review: [...]
2 helpful votes