Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on May 10, 2009
If you are looking for a diet book, this book isn't for you. If, however, you want to change the way you eat, feel better, and keep the weight off that you lose then buy this book.

The first section of the book explains why preservatives and artificial food additives are bad and why eating freshly made foods can increase the metabolism. The second section is divided into two phases of recipes; the first being a month-long detoxification phase to clear out preservatives and artificial substances out of the body, and the second phase is a more broad set of recipes that is less restrictive on what you can eat.

If you do plan to try this book, you need to be prepared to:

1) Be able to follow recipes and cook for yourself or have some one to do so for you. No fast food or frozen dinners.
2) Have time to cook. While some of the recipes are quick, others take quite a bit of time. I can make grilled chicken in about 15 minutes, but making soup can take nearly an hour. (I double or triple recipes and keep left-overs for time-consuming recipes.)
3) Buy kitchen utensils and appliances. The book lists useful ones. I haven't bought the full list, but the ones I have do really help make things easier.

Now you must be asking yourself, "If I get this book, will it really work?" In my case, I have been seriously overweight for most of my life. I have tried other diets, but none seemed to work. At my last weigh-in at my doctor's office before getting this book I was 344 lbs and wearing a size 50 jeans. After 5 months using these recipes I returned and weighed in at 279 lbs wearing a size 44 jeans (That is 65 lbs in 5 months).

Try it, stick with it, and it will work for you. The food tastes great due to the spices, so I never have a problem wanting something I shouldn't have. I really recommend this book to anyone who needs to take off the weight and keep it off naturally.

Edit:

I thought I should update this since it has been one year now since I bought this book. I am currently down to 234 pounds and a size 40 (meaning I have lost 110 pounds and 10 inches in the past year since I bought this book). Over the course of the year I have branched off from using the recipes alone, but I have always following the guidelines found in the first section. I still recommend this book and have done so for many of my friends and coworkers when they ask me what I did to lose weight.
1919 comments| 560 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 12, 2017
Easy to read and understand the reason behind the diet. Lost 20lbs in 6 months and kept it off . You have to think of it as a life style. I haven't gained any weight back and I have no craving for bad food. I feel about five years younger.
on May 5, 2014
Listen to Dr. Mark Hyman, and Dr. Joel Furman. When they say that the food industry has helped destroy the american diet for the sake of profit, they are correct. It is criminal. Their advice, after seeing them for years during PBS public television pledge drives, woke me up and I am no longer continually hungry and craving crap food. I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months. What a difference. Shame on the american corporation and the american government: a 30% increase in diabetes since 2001, all due to diet, is a criminal act. Of course, stay away from Hyman's supplements and other products he "sells" in order to make his own profit unless you can afford it. There are other options to substitute. BUT the bottom line is the message, and it is right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 22, 2015
Not really a cookbook.....more of a MULT-PHASE DIET...nothing I haven't read before and no recipes I feel compelled to try. The paper quality is poor and the color photos are clumped together in one spot about in the book....approximately mid-book, so you have to look up the recipes or photos as they aren't near each other. Cheaply put together...not near the value of what I paid! DISAPPOINTED!
on January 29, 2017
I really enjoyed the recipes in this book. I lost 9 lbs in the first 3 weeks, and have decided to limit my intake of dairy, gluten and eggs. Only thing I would say I didn't like, but was not a deal breaker for me, were the limited pictures; I'm a visual learner and would've liked to see how some of the recipes I really enjoyed should look. Other than that, great book and I'm happy I purchased it.
on August 11, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased this cookbook in addition to Dr. Hyman's UltraMetabolism book. The recipes look delicious and are relatively easy to make, which is especially important for someone like me, as I am hardly a gourmet chef.
on November 26, 2012
I have been doing Dr. Hyman's 6 week challenge in his Blood Sugar Solution Book. After 6 weeks, I lost 10# and 2" everywhere AND my tummy is flatter than it's ever been in my adult years! Plus, I have never felt better- more energy, sharper memory, etc. and all I have changed is my diet.

Dr. Hyman has some yummy recipes in The Blood Sugar book but I wanted more. I have only tried 2 recipes so far and they were outstanding!!! He has proven to me that healthy food can be delicious! I cannot wait to try more. This cook book is a must have for anyone wishing to feel and look better.
on February 1, 2018
This is a good book with good food. My husband and I used the menus for two weeks. We both lost weight. He lost 13lbs and I lost 12lbs. You would always be full and the food was really good.
on December 3, 2012
I have a cousin who has had a heart attack and since then has gained huge amounts of weight and seems to be struggling with it. Partly is his diet and partly is that they have him on so many medications for his heart and blood pressure that the poor guy's body doesn't know if it's coming or going. I am no doctor but reading the Ultraprevention book I found a lot of similar scenarios with my own health and many other people close to me. I got him the book and this is the follow up. I've tried some of the recipes in this book and found them not only easy to make but yummy. I recommend this for anyone.
on May 24, 2011
I love the recipes in this book. They keep me feeling full and stop sugar and carb cravings! My blood sugar has gone down, and I am losing about 1 to 3 pounds a week (added bonus)!! I feel so much better. There are tons of recipes to choose from. The creamy bean soups are very different and I make them all the time to freeze. I love that I can use common ingredients... so easy on the food budget! Best cookbook I have bought in years!