Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 165 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 190 reviews
on May 10, 2009
If you are looking for a diet book, this book isn't for you. If, however, you want to change the way you eat, feel better, and keep the weight off that you lose then buy this book.

The first section of the book explains why preservatives and artificial food additives are bad and why eating freshly made foods can increase the metabolism. The second section is divided into two phases of recipes; the first being a month-long detoxification phase to clear out preservatives and artificial substances out of the body, and the second phase is a more broad set of recipes that is less restrictive on what you can eat.

If you do plan to try this book, you need to be prepared to:

1) Be able to follow recipes and cook for yourself or have some one to do so for you. No fast food or frozen dinners.
2) Have time to cook. While some of the recipes are quick, others take quite a bit of time. I can make grilled chicken in about 15 minutes, but making soup can take nearly an hour. (I double or triple recipes and keep left-overs for time-consuming recipes.)
3) Buy kitchen utensils and appliances. The book lists useful ones. I haven't bought the full list, but the ones I have do really help make things easier.

Now you must be asking yourself, "If I get this book, will it really work?" In my case, I have been seriously overweight for most of my life. I have tried other diets, but none seemed to work. At my last weigh-in at my doctor's office before getting this book I was 344 lbs and wearing a size 50 jeans. After 5 months using these recipes I returned and weighed in at 279 lbs wearing a size 44 jeans (That is 65 lbs in 5 months).

Try it, stick with it, and it will work for you. The food tastes great due to the spices, so I never have a problem wanting something I shouldn't have. I really recommend this book to anyone who needs to take off the weight and keep it off naturally.

Edit:

I thought I should update this since it has been one year now since I bought this book. I am currently down to 234 pounds and a size 40 (meaning I have lost 110 pounds and 10 inches in the past year since I bought this book). Over the course of the year I have branched off from using the recipes alone, but I have always following the guidelines found in the first section. I still recommend this book and have done so for many of my friends and coworkers when they ask me what I did to lose weight.
1919 comments| 537 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2014
Listen to Dr. Mark Hyman, and Dr. Joel Furman. When they say that the food industry has helped destroy the american diet for the sake of profit, they are correct. It is criminal. Their advice, after seeing them for years during PBS public television pledge drives, woke me up and I am no longer continually hungry and craving crap food. I've lost 25 pounds in 2 months. What a difference. Shame on the american corporation and the american government: a 30% increase in diabetes since 2001, all due to diet, is a criminal act. Of course, stay away from Hyman's supplements and other products he "sells" in order to make his own profit unless you can afford it. There are other options to substitute. BUT the bottom line is the message, and it is right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on April 12, 2017
Easy to read and understand the reason behind the diet. Lost 20lbs in 6 months and kept it off . You have to think of it as a life style. I haven't gained any weight back and I have no craving for bad food. I feel about five years younger.
on April 23, 2013
I read the "Ultrametabolism" book and loved it. The author had several recipes in the back that I tried and liked and figured the cookbook would have a lot more to try. This has a few recipes that looked good but I think the best ones are probably in the first book.
on August 11, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised when I purchased this cookbook in addition to Dr. Hyman's UltraMetabolism book. The recipes look delicious and are relatively easy to make, which is especially important for someone like me, as I am hardly a gourmet chef.
on January 29, 2017
I really enjoyed the recipes in this book. I lost 9 lbs in the first 3 weeks, and have decided to limit my intake of dairy, gluten and eggs. Only thing I would say I didn't like, but was not a deal breaker for me, were the limited pictures; I'm a visual learner and would've liked to see how some of the recipes I really enjoyed should look. Other than that, great book and I'm happy I purchased it.
on April 2, 2015
Dr Hyman provides great, healthy,delicious recipes that really do cut cravings and help you feel full. I have had the set of books for about 3 weeks and have totally enjoyed every recipe. I highly recommend all his books.
on April 15, 2017
Liked the recipes better in the Eat Fat, Get Thin Cookbook. The recipes in this edition are not ones I will probably make, they are a little unusual.
on July 6, 2017
This fact based diet is fantastic and the book provides a large selection of recipes that offer something for every taste.
on October 1, 2014
I have purchased 6 copies of this book over a few years because I keep giving my copy to my friends and then buying another copy for myself. I appreciate all the background information Dr. Hyman has researched and written however I primarily use this as a cookbook when I feel the need to get my eating habits "back on track"! My husband and I followed the program once for three weeks and we both lost weight (him 10 lbs and me 6 lbs) and kept it off for almost 6 months even though we returned to our more "gluttonous" eating habits. It's not easy for an Italian to give up bread and pasta!
Overall, it contains great recipes that help keep you on a healthy but fulfilling diet without making a dramatic lifestyle change. Highly recommend!!