Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Underland Chronicles #1: Gregor the Overlander
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on August 15, 2016
Reader thoughts: I wasn't thrilled about this book at first. Giant bats? Giant rats? Giant roaches? The whole setting felt grubby to me. But I quickly warmed up to the idea of an underground in danger. I grew to love these characters and plot. Books 2 through 5 are my favorite.

Gregor (age 11) is fairly typical, finds himself among fantastical creatures and a prophecy all by accident. He refuses to think he can do anything extraordinary, and yet he has darkness in his past he tries to ignore. He's brave and fairly clever, though rather unappreciative at first. The only super neat thing about him is his care for his little sister.

Boots (age 2) is very neat. She steals the hearts of readers, despite her tantrums and messy diapers. Without her, nothing Gregor or the underlanders tried to do in this book would have been possible. Boots gained them allies, caused distractions, helped people work together, etc.

The dialogue was good. The plot/pacing was good. The concept (a world under ours) works well.

Writer thoughts: My biggest point of disinterest with the book was Gregor's age. Eleven. If he had even been twelve (which he is later) I would have accepted the book better. As it was, Gregor has to act so grown up for an eleven-year-old (then again, Man of the Family features a grown-up eleven-year-old).

Here are some things Gregor is asked to do:
find his kidnapped sister
find his kidnapped father
take care of his wayward sister
take care of his dying grandmother
take care of his ailing father
buy food for his poor family
cook for his poor family
comfort a new orphan twice
own his mistakes
break a secret code
see in the dark
stop a war
save the underground

And, the hardest of all, apologize and admit he was wrong.

(Mostly, Gregor is awesome, and I just wish he were two years older. I have a really hard time believing he could have done such things at such a young age. He's so cool that I want to look up to him, but then I recall eleven-year-olds I know in real life, and I can't. Besides, I can't see that Collins would have lost much by making Gregor two years older.)
on August 12, 2016
wonderful series
on August 12, 2016
I'm a grown adult but I thoroughly enjoyed this series. It's very well written and it has alot of twists and turns that will keep you intrigued.
on August 8, 2016
This book is one of five FIVE STAR books and I don't think that it's good at ALL, I think it was AWESOME
on July 30, 2016
I think they were very different and entertaining .
on July 21, 2016
Great book
on July 20, 2016
A great series from beginning to end.
on July 19, 2016
Recommend story to read to your younger child or read together as a family. Love this author. My favorite book.
on July 8, 2016
This was a quick read because it was a good read. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. A fanciful twist on what may be under the city streets.
on July 2, 2016
Very exciting! My 10 year old loved this book.