Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on February 22, 2016
Unlike many family sagas, this book doesn't try to do too much. It does what it aims to very very well. The themes are few but haunting. the family cannot shake its destiny of historical tragedy, internal strife, missed opportunities to love. Throughout I was deeply touched with active empathy for and connection with the characters, and by extension, by lesson, with those in my own history. Forgiveness and the consequences of resisting forgiveness. Envy and it destructiveness. The voice is sometimes uneven and a few detours away from the steady building of emotion and suspense - but overall reading Jo Baker a satisfying experience in both depth and scope. Brava.
on January 1, 2014
This is essentially a family saga, but for that format, the book is plain too short. Several of the characters are fascinating, but not enough time was spent telling their stories. I do hope that whatever editor might have suggested shortening this book will allow the author freer reign next time a similar manuscript is submitted. "People won't buy it if they can't lift it" is no longer a valid argument in the era of the e-reader. We want to savor the full meal, not have the waiter hovering to take the plates away.
on December 23, 2013
I know, it was pretty true to life, but I was not entertained. I had to push myself to finish the book. I could have put it down and not finished it, but I hate to do that. I was hoping there was a happy ending. I guess you could say that Billie was happy by the end of the book. Would not recommend this story to my friends.
on October 18, 2015
good novel for easy reading
on January 24, 2014
Want to read more by this author. Loved Longbourn too. Both should be movies. I think Longbourn is already being made.
on July 30, 2014
Wonderful story. Very well written
on February 10, 2014
This book, which I found I had read previously, appealed because it covers 4 generations and most of the 20th century
as well. William llives briefly, but is followed by son Billy, grandson Will and great-grandaughter Billie as the years
describe Britain at war, at peace and at war once again. Well written, it is a page turner for those of us who enjoy
following one family and the choices they make through the decades, spanning the years between 1914 and 2004.
I recommend it.
on December 30, 2013
Thought it would be closer to previous books in period. Not my favorite, but passed a day with some entertainment.
on June 3, 2012
After reading two favorable reviews, I eagerly ordered the Kindle version of The Undertow. I found the characters unappealing and uninteresting and their circumstances sordid. It was not until the final generation that I found a sympathetic individual. I was greatly disappointed as I had expected a truly compelling family saga.